Smelly lavs on PIA

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
speedbird london
Registered Member

Smelly lavs on PIA

Post by speedbird london »

Salaam to all,

My wife went to LHE (PK758) tonight, and she called me, once she sat in her seat, she was commplaining that her seat was near a lav, and it was smelling. I told her to tell the crew, to see if any other seats away from the lavs were available.
This brings me to my question, why are PK lavs, so smelly, specially on the older fleet. I mean, its not a staff or rebate ticket, its a full revenue ticket, and to eat food, witht he smell of a lav. is very off putting.
I've also experienced this on PK, from DXB-KHI on the A300 and A310. I appreciate there are no vacuum sys, but otherairlines manage to keep the smell confined within the lav module.
This could only mean, that:
1. Bad Maintenance of the water/waste sys in engineering
2. Incorrect servicing
3. Passengers don't know how to use the lavs

Please I'm open to comments, to find out if any others have experienced it.
I know for a fact, that we have aircraft coming in on base checks, in which the old type recycled waste tank is changed, flushed, and cleaned, this is a engineering function. It is also cabin crew duty to clean lavs every 30 mins in flight, and if smells are high, the aircraft is pulled out of service.
Does PIA have a similar regime.?????
pk757
Registered Member

Post by pk757 »

Hmm strange i asked my friend who is a steward in PIA.............. Yaar the toilets are cleaned, disenfected and deodorized by the cleaning staff at all domestic and esp intl stations, while the turnaround is in progress, plus they spray DETTOX OR aerosol savlon in the toilet vicinity during flight, s o i dunno why that happened
and he said NO, cabin crew is not supposed to clean the toilets no matter wut they can only throw blotting paper if the water overflows and spray airfreshseners which they do regularly.
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

I'm glad I never experienced that, I feel sorry for your wife. I would feel really sick if an odor like that was just floating around.
Boeing 787
Registered Member

Post by Boeing 787 »

Brother I would say the third option is responsible for this. If you really survey without prejudice, you will really come across the typical Pakistani mentality " o ji apna jhaz hay jis thar ha marzi istimal karo". PIA being oldest airline is subjected as if it is their own home. When these passengers sit on their seats, sometimes cross their legs with teir smelly socks on. Moreover, many times I have encountered that the passengers deal the cabin crew as if " on kay abay kay naukar hai". As far as toilets are concerned regular maintainance takes place but the people do not use it properly. You will find many stories regarding improper use of toilets and in extreme cases people also took bath in it. But when it comes to EK or any other airline then "lakir kay faqir".
speedbird london
Registered Member

Boeing787

Hi All,

Hey boeing787, I was thinking along the same lines, but was worried members may find it offensive. But it seems like the problem. Maybe lav designers should come out with a special, where the complete module is washable in a contained area. Though I would of thought as the world moves on and even the third world countries are moving forward, biti by bit, I'm sure majority of PK travellers are the educated type, so using ammenties such as a toilet should be straight forward.
As for our people bosing around, as its our own company, well then these people should be spoken to by the capt or senior cabin member, and firmly, ok if you lose a custom, there will plenty more.
Maybe an inflight video in all pakistani languages (regional) showing the correct use of lavs and other systems onboard maybe of help.
Nasir
Registered Member

Re: Boeing787

Post by Nasir »

speedbird london wrote:showing the correct use of lavs and other systems onboard maybe of help.
Heh, how do you "show" that you're supposed to place your bum on the toilet seat vs. placing both feet on it like a "qadamchi"?! :D
Junaid
Registered Member

Post by Junaid »

Heh, how do you "show" that you're supposed to place your bum on the toilet seat vs. placing both feet on it like a "qadamchi"?!
That is funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right Nasir. Some people are not familiar with the toilet seats. Another issue is washing after going to toilet as airplane toilets are not designed for washing. May be PIA can introduce wet wipes to get around the issue of washing. But again how would you show that you are supposed to wipe your b*m with wet wipes and not wash it :lol:
malpensa26
Registered Member

Post by malpensa26 »

toilets are blocked any many US carriers also and BA, Virgin and Alitalia. at least my flights were
malpensa26
Registered Member

Post by malpensa26 »

how come theres a banner for toilets at top :?
pkjet
Registered Member

Post by pkjet »

On the days when the Senior Purser is in a good mood, there is actually a video that follows the safety video and in it passengers are asked to leave the toilets clean for the next passenger and also to wipe down the basin.

As for smells, it's with every airline...............I smelt the worst ever smell on GF and it was mainly Europeans on the flight to AUH so there you go !
You can't be all things to all people...so just be nice !
speedbird london
Registered Member

blocked lavs

Well just to answer so members comments as lavs are blocked on other carriers. Yes, often, atleast they smell fresh though, well most times. As to why they are blocked, well, no offence to mothers, and ladies, nappies and sanitry towels are the biggest blockages. Even when there is a decal displaying not to dispose large items in toilet.

A way, an airline can illustrate the way a toilet is used can, be by using a animated film., ok not highly detailed, but enough to show the basic use of a toilet pan.
Also the idea of wet wipes is possible. There are solutions, but companies fail to spend money. though it could be a wise investment,as it will save alot on maintenance bills. I think you all know water and urine is highly corrosive on an airframe. And most corrosion is found around galleys and toilet areas.

Toilet signs above a member mentioned. I think the only signs im familiar with is the 'TOILETS OCCUPIED' comes on when all lav doors are latched in that particular zone.Meaning occupied.
sadiqhassan
Registered Member

Post by sadiqhassan »

:shock: I haver experienced something like that and I hope I never will. No wonder Seat Guru tells you to avoid the seats near the washrooms :)

Cheers
**Fly Emirates**

PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Cant really blame the airline...its more to do with type of passengers, as many are not customed to traveling or are but have no respect for PK property.. :roll:
bagold
Registered Member

Post by bagold »

At the risk of generalising the public from the sub-continent is not the most hygiene conscious or considerate to others. This is unlike some other nations such as the Turks, who by nature tend to keep their environment clean.

It is not a rich or poor thing. I have seen rich people of Pakistani origin (whether they live in Pakistan or have lived in the west for 30+ years) not think twice before throwing their litter onto the streets. I have seen poor areas in Istanbul and Northern Cyprus being cleaner than the poshest areas in Pakistan. I saw a street vendor clean a glass with more vigour than a Pakistani would at home.

The contrast is most noticeable during Haj. The areas occupied by Pakistanis, Indians, etc have the most smelly toilets. Even after 3 or 4 days in Mina, the areas occupied by Turks, Central Asians and Eastern Europeans have the most spotless toilets. Each of them are trained by habit to clean after them.