In-flight video system for PIA ATR-42-500

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

In-flight video system for PIA ATR-42-500

Post by Abbas Ali »

I got following info from my friend Syed Tariq Hussain:

There is an article in this week's Aviation Week & Space Technology (Jan 30, 2006) about ATR's order book. The last paragraph in the article states "Among ATR's several near term agenda items are completing qualifications of new in-flight video and lighting systems. Both are part of the sale of aircraft to Kingfisher and Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), and should be completed soon."

It seems that the PIA ATRs are going to have a full entertainment system.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
B777240ER
Registered Member

Post by B777240ER »

Glad to hear that!

When will the first ATR-42 be delivered.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

B777240ER wrote:When will the first ATR-42 be delivered.
PIA will get its first ATR-42 in May 2006.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Maybe PIA can lok into starting seasonal services on Gilgit-Kashgar route with these, CZ could code share on it. Hope they come in the new livery.
PIAinORD
Registered Member

Post by PIAinORD »

I don't think this entertainment system is going to be of the inseat PTV variety, but rather some drop down LCD's like United has on its Domestic A320's or the monitors on the A310 showing the route map, maybe some Urdu drama's, etc...
ord
Registered Member

Post by ord »

I agree with PIAinORD, I do not believe it is feasibe to put PTVs in every seat in the ATRs, as that will significantly increase the weight of the aircraft, compared with its thrust, and this will lead to major issues realting to climb rate, and most importantly the endurance and range.
Kashif
Registered Member

Post by Kashif »

I doubt that the celing height of the ATR is the same as A32X series, but I do hope anyeay a IFE for the ATR!
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

do we really need an IFE on aircraft that will be doing routes like turbat , panjgur , gilgit etc ?
just as ord said..it already is a low density aircraft...why clutter it further with problems reducing its pax carrying ability ?
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

What is the ceiling of an ATR-42-500 anyway ?
pkjet
Registered Member

Post by pkjet »

Sounds a bit strange considering larger and more modern PIA aircraft
( B743/B777/A310/737 and previously A300 don't/didnt offer inflight entertainment on domestic routes !

The 737 and A300 on international routes don't even offer audio ,never mind a full IFE programme !
You can't be all things to all people...so just be nice !
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

PIAinORD wrote:I don't think this entertainment system is going to be of the inseat PTV variety, but rather some drop down LCD's like United has on its Domestic A320's or the monitors on the A310 showing the route map, maybe some Urdu drama's, etc...
Most likely it is going to be drop down LCD coming down from the top interior level to keep weight of the aircraft down.
Adnan Anwar
Kashif
Registered Member

Post by Kashif »

What is the ceiling of an ATR-42-500 anyway ?
With Ceiling height I mean actually height in the cabin. It may be that the ATR42 ceiling is high enough for drop down LCD screens, either in the aisle (that is used on 737) or overhead (as used on A32x)
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Good news, maybe PIA has plans to use these on some Gulf routes that will need better entertainment to increase passenger demands. Many airlines today offer this as a minimum to all passengers travelling on international flights....

However after viewing some pics from a.net, i have not come across any airline that even offers drop down tvs in the cabin, so could this be a new feature going to be introduced on Kingfisher and PIA ?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0665693/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0646026/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0584628/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0551364/M/