Lahore flights delayed, diverted due to mist

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Lahore flights delayed, diverted due to mist

Post by Abbas Ali »

LAHORE: Over one dozen domestic and international flights were either delayed or diverted due to intense mist at Allama Iqbal International Airport (AIIA) Wednesday.

Glasgow-bound international flight PK-777 was scheduled to take off at 9:30am but it departed at 12:45pm. However, Chicago-bound PIA flight PK-713 took off with a minor delay of 10 minutes. It was scheduled to fly at 6:00am. Islamabad-bound flight PK-356 took off at 10:45am instead of 8:00am while another Islamabad-bound flight PK-386 took off at 2:35pm instead of its scheduled time of 2:00pm.

Karachi-bound flight PK-303 flew at 12:00 noon instead of 11:00am scheduled time while another flight for Karachi PK-307 flew at 11:00am instead of 10:00am scheduled time. Karachi-Lahore flight PK-306 was to land at the AIIA at 6:45pm but it was diverted to Islamabad due to poor visibility. Karachi-Lahore flight PK-312 was scheduled to land at the AIIA at 7:00pm but was diverted back to Karachi due to intense mist engulfing the airport.

Lahore-Multan flight PK-385 took off at 12:00 noon against its scheduled time of 9:30am. Hajj flight PK-1471 took off at 1:00pm instead of its scheduled time of 12:00 noon while another Hajj flight PK-1475 flew from the airport at 6:00pm instead of its scheduled time of 5:00pm.

As many as five major trains including Khayber Mail, Awam Express, Tezgam, Karachi Express, Quetta Express and Korakoram Express reached Lahore Railway Station late from two hours to four hours due to bad weather. Goods trains and containers also reached late their destinations.

Spokesman for the national flag carrier has advised the travellers to contact the PIA Call Centre Inquiry before finalising their travelling plan. He said weather pattern was beyond their control and earlier contact could save precious time of the travellers and ultimate inconvenience of delay in take-off of the flights.

Source: The News
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
PALPA
Registered Member

delayed

Post by PALPA »

Yeah! the visibility is very poor i gotta operate a domestic flight ! and on the props its terrible.Well see what happens.............
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Same was the case in Faisalabad last year, I remember my Dad was coming in from Karachi and flight got delayed and delayed and guess what there were no flights for faisalabad (LYP) for the next three days, he had to come on train then!

We would see similar kinds of delays in flights in next month or even in Feburary too.
Adnan
PakN'US
Registered Member

Post by PakN'US »

I hear it is real foggy in Lahore right now. I do not believe it will affect any of th eInternational flights at all or would it?
Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along came faster rats!!!
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

PakN'US wrote:I hear it is real foggy in Lahore right now. I do not believe it will affect any of th eInternational flights at all or would it?
ofcourse...all flights r affected
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

CAA ensuring safe traffic in fog

KARACHI:
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has installed Instrument Landing System (ILS) at airports to ensure safe landings and take offs in poor visibility due to dense fog in winter. Allama Iqbal International Airport (AIIAP) is accordingly equipped with latest ILS of CAT-II which offers safe landing and take off with visibility of 350m or more. At times visibility reduces to less than 100m, which is below the safety criteria laid down for aircraft operation. During the past two days visibility at and around AIIAP Lahore had deteriorated to less than 350m and affected flight schedules at Lahore.

The poor visibility at or around airports in Punjab is likely to persist for next two to three weeks. Passengers may experience delays due to poor visibility at airport.

Source: The News (December 23, 2005)

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Fog disrupts air traffic

LAHORE: Fog blanketed Thursday almost all parts of Punjab, NWFP and some parts of Sindh along the river Indus, causing delay or cancellation of domestic and international flights.

Flights schedule at Islamabad, Lahore, Peshawar, Faisalabad, Multan and other airports was badly affected, much to the inconvenience of travelers.

Fog blanketed Lahore on Thursday, reducing visibility and adding to the persisting cold and dry weather.

The mist, turning into fog early Thursday, caused delay or cancellation of domestic and international flights of PIA. As many as 16 flights of PIA flights were either delayed or diverted due to fog, causing inconvenience to passengers and their relatives.

Dammam-bound PIA flight PK-247, scheduled for 00:30 hours, took off at 14:55 hours due to bad weather.

Delhi-bound flight PK-270 took off at 17:00 hours instead of 14:30 hours scheduled time.

Dubai-bound flight PK-209 departed for its destination at 14:15 hours instead of 11:30 hours scheduled time to take off.

Jeddah-bound flight PK-759 departed at 22:45 hours instead of 19:45 hours due to poor visibility.

London-bound flight PK-757 could take off 14:15 hours against its scheduled time of 11:30 hours.

Paris-bound flight PK-749 took off at 17:00 hours instead of 13:20 hours.

Lahore-Quetta flight PK-323 was cancelled.

Lahore-Karachi flight PK-405 was scheduled to take off at 04:15 hours but it flew at 13:36 hours while another Lahore-Karachi flight PK-303 flew at 11:40 hours instead of 11:00 hours scheduled time.

The Lahore-Karachi bound flight PK-305 took off at 18:45 hours instead of 18:00 hours scheduled time.

Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-356 took off at 14:50 hours instead of 08:00 hours while another Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-390 flew towards its destination at 13:43 hours instead of 11:00 hours scheduled time.

Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-688 took off at 17:00 hours instead of scheduled time of 14:00 hours.

Lahore-Multan flight PK-385 took off at 13:00 hours instead of scheduled time of 09:30 hours.

Lahore-Multan bound flight PK-331 could take off at 13:47 hours instead of is scheduled time of 13:00 hours.

Spokesman for PIA said that due to inclement weather in most parts of the country, the punctuality/regularity graph of PIA flights has been badly affected.

The spokesman for the national flag carrier has said that the flights emanating from Lahore during this particular period of time are affected.

He said low visibility caused by the fog was causing delays in PIA flights operations at domestic and international routes.

The spokesman has advised the passengers to contact the flights inquiry phone numbers 111-786-786 and 9034999 to avoid inconvenience.

Source: The News (December 23, 2005)

See you at:
Kashif
Registered Member

Post by Kashif »

I see that only PIA flights are affected? What about other pakistani airlines and international airlines?

Does PIA CAT-II landings at all?
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

i think that ED cockpit crew is not CAT-III cleared...im not sure but i think they are not

my dad told me that while the crew were under training by the french in the start of the airline...one of them showed him auto land on the A320...from decend to reversers...all done by the a/c...wonder how that feels
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Yep, conditions at LHE are really deteriorating. My collegue who was meant to arrive at LHR at 3pm arrived at the time the flight was meant to leave that evening !!
PakN'US
Registered Member

Post by PakN'US »

Today I was informed by Local PIA office in Chicago that my flt #794 leaving ORD on Tuesday Dec. 27 will be delayed by almost 4 hours. Instead of leaving at 6:00 PM, it will be leaving at approximately 9:45 PM for MAN and then onwards to LHE.
Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along came faster rats!!!
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

PakN'US wrote:Today I was informed by Local PIA office in Chicago that my flt #794 leaving ORD on Tuesday Dec. 27 will be delayed by almost 4 hours. Instead of leaving at 6:00 PM, it will be leaving at approximately 9:45 PM for MAN and then onwards to LHE.
And you would have to see another delay in flight for LHE, local newspaper and T.V news said Lahore Airport remain closed for so many hours :shock:
Adnan
R.F.
Registered Member

Post by R.F. »

Hi Air Blue,
ED is only cleared CAT - 1 and between CAT-III is CAT -II, both these approaches require ground support equipment and lots of experience + training (all airline time), secondly Auto land does not have auto reverse thrust selection. It just has a auto roll out feature,reversers have be selected manually.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

Oh ok i guess its been a year since he told me that .. some changes in my mind have occured :P

my apologize
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Fog continues to disrupt flight schedule

LAHORE:
Fog continued to play havoc as it disrupted almost all the domestic and international flights on Sunday and Monday.

The weather experts forecast light rain in next 24 hours which could bring relief from the foggy weather in the provincial metropolis. They said the fog would stem down after the cloudy weather in various parts of the province. They said Multan, Rawalapindi, Nawab Shah, Faisalabad, Sahiwal and Multan were under the spell of fog which started on December 20.

The Met Office had forecast a few thunderstorm/rain in Lahore, Rawalpindi and Gujranwala divisions while cloudy weather was forecast in Sargodha, Faisalabad, Bahawalpur, Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan divisions. Maximum temperature was recorded 22.5 degree while minimum temperature was 01.5 degree. Relative humidity in the morning was 91 per cent while in the evening it was 39 per cent.

The Met Office experts said that at 8:00 pm Monday the visibility at Allama Iqbal International Airport was 4 kilometre which could reduce to 500 meter to 600 meter in the wee hours of Tuesday (today). But they said the visibility would improve after 11:00 am. The bad weather disturbed all the domestic and international flights on Monday.

Lahore-Delhi flight PK-270 was to take off at 1400 hours but it could fly at 0635 hours while Lahore-Dubai flight PK-203 could take off at 0421 hours instead of its scheduled time of 1615 hours. Lahore-Karachi flight PK-303 was scheduled to take off at 11:00 hours but it could fly at 1245 hours. Lahore-Karachi flight PK-305 was to take off at 1800 hours but it could fly at 1955 hours. Lahore-Karachi flight PK-307 was to take off at 2200 hours but it was cancelled due to inclement weather. Lahore-Karachi flight PK-405 was to fly at 0445 hours but it could take off at 1200 hours while Lahore-Karachi flight PK-315 was to take off at 0830 hours but it could fly at 1240 hours.

Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-356 took off at 1235 hours instead of its scheduled time of 0800 hours. Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-388 was scheduled to take off at 2000 hours but it could take off at 2020 hours. Lahore-Islamabad flight PK-688 was to take off at 1400 hours but it flew at 1535 hours. Lahore-Multan flight PK-385 was scheduled to take off at 0930 hours but it flew at 1155 hours while Lahore-Peshawar flight PK-391 was to take off at 1530 but it took off at 0525 hours.

Lahore-Quetta flight PK-323 took off at 1212 hours instead of its scheduled time of 1000 hours.

On Sunday, almost all the domestic and international flights took off late against their scheduled time. Lahore-Amsterdam flight PK-765 took off at 1415 hours instead of its scheduled time of 0915 hours.

Lahore-Dammam flight PK-201 took off at 2055 hours instead of 2045 hours scheduled time while Lahore-Dubai flight PK-209 took off at 1340 hours instead of at 1130 hours.

Lahore-Muscat flight PK-229 was to take off at 2130 hours but it could flew at 2220 hours. Lahore-Karachi flight PK 405 which was scheduled to take off at 0230 hours was cancelled due to inclement weather. The Lahore-Rome flight PK-737 could take off at 1500 hours instead of its scheduled time of 0830 hours on Sunday.

Source: The News

See you at: