BA Karachi

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
CoyBoy
Registered Member

BA Karachi

Post by CoyBoy »

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... /2437857/a

Some corrections:

BA quit KHI in April 1991, at the time they were flying in with a 763 via Dubai or Abu Dhabi due to Gulf war.

Prior to that they flew in via Kuwait using L1011-500 from 1980 onwards, the also brought in a 747-100/200 to complement the L1011 service in the late 80's, after a while it was then again down to an L1011-500 before being replaced with the 767.

Never heard of the Amman stop.
Last edited by CoyBoy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

didn't BA quit KHI in the 70's?? 90's i don't think so! BA has always flown to ISB ever since.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

BA quit KHI in 1991 for sure 100%, my aunt flew BA VC10 in 1978, in 1980 a newspaper showed their first L1011-500 flight to Karachi which replaced the VC10, many of my freinds and family flew BA L1011's throughout the 80's, infact in 1991 a cousin of mine flew BA to KHI in March and when the service ended in April 1st they transferred him to Lufthansa for the return trip, so 100% confirmed BA was here till March 1991.
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

I'm sure BA suspended KHI flights way back, in the 70's. Does anyone else have more information on this?
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Did you not read my post? I also participated in a BA competition in DAWN newspaper of March 1991 which clearly stated BA will end KHI service in April and winners will be flown on another airline.
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

yeah, your right coyboy. I seriously didn't know that. :?
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Do you think it will be feasible for BA to return to KHI or LHE ?? Is there enough demand, with all the gulf carriers around ??

Surely if BA introduced direct flight to UK and beyond then they could have a good chance ??
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

Never heard of the Amman stop.
There are 2 BA ex flight attendants who are Parsi like me who worked for BA from 1977 till 1985 and they both told me that from KHI they flew via AMM to London on the Tristars...hence my post on airliners.net on the route being via AMM.

Their names are Mrs Delna Mehta and Mrs Willie Bhappu (her husband is now head of Jet Airways in USA).
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Maybe some of the flights were via Amman because my relative who lives in Kuwait always flew BA till they rerouted the service, also in 1980s BA used to run a British TV commercial on PTV which would clearly mention " fly our Tristar 500 to Karachi via Kewate(brit accent) twice weekly" ending with the slogan we'll take more care of you.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

During college (1985-89) I regularly took British Airways from Boston, transiting at London, and into Islamabad.

Most of the flights into Islamabad were either via Doha and Abu Dhabi, don't remember via Kuwait.

All Islamabad flights were operated by the 747s, and I remember Karachi was a L1011 sector.

amaad
speedbird london
Registered Member

BA safely stay away from KHI and LHE

Post by speedbird london »

As inside information can reveal, BA has no intentions to restart services to KHI for the near future. There are many reasons in why they did stop, but the real reason will never be known. The reason which were given intenrally and externally in the company, were for economic and safety. though I personally believe that, its more a political reason. I also think that PIA have a big say in this, and maybe earning revenue for BA. Whose to say, that BA is assisting PIA in operations to UK, as PIA are fast expanding in this region.
It would be nice of BA to return to KHI, as I also used to fly on the Tristars, and wow! what a beautiful flight deck. It made the boeings look like mickey mouse stuff. I mean it was very simple, open and hi vision. Specially in the observer seat. I have been with BA for over 15 years know, and we have not flown to KHI since.
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

speedbird since you are a BA employee maybe you can correct the information regarding KHI route in the 80's, I can confirm uptil 1986 they flew via Kuwait.

Amaad the discussion is about KHI, not ISB they had different routings so you wouldnt know.
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

Cuts in a number of uneconomic services were announced, including the withdrawal on 29 March of all services from the UK to the Republic of Ireland. Also to be withdrawn were services to Amsterdam (from Gatwick), Banjul, Freetown, Karachi and Nassau, and Concorde services to Miami.
B777240ER
Registered Member

Post by B777240ER »

[quote="PK777"]Do you think it will be feasible for BA to return to KHI or LHE ?? Is there enough demand, with all the gulf carriers around ??
[quote]

Yes there is the demand and it is feasible to start LHE.

KHI has too much competition from the gulf carriers.
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

B777240ER wrote:
PK777 wrote:Do you think it will be feasible for BA to return to KHI or LHE ?? Is there enough demand, with all the gulf carriers around ??
Yes there is the demand and it is feasible to start LHE.

KHI has too much competition from the gulf carriers.
I thought so, considering PIA is the only airline currently doing the LHR-LHE flights direct, surely if BA starts these many pax may switch...