PIA 1:200 scale 'Corporate' 777 model

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Moin
Registered Member

PIA 1:200 scale 'Corporate' 777 model

Post by Moin »

A friend of mine has been auditing PIA for quite a while and about a week back while at the PIA head office mentioned to someone in the airline that he'd love to have a 777 model and the person concerned there and then made a phone call and within 10 mins this model was presented to him. Its the 1:200 Skymarks 772 with the Lahore and Thar tails and even though its labelled an LR its actually an ER as SM mistakenly added the ER wings. I have the retail version of this model but was surprised to discover that PIA has these models available which they present as gifts to their clients and corporate excutives. I took these 2 pics today while visiting this friend of mine and in a way I'm quite impressed not to mention pleasantly surprised:

Moin Abbasi
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

Actually that's a B777-200 LR/ER.

I flew on it from Toronto to Pak.

Observe carefully in this video and you'll see the emergency card it says Boeing777 ER/LR

LRs and B777-200ERs look identical on the outside except that LR has extra fuel tanks installed inside.

I have the exact same plane I bought in Aviation world in Toronto and yes it includes the Thar tale as well.
I was going to upload a pic I had of it but since you've already done it I guess I'll post it in a pic with all my other model planes I have here in Toronto.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as a 772ER/LR. It is either an ER or LR not both. They are 2 different a/c. The reason the safety card mentions ER/LR is because the number of emergency exits are the same on both a/c and that should not be interpreted as meaning its one and the same a/c as the ER and LR are distinctive in the sense that the LR has 'raked' wingtips as on the 773ER and the ER has the standard 772 wing tips. The LR does also have additional fuel capacity but the raked wingtips are what identify it as an LR. Sometimes its hard to tell which a/c is which from some angles. Below is a pic of my PIA 772LR and observe the wingtips on this one and then on the other model, you will notice the difference and why I said that the manufacturer erred by adding ER wings to what is supposed to be a model of the LR:

Moin Abbasi
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Engines also help aviation spotters in differentiating between Boeing 777-240ER & Boeing 777-240LR. The two aircraft are powered with different engines.

The -240ER is fitted with General Electric GE90-94B turbofans while -240LR is fitted with more powerful General Electric GE90-110B1L turbofans. The two most obvious differences between these two engines are different position for hot air exhaust on engine cowling and different fan blade shape. The GE90-110B1L has swept back fan blades.

On following two links we can see different position for hot air exhaust (the small bare metal rectangular area with exhaust hole) on engine cowling. On GE90-94B it's in the middle on engine's front side while on GE90-110B1L it's near bottom of engine's front side.

Photo of General Electric GE90-94B Turbofan Engine: http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1228387

Photo of General Electric GE90-110B1L Turbofan Engine: http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1264074

I would also like to add that above two photo links show port side of the aircraft where the position of engine’s hot air exhaust is clearly visible to spotters & photographers. On aircraft’s starboard side, side of engine cowling with hot air exhaust is towards aircraft fuselage making it visible to passengers.

And following two photos show difference in two engines' fan blade shape.

Fan blades of General Electric GE90-94B turbofan engine of a PIA Boeing 777-240ER - Copyright SENIOR

Swept back fan blades of General Electric GE90-110B1L turbofan engine of a PIA Boeing 777-240LR - Copyright SENIOR
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

This shows the wealth of information on this forum and the attention to detail possessed by some enthusiasts.

Kudos! :-)
ahmedshaikhani
Registered Member

Post by ahmedshaikhani »

Nice Information Abbas BHai
PIA - F27, ATR42, A310, B742, B743, B772, B773 | SA - A300, B743, B744, B772 | EK - A332, A345, B773 | Thai A300, A333, A346, B744, B772 | Malaysian B734, A332, B772 | Air Asia A320 | Fire Fly ATR72.
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

Ah yes you make a good point.

Yes that's what I noticed when flying to Toronto on AP-BGZ, the shape of it's wings.

The only thing I would have to do then is replace the wings and engine blades
wings of my B777-200.

But aside from that I think the fusalage and the size of the engines of the LR are identical to the B777-200
iqbal
Registered Member

Post by iqbal »

fan blades are the give away - however when the engine is running its hard to spot - so the raked wingtips is the main give away factor.
Iqbal Malik
------------------------------------------
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

Technically speaking then there is such thing as ER/LR i mean aside from the bent wings and the blades the B777-200ER and the LR look identical from the outside to me though i could be wrong.

And even though the term ER/LR is not used what I mean is technically they are the same in appearance besides the 2 differences in the models.
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

Moin did you attach LR wings to your model? For one it does not look like the fusalage of an LR. I find the LR fusalage much more curved and oval shaped compared to the ER.

Also I saw a model of AP-BGY at Aviation world, and it's an ER (though it also has the same mistake of showing the LR sign on the tail) and when I was looking at PIA models online, the 200-ER model pic was registered as AP-BGY as well.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

My dear, the 772ER and LR have the same fuselage. Its only the 773 and 773ER that have longer fuselages and even those share the same fuselage. Have a good look at pics of the 772ER and 77L and you will notice that they are both exactly the same.

If you still are not convinced, contact the Boeing company.
Moin Abbasi
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

well that's wierd because here's a pic of a model of Ap-BGY

http://www.airspotters.com/index.asp?fu ... 772p01.jpg

I am not disputing that that the 200ERs & LRs have the same size fusalage just a bit more curved in LRs are around the nose from what i can see
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Yup thats the other version of the Skymarks PIA 777 without the landing gears and optional 2 tails. Both models are made using the same mould and the Skymarks 777's in other airlines also use the same mould.

You cannot judge the overall structure of an a/c by looking and comparing it with a model made in Taiwan. Skymarks make very good models and their newer version of the PIA 77L with the 2 tails has the raked wingtips. The fuselage is the same, they just added LR wings.

Both a/c are the same, just like the standard 777-200, 777-200ER and 777-200LR. They share the same fuselage, only the engine thrust rating, fuel capacity and in the case of the LR raked wingtips are the difference. The 777-300 and 777-300ER also share the same fuselage except that the ER version has only GE engines with a higher thrust rating and raked wingtips.
Moin Abbasi