PIA Inflight Music from 1977 to 1980

Share info & photos related to PIA and Pakistan aviation collectible items like stickers, airline safety cards, postcards, in-flight music, art work, modified photos and other miscellaneous Pakistan aviation related hobbies.
ksekha
Registered Member

PIA Inflight Music from 1977 to 1980

Post by ksekha »

Folks,

I was a frequent PIA traveller in the 1970s and 1980s. The best PIA Inflight music was during the late 1970s.

During those days, PIA flight attendants handed out to the passengers a one-page sheet that listed all the audio channels and their listings. The audio selection changed every 3-6 months and was given its numerical sequence. The first such audio selection started when PIA acquired the DC-10-30 in 1974. The first audio selection was called audio programme # 1.

The on-board music played especially during take off and landing was Pakistani Instrumental Music.

Although each audio programme had a lifespan of 3-6 months, PIA's audio programme # 7 went on for over a year during 1977 and 1978. Some aircraft, notably the AP-AXC (DC-10) and AP-AYV (Boeing 747-200) continued with this audio programme until 1979. The Pakistani Instrumental music within audio programme # 7 was most definitely the best ever.

PIA's Pakistani Instrumental music as per audio programme # 8 was released by EMI (Pakistan) Ltd under the title of "PIA Inflight Music Volume 2". Each of the thirteen tunes in that volume is the exact tune as per audio programme number eight. However other audio programmes were never released commercially in their entirety.

Over the years, EMI released several PIA Inflight Music cassettes but these contained only a selection of tunes from 1974 onwards, but never an entire audio programme of Pakistani Instrumental music (except for audio programme # 8).

Fortunately, through the inflight music listings, I was able to create audio programmes 7 through to 10 in its entirety.

I HAVE HIGHEST QUALITY AUDIO CD FILES (WAV FORMAT) AS WELL AS GOOD QUALITY COMPRESSED MP3 FILES OF AUDIO PROGRAMMES 7 THROUGH TO 11.

By the way, audio programme # 7 contained hits such as "Allah Hi Allah", "Dil Dharke", "Bol Re Gurya" and many other lovely tunes.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY OF THE ABOVE AND I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP.

Regards,

Kamran
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

Are you able to upload these files onto a hosting server and provide the links on this forum?
ksekha
Registered Member

Post by ksekha »

Nasir wrote:Are you able to upload these files onto a hosting server and provide the links on this forum?
Yes I can do that but it will take a week or two. I have just started a website, and once it is ready I will upload the files.
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

I believe the entire HOP clan will wait with baited breath for the website. You may want to prepare for an overload...
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Welcome to forum ksekha :)
ksekha wrote:
Nasir wrote:Are you able to upload these files onto a hosting server and provide the links on this forum?
Yes I can do that but it will take a week or two. I have just started a website, and once it is ready I will upload the files.
Yes, please go ahead and share links with all of us after uploading files.

For years I have been trying to find 80s PIA instrumental music of Mehdi Hassan's super hit song 'Mujhay tum nazar say giraa tau rahay ho' and also PIA instrumental of 80s PTV super hit drama serial 'Dhoop Kinaray' title/background music. Do you have them in your collection?

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ksekha
Registered Member

Post by ksekha »

Abbas Ali wrote:Welcome to forum ksekha :)
ksekha wrote:
Yes, please go ahead and share links with all of us after uploading files.

For years I have been trying to find 80s PIA instrumental music of Mehdi Hassan's super hit song 'Mujhay tum nazar say giraa tau rahay ho' and also PIA instrumental of 80s PTV super hit drama serial 'Dhoop Kinaray' title/background music. Do you have them in your collection?

Abbas
Hello Abbas,

Thank you for your private message and for your welcome message.

In fact, I am uploading my entire PIA collection right now. It should be ready by first thing tomorrow morning. I shall then post a link to where you can download the mp3 tunes.

After 1985, I became an infrequent traveller with PIA, so I have never come across the two tunes that you have been searching for.

Amazingly, it took me 23 long years to find my most favourite PIA tune, and one that was very popular on PIA. I did not give up and in January 2001, I finally found it through the help of people in EMI (Pakistan). The PIA inflight music listing had an error and the tune that was played on board was mistakenly listed as some other tune.

I tried with several sources in Pakistan, including the musician Arshad Mahmud and the TV artist Anwar Maqsood, who worked in EMI at that time, but gave up after 10 years of trying. I then tried hard again and this time met Nisar Bazmi, the famous composer who had conposed this tune. Nisar Bazmi did not have his own tune in his collection but he remembered someone by the name of Asif in EMI that worked in their archive department. I contacted Asif, paid his EMI staff to conduct a search of their entire library and my missing tune was finally found after 23 years!

So there is hope that I can find the tunes for you by contacting EMI again.

I will post the mp3 download links by tomorrow morning.

Until then, take care.

Kamran
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ksekha wrote:In fact, I am uploading my entire PIA collection right now. It should be ready by first thing tomorrow morning. I shall then post a link to where you can download the mp3 tunes.

I will post the mp3 download links by tomorrow morning.
Great :thumbs_up:
ksekha wrote:So there is hope that I can find the tunes for you by contacting EMI again.
I really appreciate it, I really want to have them in my collection.

I guess PIA in-flight instrumental of 'Dhoop Kinaray' drama serial title/background music also was done by renowned Pakistani musician Arshad Mahmud. Arshad also played a role in 'Dhoop Kinaray' drama serial and I guess he also composed background music for the drama serial.

Since, according to some of PIA in-flight instrumental music cassettes, a number of PIA in-flight music instrumentals were prepared by Arshad Mahmud so I guess PIA in-flight instrumental of 'Dhoop Kinaray' drama serial title/background music also was created by Arshad Mahmud.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ksekha
Registered Member

Post by ksekha »

Abbas,

You are right about Arshad Mahmud. He actually played a role in selecting tunes for PIA inflight music, as well as providing his own compositions.

Arshad Mahmud was an EMI employee during the 1970s and 1980s. I last met him in 2001 when he was running his own music studio by the name of Sound Musical Business. He is a great guy. I suggest you locate him and ask for his help on the missing tunes.

Regards,

Kamran
iahashmi1961
Registered Member

Re: PIA Inflight Music from 1977 to 1980

Post by iahashmi1961 »

Dear All
I have frequently traveled from PIA on various routes being in the forces and have enjoyed in flight music. I am trying to compile the tunes which were released by EMI Pakistan which is also vanished. Please help if someone has a link in which he or she has uploaded the music.
Thank