MY giant scale RC fleet....

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

MY giant scale RC fleet....

Post by ConnieMan »

Three years ago i decided to switch from small 40sz to 90sz RC glow engine models to giant scale models, well it was huge change for me as everything gets more expansive and bigger when you do it. I started switching slowly by selling off all the models that i had about 50 of them and wasn't flying them to ones i did flew but at very minimum times. This included sport planes and small scale single engine models mostly.

My very first entry into giant scale was with my multi engined scratch build model of Lockheed Super Constellation L1049G, its still under construction but most of all major work is all done now. Then i started to buy or trade in bigger models and scale RC helicopters. Last year i got huge 1/15th scale model of B727-200 kit from German Kranz models with wingspan of 10-1/2feet and same for the fuselage length!, i haven't built it yet but its one of the very rear airliner models to come by, so eventually i will get on to it at some point in future.

Then recently i traded my scale heli for 96" wingspan model of DHC-2 Radial Beaver as ready to fly model a4 stroke engine and a HOG biplane. After this i picked up DHC-2 Turbo Beaver as well since i had bought it earlier this year but didn't picked it up until couple nights ago.

Today i bought another huge model of Cessna C310G built from Bud Nosen kit!, it's massive at 10 foot wingspan but it's fin and fuselage is much wider and taller then B727's so this is the biggest model in my inventory so far. I will be getting two 26cc gas engines for it with full set of retracts, struts, wheels and brakes for it soon.

So there you go:

Super Constellation 1/14th scale
Lancaster Bomber 1/10th scale
B727-200 1/15th scale
DHC 2 Beaver 1/5th scale
DHC-2 Turbo Beaver 1/5th scale
Bell Long Ranger 1/4 scale
Cessna C310G 1/4 scale
and Beechcraft Bonanza F33 1/6th scale
Last edited by ConnieMan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

amazing collection Sameer, thanks for sharing....

B727 seems bit strange in shape, i think you have to work on it a lot to make it in perfect shape....

Regarding the Bell Long Ranger, how one can get trained to fly it and what approx. time is required to learn?

Overall, after viewing your collection; my memories been recalled that time which i spent at Hobby Lobby, Lahore.
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Hey no problem, i like sharing the hobby with other hobbyists.

Yeah 727 will take some extra effort to make it into full scale replica from the parts of Norbert Rouch's B727-200 kit. His models are about same size as this. It will be fabrication job more then anything else.

Well flying helicopters is totally different ball game then airplanes, they are more difficult to fly and way more expansive to buy and maintain!, average heli crash can be $100 plus easily!!. There are 5 controls functioning on helis at the same time so one have to be competent to be able to fly them. I have flown them on RC simulators but not in real life.

I knew there were 2 shops in Lahore at one time, one was in Liberty Market and other was in "C" block market in model town, i wonder if they are still in business.

Do you fly RC models?, seems like you are passionate also in these RC models also. The picture of my Connie is old one from last year, i have done quite a bit more work on it already but still not painted as yet.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

ConnieMan wrote:Well flying helicopters is totally different ball game then airplanes, they are more difficult to fly and way more expansive to buy and maintain!, average heli crash can be $100 plus easily!!. There are 5 controls functioning on helis at the same time so one have to be competent to be able to fly them. I have flown them on RC simulators but not in real life.
I have also given try number of times in FS but most of the time i get crash, reasons are that i am not aware of the proper controls :roll:
ConnieMan wrote:I knew there were 2 shops in Lahore at one time, one was in Liberty Market and other was in "C" block market in model town, i wonder if they are still in business.
The time when i join Hobby Lobby, it was located in Hafeez Center and the factory was in LCCHS main market. Last time when i went there approx. 3 or 4 years back, they relocated at some complex in Liberty Round about but dont know if they are still there....
ConnieMan wrote:Do you fly RC models?, seems like you are passionate also in these RC models also.
No, but i am keen to invest some $$$ in this hobby as well...not now but in future, hopefully when i will be ready to start work on then my preference for the design will be either F27 Friendship or DHC6 Twin Otter in some PIAs livery!

And for your Connie model, when you expect the main structure will be complete?
Raihan SR Bakhsh

EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
kamalla
Registered Member

Post by kamalla »

That's a very nice collection of models.
I'm just curious as to where you store all these models? In your garage or do you have a separate room in your house for working on & displaying your models?
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

What size of DHC-6 "Twin Otter" you are hoping to build, would this be from kit of some sort or scratch built model?. There are few TOtter kits floating around from different producers, let me know when you are ready and i'll hook you up.

I also like to do a model of Fokker F-27 too, i know there are plans available for it as another RC modeler friend has them. I am not aware of any kits of this aircraft ever produced unless some company did made them many many moons ago of which i am not aware off.

I would highly recommend you join a RC club and then learn to fly simple large size high wing trainer with semi-symmetrical or flat airfoil and lots of dihedral, once you pass this stage with "Wings" program then you can move on to 2nd stage low wing trainer. It may take you couple years before you can fly a scale model!. I know we all want to fly models of scale planes we like right off the back but it's not that simple, you have to go through training first as there are miniature flying planes themselves and are NOT TOYS!!!...

As for my Constellation it all depends on my health, i have severe back problem for last 2 years (multiple slip disks) and it's still not cured as yet!, so once i pass over my health issues i can finish the model also. Be assure "It will be finished and will be flown!" Inshaallah...
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

ConnieMan wrote:What size of DHC-6 "Twin Otter" you are hoping to build, would this be from kit of some sort or scratch built model?. There are few TOtter kits floating around from different producers, let me know when you are ready and i'll hook you up.
i want to build the model from scratch using balsa wood and expected wingspan 10', either Twin Otter or the F27, whichever suits me better design wise....and of course i will ask you for assistance as you are having much experience than me... :)
ConnieMan wrote:I also like to do a model of Fokker F-27 too, i know there are plans available for it as another RC modeler friend has them. I am not aware of any kits of this aircraft ever produced unless some company did made them many many moons ago of which i am not aware off.
could you please check the plans are for what scale size for F27?
ConnieMan wrote:I would highly recommend you join a RC club and then learn to fly simple large size high wing trainer with semi-symmetrical or flat airfoil and lots of dihedral, once you pass this stage with "Wings" program then you can move on to 2nd stage low wing trainer. It may take you couple years before you can fly a scale model!. I know we all want to fly models of scale planes we like right off the back but it's not that simple, you have to go through training first as there are miniature flying planes themselves and are NOT TOYS!!!...
Hopefully, will buy a trainer R/C initially and after that will raise the model from scratch....and yes R/Cs aren't TOYS!

May Allah bless you with health (Ameen)
Raihan SR Bakhsh

PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

It seems ou have a lot of time on your hands.. recovered well from the hospital?
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

PK777 wrote:It seems ou have a lot of time on your hands.. recovered well from the hospital?
I just wised i had recovered but no i didn't!, it's still going on and now my back is worse then before, destined for another hospital trip that i am not looking forward to at this time but let see what happens. Looking into Spine decompression procedure now. Yeah when you get into long term disability you do get lots of unwanted time on your hands...