PIA why not Moscow's Domodedovo airport?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
CoyBoy
Registered Member

PIA why not Moscow's Domodedovo airport?

Post by CoyBoy »

They do serve the newer airports in most other cities so why the old Sheremetyevo for Moscow? any chances of transfer to DME which is newer and up to better international standards which SVO is not, many airlines have already done so, PIA themselves moved from Paris ORY to CDG Terminal 1 in the 90's.
Kashif
Registered Member

Post by Kashif »

I don't think the issue of SVO or DME is so important as their stupid routing via DXB. When (if) they decide to offer nonstop from pakistan and they offer decent frequency (atleast 3x weekly) then they can think of moving to DME.
bagold
Registered Member

Post by bagold »

" any chances of transfer to DME which is newer "

Have they refurbished it? When I was there in the mid-90's it resembled a scene from an old James Bond movie. Both SVO and DME were pretty decripid.
ord
Registered Member

Post by ord »

Kashif wrote:I don't think the issue of SVO or DME is so important as their stupid routing via DXB. When (if) they decide to offer nonstop from pakistan and they offer decent frequency (atleast 3x weekly) then they can think of moving to DME.
Kashif,

The reason this route is via DXB is because there is not much O&D demand between Pakistan and Russia. However, from what I have heard, load factors on DXB-SVO sector are well above 90%, so apparently they are getting a lot of 5th freedom traffic.
bagold wrote:Have they refurbished it? When I was there in the mid-90's it resembled a scene from an old James Bond movie. Both SVO and DME were pretty decripid.
Yes, it was privatized and purchased by the East Line Group. They have completely renovated it and a number of foreign carriers, including BA, LX, EK, QR are now using it. It is now probably the best run airport in the former USSR and is the best run aiport in Russia.
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

Singapore Airlines will inaugurate a flight to Moscow as of 17 January 2006. Flight number is SQ 356. The flight will be operated via DXB with full 5th freedom rights. A B777-200ER will be used. Flights will be operated on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

well well well...just what PIA didnt need on the DXB-SVO-DXB route...another high quality airline competing for 5th freedom rights from DXB to Moscow!!! So from January, PIA will be competing on this nonstop route with EK-SU and SQ!!!
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

SVO also has its fair share of airlines despite being out of shape heres the list of carriers that land there (including code shares flights) http://www.sheremetyevo-airport.ru/comp/

beharmjee nothing in SQ flight schedules/time table yet on the service, and why to SVO? check the new look website www.singaporeair.com
bagold
Registered Member

Post by bagold »

SVO seemed to be a lot closer to Moscow (Red Square area) than DME.