PIA Lahore to Karachi Airbus A320 Flight Crashes

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
rvlhassan
Registered Member

Re: PIA Lahore to Karachi Airbus A320 Flight Crashes

Post by rvlhassan »

arshad.altaf wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:06 pm Does Pakistan SIB have the capacity to retrieve recording from salvaged cockpit voice recorder and also the data recorder?

Arshad
Doubt it. I believe that CVRs have been sent abroad for data retrieval but don't take my word for it.
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Shocking! They should have closed the runway regardless, but shows once again Pakistani negligence.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

baberblues wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:42 pm Shocking! They should have closed the runway regardless, but shows once again Pakistani negligence.
My thoughts exactly. Soon after the incident yesterday they were talking about clearing the crash site as quickly as possible, while I was wondering if that means after collecting the evidence or before.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to Karachi Airport runway inspection report prepared by Pakistan CAA.

Left engine scrape marks 4500 feet from runway start.

Right engine scrape marks 5500 feet from runway start.

Both engines scrape marks 6000 feet to 7000 feet from runway start.

Cockpit crew did not inform air traffic control about emergency landing.

Abbas

See you at:
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

The crew was unprofessional. This was no accident. It was pilot error.

On the first approach, the aircraft maintained an overall flight path angle of 6.57 degrees (as opposed to the normal 3 degrees). The tower offered them a left-360 so that they could loose altitude gradually. They declined the offer and said they were "comfortable" and "established on ILS 25L" (which means both the glide slope and the localizer). Here, the pilots were actually dishonest as they were too high (3,500' at 5 miles instead of being 3,000' at 10 miles) to be on the glide slope.

With such a steep approach (20% steeper than London City airport's 5.5 degrees and 100% steeper than Karachi's 3 degrees), they forgot to deploy the landing gear. The engine pods made contact with the runway thrice and damaged the main fans of both the engines. The pilots knew they had fucked up and in an apparent attempt to cover up their mistake, they tried to go around. The damage to the engines was serious and after over-temping the engine cores a couple minutes later due to the damaged main fans, the engines quit completely by the time they were on short finals the second time.

I have tried to be as diplomatic as I could but when this is looked in light of numerous instances of drunk crews attempting to fly PIA aircraft and last year's steep and fast approach into Gilgit, I see no other way to put this. The incompetent crew of last year's ATR accident is still on PIA's payroll. Had they been fired, this incidence may not have happened in the first place. The "sub chalta hai" is taking over PIA flight crews like a storm.

The air force guy leading PIA must go and entire cockpit crew of PIA needs to undergo behavioral and technical evaluation. Those found to be incompetent or irresponsible should be fired with no remorse. Thanks.
Last edited by SM on Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SM
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Dead bodies of Capt. Sajjad Gul and Purser Fareed Ahmed have arrived in Lahore on a PIA flight from Karachi.

Probably PIA Airbus A320 (registration AP-BLU) that arrived in Lahore at 8:07 PM as flight PK8304 from Karachi.

Source: flightradar24.com

Abbas

See you at:
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

Abbas Ali wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 pm Dead bodies of Capt. Sajjad Gul and Purser Fareed Ahmed have arrived in Lahore on a PIA flight from Karachi.

Probably PIA Airbus A320 (registration AP-BLU) that arrived in Lahore at 8:07 PM as flight PK8304 from Karachi.

Source: flightradar24.com

Abbas
Sajjad Gul's and his F/O's bodies should be sent for toxicology analysis and findings should be made public ASAP.

His and his F/O's behavior yesterday were nothing short of being under the influence while on the controls of a $50 million jet with 100 precious lives.
SM
rvlhassan
Registered Member

Post by rvlhassan »

Alarming stuff.
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

For me all of this boils down to going back to the beginning. Why where they high to begin with? Was there something else going on in the cockpit that had them preoccupied that they were at double the height, 5 miles out? I really do hope they are able to get the CVR and FDR analyzed quickly. After that recent episode where jets were scrambled over europe with radio silence in the plane and now this incident where there has been a catastrophic loss of life with fingers once again pointing at the flight crew, something really needs to change.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Investigators at crash site.

Nineteen houses, including two severely, damaged by the air crash, according to Sindh Government.

Abbas

See you at:
Ansari99
Registered Member

Post by Ansari99 »

I don’t think we should we pointing fingers at the crew already, there is only circumstantial evidence and the crew were evidently trying to execute a low fly pass, so that ATC could asses the situation. Therefore something occurred which potentially lead to the engine hitting the runway. Both engines hitting at different points on the runway proves that the pilot wasn’t trying to land but was trying to control the plane for a safe fly by. And the pilots must have been pre occupied with something Which lead to them being to high. Possibly the landing gear, we cannot blame the pilots for being to high as go around are regular. This matter needs to investigated throughly but it’s to early for us to blame the crew, considering they gave it their best and could not make it
rvlhassan
Registered Member

Post by rvlhassan »

Fair point however being THAT high is very very alarming + the abnormal angle.
oozeman64
Registered Member

Post by oozeman64 »

Ansari99 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:52 pm I don’t think we should we pointing fingers at the crew already, there is only circumstantial evidence and the crew were evidently trying to execute a low fly pass, so that ATC could asses the situation. Therefore something occurred which potentially lead to the engine hitting the runway. Both engines hitting at different points on the runway proves that the pilot wasn’t trying to land but was trying to control the plane for a safe fly by. And the pilots must have been pre occupied with something Which lead to them being to high. Possibly the landing gear, we cannot blame the pilots for being to high as go around are regular. This matter needs to investigated throughly but it’s to early for us to blame the crew, considering they gave it their best and could not make it
If they were attempting a low pass, why were they cleared to land? I believe it was an actual attempted landing.
// The air is far safer than the ground //
Ansari99
Registered Member

Post by Ansari99 »

rvlhassan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm Fair point however being THAT high is very very alarming + the abnormal angle.
Yes it is, evidently there was something going on and u can tell there was a hostile environment through the ATC communication. But being high and at the wrong angle doesn’t bring down a plane. The question is why didn’t the landing gear retract. Why are our planes in such conditions.