PIA Boeing 747-200B Aircraft Model at Karachi Booking Office

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

PIA Boeing 747-200B Aircraft Model at Karachi Booking Office

Post by Abbas Ali »

Saw this nice looking model of a Boeing 747-200B with Pratt & Whitney engines wearing 1990s PIA livery, in DAWN News channel report from airline's Karachi Booking Office.

Engine covers should also have been painted white like they were in 1990s livery.

Anyway, it's good to see this model retaining 1990s livery because PIA Boeing 747s powered with Pratt & Whitney engines did not receive liveries that were introduced after 1990s livery.

Abbas
Last edited by Abbas Ali on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Re: PIA Boeing 747-200B Aircraft Model at Karachi Airport

Post by Moin »

Abbas that model is at the PIA Sidco Center ticket office not at JIAP, thank God, or else it would probably have been smashed to pieces by now by those unruly thugs.
Moin Abbasi
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: PIA Boeing 747-200B Aircraft Model at Karachi Booking Of

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Thank you Moin for correction.

In one of TV news reports I also saw a PIA kiosk/cabin with smashed windows at Karachi Airport.

Btw, a model of PIA Boeing 747-200B of same scale/size was also on display at PIA main booking office in Lahore. Till early 1990s it was in green & gold livery and later it was repainted in 1990s livery perfectly.

Proabably for reapainting the model in 1990s livery they dismantled it and sent it to model manufacturer to get it repainted because I found it repainted perfectly in 1990s livery.

I hope that model is still there at Lahore office.

Abbas

See you at:
Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

The 777 model in Karachi was also repainted after the most recent livery change (and quite meticulously might I add). I think that the non-livery specific details (windows, cabin/cargo doors, etc) would require that the models be sent to the original manufacturer for repaints.

samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

The last time i was at the PIA Lahore Booking office the model was there but one of its wings were damaged, and the paint work of the 90's livery was peeling off. Thats all i can say about it. :x

Lahori's are more worried about halwa and chicken karahi, rather than airplane models... :-k
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Probably in case of Boeing 747 model in 1990s livery at Karachi booking office only fuselage and tail sections were sent for repainting in 1990s livery and someone forgot to send wings to get engine covers painted in white colour.

Maybe that's why engines were left in bare metal colour scheme the way they were in early years of green & gold livery.

Just a wild guess.

Abbas

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

That Pacmin 773ER in the head office was repainted in-house and took less than a week to complete, as was the ATR-72 model next to it. The paint job is flawless and just about perfect. My guess is that all these models were at one time or another repainted locally. What a shame that their final destination is the junk dealer. If only I could get hold of one of these big models for about a month I can have an identical copy made of it in my choice of airline/livery.

As for Lahori's and food, I think I can safely say that everyone in Pakistan, not just Lahore, would care more for food than model planes. The former is a necessity, the latter a novelty, luxury and frivolity.
Moin Abbasi
mhansari
Registered Member

Post by mhansari »

I only wish the livery painted on the 1:1 773ER was the same as this. Would have looked much better.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Yes the green/gold stripe going to the APU at the back is more streamlined and has a proper curvature.
Moin Abbasi
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: PIA Boeing 747-200B Aircraft Model at Karachi Booking Office

Post by Abbas Ali »

Photographed on December 15, 2015.

Source: ummat.net

Abbas

See you at:
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

Abbas 90s livery never had white engines, they were always painted grey.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Right. Thanks for correction.

Engines in that B747 model are shown as bare metal.

Abbas

See you at: