PIA Lahore to Karachi Airbus A320 Flight Crashes

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
A310
Registered Member

Re: PIA Lahore to Karachi Airbus A320 Flight Crashes

Post by A310 »

baberblues wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:56 pm Please take this bitterness elsewhere
They just need an excuse to expose their crude egos.
A310
Registered Member

Post by A310 »

SM wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm
Pakistan-1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:51 pm
A310 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Pakistan-1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:01 pm
A310 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:12 am ^Ever heard of ‘tone deaf’?
Ever heard of the crash of PK8303? Which will be the textbook case on pilot error for decades to come?
There’s a time and place to be whiny and petty. Not on a death anniversary.
An anniversary we wouldn’t have if the pilots did their job.
We need and have someone to defend incompetent pilots.
We need and have someone who says a pilot approached Gilgit at 300 kts on an ATR.
t-rehman
Registered Member

Post by t-rehman »

Is it possible from Interim Statement to interpret when the report would be issued?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Chief Executive Officer PIA, Air Marshal (Retired) Arshad Malik in his message termed the day as the darkest day in the history of the national flag carrier and said that all possible measure are taken to avert such a tragic incident in future. He said that Safety Management System of the PIA was reinforced and it was working more efficiently.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
arshad.altaf
Registered Member

Post by arshad.altaf »

What a moving piece by a grieved family member. Read on..

First-hand account: The continuing nightmare of the PK-8303 crash

https://www.dawn.com/news/1624911/first ... 8303-crash

On May 22, 2020, my husband’s parents, Wahida and Fazal Rahmaan, were killed in the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight PK-8303 crash. We imagine them holding hands in death as they always did in life. Of the two survivors, one was seated in 8F, a mere two rows away from our parents.

To say that our entire family was devastated would be a gross understatement. We have spent the past year feeling gutted, untethered and heartbroken for our own loss and also for the shattered families of the 95 others who perished. We have come to know and grieve virtually with the others who lost their most beloved in this crash. But we are also angry. Scratch that — we are furious. The crash of PK-8303 was not an inescapable mishap; it is the result of sheer neglect and years of deliberate abandonment of safety principles by the PIA organisation.

One year later, we are still bereft and without answers. Questions will remain until the findings from an independent and transparent investigation into the PK-8303 crash are released. By some estimates, it could take up to three years before a final crash investigation report is released.

While the families wait for answers, PIA not only continues to operate and profit, they are making families’ legally mandated compensation contingent on signing a Release and Discharge Agreement (RDA). This RDA eliminates the option for families to seek any legal recourse against culpable parties. My family and others are not willing to forgo our right to hold any entity responsible for the murder of our loved ones.

Our parents, like many others, were traveling to Karachi to celebrate the Eid holidays with family after being under lockdown for two months. What pains me is that their flight made it all the way from Lahore to Karachi, even touched down on the runway, yet they didn’t walk off that plane. The first attempted landing must have alerted passengers that something was amiss. We know that the pilot descended too fast, endeavoured to land without the landing gear deployed, and immediately took off upon impact with the runway — but not before both engines were catastrophically damaged, which ultimately led to their failure and resulted in the disaster.

In a seemingly shortening news cycle, it was no surprise that people moved past this tragedy and onto the more sensational Uzma Khan story rather quickly. I imagine most people probably paused to think about the lives lost and the gut-wrenching grief of the families but didn’t realise the crash was only the beginning of a series of horrors for us and the other victims’ families. The lack of any functional disaster management response by PIA further victimised the already traumatised families.

I am baffled by just how callously and inadequately PIA has handled the aftermath. The airline has no functional disaster management process in place. With PIA’s history of aviation disasters, one would assume it would have crisis management down to a science. An absent centralised response from PIA left the grieving families entirely on our own to navigate the horrific logistics of identifying and recovering our loved ones while struggling with our enormous anguish. The many instances of insensitivity and ineptitude displayed by PIA amplified our pain.

The physical condition of the victims required DNA matching for positive identification, a fact that itself was highly disturbing. Perhaps one of the most egregious and heartbreaking offences in the management of this disaster was the misidentification of some victims and the handing over of incorrect remains to families due to suspect forensic competence of a lab at Karachi University, tapped by PIA to assist in the matter.

Adding to our confusion and sorrow was the fact that PIA did not have a central hotline to provide answers, leaving us unclear as to how and when we would receive the remains of our parents. However, PIA employees deemed it appropriate to call us at all hours of the day and night to ask us if we had yet received their remains. In a state of perplexed exasperation, I kept wondering why they didn’t know the answer to this very question themselves.

Also read: PIA plane crash survivor refuses to travel by air

Although our parents’ bodies were recovered a full week after DNA testing, those of us living abroad were unable to travel to Pakistan due to Covid-19 to bury them. Now that we find ourselves in the wholly unwelcome position of picking up the pieces, we realise that in addition to PIA, the entire Pakistani aviation industry has failed us and the 95 other passengers who perished.

Pakistan’s national carrier has been plagued by financial failures, bloated staffing, corruption, and lax safety protocols for decades. Despite these widely known deficiencies, no sincere efforts have been directed towards corrective measures, resulting in a superficial and fragile safety culture. While our loved ones will never come back, the crash of PK-8303 presented an opportunity for PIA to initiate a thorough evaluation of its organisation. It has declined to do so.

PIA has put maximal effort into dodging accountability and avoiding media scrutiny of its corruption and unsafe practices. The contingency that families sign an RDA in order to receive their rightful compensation is yet another tactic to divert attention away from their poorly run, flailing, and unsafe airline while protecting their pockets.

Further loss of life is inevitable unless deliberate, decisive and curative changes are implemented within the aviation industry in Pakistan. Over the past year, I have often thought about those two rows as the difference between life and death for our parents. In truth, it wasn’t those two rows, but years of administrative and governmental failures that separated our parents from life. A life they lived to the fullest, but one that was cut short due to the blatant disregard of fundamental aviation safety protocols.

Rabia Rahman is the daughter-in-law of Wahida and Fazal Rahmaan who perished on flight PK-8303. She lives in St. Louis, Missouri and is an Assistant Professor at St. Louis University.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Sindh governor orders PIA to speed up compensation payment

By News desk -June 11, 2021

Governor Sindh Imran Ismail has asked the Pakistan International Airlines to expedite the process of compensation payment to families of the May 22, 2020 plane crash victims.

The directives came at a meeting held today at Governor House in which matters regarding compensation to the legal heirs/family members of the PIA 8303 crash victims and other related issues were discussed, in details.

The meeting was attended by CEO, PIA Air Marshal Arshad Malik (via Zoom); Secretary, PIA Col. Aftab; GM, Coordination, Syed Qamar Maqbool; DGM, Legal Asim Raouf and Manager PIA Khursheed Khan.

A comprehensive briefing on the compensation given to the families of victims so far and outstanding compensation amounts was given to the chair. CEO, PIA assured the Governor that the all outstanding payments would be given to the remaining families as soon as the legal and other requirements are completed.

It was further informed that PIA had filed an appeal in SHC and the orders of Honourable Court were being forwarded to Ministry of Law for ensuring even implementation.

The governor Sindh emphasized to get the issues resolved and sorted out on priority basis to ensure immediate relief to the aggrieved family members of the victims.

Source: pakobserver.net

See you at:
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

There is clause as part of compensation that says: If the heirs of victim received compensation money from PIA they will have to with draw from their right of any legal proceedings.

In my opinion this is total non-sense, PIA can't force them to with draw from their right of legal proceeding by just giving mere some RS. Specially, in the case of this particular flight.
Fortune favours brave.
Inam855
Registered Member

Post by Inam855 »

A310 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:29 pm
SM wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm
Pakistan-1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:51 pm
A310 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Pakistan-1 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:01 pm
A310 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:12 am ^Ever heard of ‘tone deaf’?
Ever heard of the crash of PK8303? Which will be the textbook case on pilot error for decades to come?
There’s a time and place to be whiny and petty. Not on a death anniversary.
An anniversary we wouldn’t have if the pilots did their job.
We need and have someone to defend incompetent pilots.
We need and have someone who says a pilot approached Gilgit at 300 kts on an ATR.
No, but we certainly also don't need someone with NOT FIT FOR COMMAND written by multiple line instructors being made a captain either.
t-rehman
Registered Member

Post by t-rehman »

Any public or inside news as to when the final report will be published? Its been 2 years now!
arshad.altaf
Registered Member

Post by arshad.altaf »

Footprints: RELIVING TRAUMA OF THE MAY 22 MAYDAY

https://www.dawn.com/news/1690872/footp ... -22-mayday

THE rumble of jet engines prompts you to instinctively glance heavenwards, just in time to see the source of the sound fly directly over you. The heart skips a beat, I’m not going to lie. And the same thing happens every 10, 20 minutes or so. But then, every plane isn’t PK-8303, you reassure yourself.

It’s been two years since I was last in Jinnah Garden to cover the tragic crash; on May 22, 2020, a PIA Airbus A-320 crashed here following several failed attempts at landing at the Jinnah International Airport.

Jinnah Garden, a small township of 120 to 240 square yards houses, mostly occupied by PIA employees or ex-PIA employees, is very close to the airport. Too close for comfort, one might say.

The main street presents a picture of calm and quiet, a stark contrast to the images stuck in my mind. Flashbacks of chaotic scenes, black smoke and a sickening smell; people running around, ambulance sirens and broken down walls to make way for stretchers.

But now, two years on, the broken walls have been rebuilt. The damaged houses, too sport fresh plaster. But some things can’t go back to normal.

“The entire fuselage lay burning in our narrow street, and a part of the wing and engine had sliced through our home. killing our 12-year-old maid Naheeda,” recalls Syed Abdul Rafay.
Naheeda’s two cousins, Mahira and Aziza were injured, while seven to eight other children who were also at home at the time luckily remained unhurt.

“The two girls needed to be rushed to a hospital, but there was smoke and fire everywhere turning daylight into pitch darkness,” he recalls.

Mohammad Abrar, another resident of Street No 1, says that he was just leaving the mosque after Friday prayers when all hell broke loose. “It was the last Friday of Ramazan. I remember being engulfed by black smoke on my way back from the mosque. I did manage to get to a part of the plane to pull out a few people, but sadly, they had no life left in them. I still remember that stench of burning flesh,” he says.

Street No 1 of Jinnah Garden is a dead-end street, but there is a narrow gate between two schools that leads one into a thin alleyway, which opens into a back street.

Mohammad Majid, who lives on the back street was also badly shaken that day.

“I was at home when I heard the first explosion and then the walls and windows shook. I ran in the direction of Street 1 and saw that all the houses there had their windows blown out. Some were crumbling. And in the middle of all of this, one bewildered survivor dragged himself out of the plane. He turned out to be the CEO of the Bank of Punjab, one of only two survivors,” he says.

While speaking to Majid, I notice some Suzuki pickups pulling up in the back street. They are contractual rides for the maids who work in the neighbourhood houses. The maids are chatting animatedly as they squat on the broad footpaths outside the schools, waiting for other maids to arrive. When I ask if any of them knew the young maid who lost her life, they point to a middle-aged woman seated in the front of one of the pickups. “That’s Naheeda’s mother Noor Bano,” one of them says.

“I have returned to work only last week,” Noor Bano tells me after we introduce ourselves.

“I was paid Rs1 million in compensation by the government. Now that it has all finished, I am back to work,” she shrugs. “My two other relatives, Aziza and Mahira, were also with Naheeda at the time. They too got badly injured. They were both paid half of what I was given in compensation, but their wounds have not healed completely. Mahira’s hands and feet have deformed. Aziza is back at work, but she also carries scars,” Noor Bano informs. To illustrate her point, Aziza, who is with her, shows us some of her scars.

Rafay relates how many residents of Street No 1 had to move away for some months to make way for repair work and reconstruction in the area.

“Most houses had lost their top floors. We had pretty much lost our entire house. Still, we try to put the nightmare behind us though some of our children still remain traumatised. Every time a plane flies over, my little cousin turns to us with big terrified eyes. We live so near to the airport. We can’t stop the planes and the sound of the planes won’t let him forget.”

Published in Dawn, May 22nd, 2022
inducedrag
Registered Member

Post by inducedrag »

Still waiting for the enquiry report
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ISLAMABAD, May 22 (APP): A spokesperson for the Aviation Division on Sunday said the Aircraft Accident Investigation Board (AAIB) team was in process of preparing the draft of a final report on the PIA plane crash that occurred two years ago near Jinnah International Airport, claiming 98 precious lives.

“Despite restrictions due to COVID-19 pandemic and related challenges, by now the team has collected all required evidence and is presently working on the draft of a final report,” the spokesperson said in a news release here.

Source: app.com.pk

See you at:
t-rehman
Registered Member

Post by t-rehman »

Any update on this?

Do we have any engineer on this forum? Was just curios as to what critical components exist in the bottom belly of A320 CFM engine? Such that scrapping of the engines on the runway caused them to flame out.
mohammad
Registered Member

Post by mohammad »

t-rehman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:34 pm Any update on this?

Do we have any engineer on this forum? Was just curios as to what critical components exist in the bottom belly of A320 CFM engine? Such that scrapping of the engines on the runway caused them to flame out.

Gearbox. Wasn't designed to take impact of belly landing and keep working for a go around.

https://www.mdpi.com/applsci/applsci-10 ... 5-g003.png
owlventure
Registered Member

Post by owlventure »

Today, May 22 2023 at this around this time, marks the 3rd anniversary of this crash. May their souls find eternal peace.