Hybrid Aviation Cessna Crashes in Lahore

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
aj357
Registered Member

Re: Hybrid Aviation Cessna Crashes in Lahore

Post by aj357 »

Abbas Ali wrote:Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) investigation team also has reached Lahore from Karachi. The team visited crash site and inspected aircraft wreckage.

Btw, from video footage shown by various local news channels, it appears the aircraft did not catch fire after hitting ground, I hope it does not mean the aircraft ran out of fuel or suffered fuel starvation?

Here's DAWN News channel report.

Abbas
Even if it ran out of fuel it could have easily reached walton. I think the a/c stalled and entered into an irrecoverable spin. We practice all such maneuvers when wer flying over model town park and the a/c crashed quiet close to it on the downwind leg of the circuit. Also full flaps were deployed and we do that when we practice stalls.
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Inna Lilahi Wa Inna Ilahi Rajioon, May Allah swt grant their families sabar, and grant these two a place in Jannah Ameen. Very sad to hear the news
.Air
Registered Member

Post by .Air »

Anita loved to fly.She wanted to get into an airline and was trying very hard to log hours.She was twin rated and had instructors rating too.GMGA south did her check rides and passed her with flying colors. She lived all by her self in Peshawar and flew Cessna 414 ( not sure about the type ) for hybrid aviation .She was very comfortable flying with hybrid guys and i was so happy for her. She always complained that she ends up logging 15 minutes less than her flight time and never explained me the reason. She was a very happy person and very enthusiastic about flying.There were many people who gave her trouble and hated her guts but she never spoke bad about them in public She always told me that she has only 400 hours in 4 years.She tried going for PIA also a few times but could not get the job.After doing CPL she kept looking for a job but had no luck ,she knocked at every flying academies door.Peshawar Flying Club invited her twice to Peshawar and played big games with her..She bought her own ticket went there thinking she would get the job but they hired two boys and she came back very upset.What was the point of calling her so far and then treating her like so bad i wonder? Anyways she paid PFC 5 lack rs got rated on piper seminole,then hyrid got kind enough to give her a job. So she flew the twin for like 200 hours to parachinar and when the road opened she was all down saying that now i can;t log anymore.She went for another job hunt to UAE and again did not get lucky to get a job after coming back she got a call for hybrid again this time for instructional flying ,she had a rating since long but finally after 2 years it was time for her to use it.She left on 16th i wonder who gave her a refresher training and standardized her on C 150?? I wonder who is the current CFI?and how many hours she logged as an instructor in one week. I wonder what exactly happened to her ? May be she tried to stretch the glide speed dropped and stalled ,may be she went into a spin ,where was she ,what was she doing?In training area or she was in the circuit?Its a sad sad day for me ,i still remember the day guys when she went for her first solo,that was also a very ancient cessna.I always told her Anita you just have to get 1000 hours and then airblue is all yours.I wonder why she left us at such a young age.She was only 24.May Allah send her to jannat and may she gets all the planes there that she wanted to ever fly .Ameen.
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

Btw, from video footage shown by various local news channels, it appears the aircraft did not catch fire after hitting ground, I hope it does not mean the aircraft ran out of fuel or suffered fuel starvation?
I am thinking exactly the same. It could be fuel starvation.
SM
aj357
Registered Member

Post by aj357 »

SM wrote:
I am thinking exactly the same. It could be fuel starvation.
An aircraft does not fall out of the sky when it runs out of fuel, it can glide. they were flying within the Walton circuit and we regularly practice engine failures on every leg of the circuit.
the circuit is designed in a manner that the aircraft can glide back safely in case the engine packs up
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

An aircraft does not fall out of the sky when it runs out of fuel, it can glide. they were flying within the Walton circuit and we regularly practice engine failures on every leg of the circuit.
the circuit is designed in a manner that the aircraft can glide back safely in case the engine packs up
The aircraft crashed when it was turning for the base leg. It is not necessary that you can always glide back to the runway from the turn to base leg. Winds and descent management is different on each flight and there are no guarantees on this. I am very much familiar with the Walton circuit.
SM
affan
Registered Member

Post by affan »

Retrieval of Walton land Plane crash strengthens Punjab govt case

LAHORE, Feb 23: The crash of a two-seater plane in Model Town seems to have strengthened the Punjab government’s case to retrieve its land at Walton from the Civil Aviation Authority.

“The Punjab government has long been asking the CAA to return its land at Walton but the latter refuses on one or the other pretext,” a representative of the Punjab government told Dawn.

“Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken a strong exception to the incident and steps will be taken to ensure shifting of the flying clubs from the residential area,” Dr Saeed Elahi, a parliamentary secretary on health, said.

He further said the Punjab government also wanted expansion of the road network at Walton because of traffic issues.

A CAA official confirmed that the authority only owned the land of the runway while the remaining tract belonged to the provincial government.

“After the sad incident, it will not be easy to retain the provincial government’s land,” he said. However, he said, unless the provincial government offered the authority an alternate place the shifting of the flying clubs from Walton was not possible.

“The flying clubs cannot be stopped from functioning as they are part and parcel of the aviation field,” he said.

On the other hand, some PIA engineers have blamed the Civil Aviation Authority for not having a strict check on the operations
of the flying clubs.

“The CAA is lenient in dealing with some four flying clubs at the Walton Road. As we have seen the poor condition of most of the planes, there should be a strict monitoring of the aircraft the flying clubs are using,” a senior engineer told Dawn. He said now
the CAA should review its “lenient” policy towards the flying clubs. Besides, it should also consider the proposal of shifting these clubs from the residential areas.

Another engineer said the CAA must make public the findings of the investigation into the incident so that other flying clubs in the country could take appropriate safety measures .

SOURCE: DAWN
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

It seems, news channels in their breaking news/alerts race, sometimes air information and photos without getting them verified from relevant authorities.

Here's an example: Yesterday, Express News channel was airing photos sent to them by someone claiming that photos showed the ill-fated aircraft few moments before it crashed. However, these photos showed Hybrid Aviation Cessna 172N Skyhawk with aircraft registration AP-BDN clearly visible.

The crashed aircraft was Hybrid Aviation Cessna 150D (registration AP-BCS) as seen in following image taken from video footage also aired by Express News channel before it displayed photos of AP-BDN.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
SM
Registered Member

Post by SM »

http://www.dawn.com/2012/02/24/plane-cr ... illed.html
LAHORE: A two-seater light plane on a training flight crashed into the lawn of a house in Model Town here on Thursday, killing a woman pilot and her trainee.

Witnesses and police said the plane had circled three times before coming down with a bang onto a car porch-cum-lawn of the house. No one on the ground was hurt.

The dead were identified as Captain Anita Qureshi and co-pilot Waqar Asif. Both were in their 20s and hailed from Karachi.

They were associated with Hybrid Aviation, a commercial firm based at the Walton airport.

A Punjab Special Branch team inspected the company’s office and quizzed the staff.

Model Town SP (operations) Maroof Safdar Wahla said police were investigating the incident and the crash site had been sealed for forensic examination by Civil Aviation’s technical experts from Karachi.

The pilots died on the spot and their bodies were mutilated. Rescue 1122 removed them from the wreckage after prising open the plane.

DIG (operations) Ghulam Mehmood Dogar said police would act after receiving the inquiry report by the CAA team.

Irfan Ali, a servant in a nearby house, said the plane’s engine had stopped functioning twice before the crash. It took three rounds in the air for about 30 minutes.

He said the Model Town security and some policemen present at nearby pickets were the first to respond, but before they reached the house, the owner and his wife threw water on the plane to save it from catching fire.

Irfan said Rescue 1122 personnel reached the site after 30 minutes and removed the bodies.

A large number of residents gathered at the scene. A relative of co-pilot Waqar was seen crying at the site.

ASP Imran Qureshi, a first cousin of pilot Anita Qureshi, told Dawn that she was unmarried and opted for aviation field in 2006.

She got flying licence in 2007 and was associated with Hybrid Aviation as a trainer. She was second last among six brothers and sisters.

Mohammad Ashraf, an uncle of co-pilot Waqar, told reporters that his nephew was taking his last hour of flight on Thursday before the completion of 120-hour period of his training. He said Waqar was to marry his daughter after a few months. Nikah had already been performed.

An investigation official told Dawn that they had found very low level of fuel and the plane’s internal condition was pathetic.

Even its cockpit didn’t have proper marks for instruments, he added.

He said the plane’s engine had apparently flamed out while flying.

This was the second incident in which a light airplane flown from the Walton Airport crashed. Earlier a two-seater sports aircraft crashed while landing at the airport on Sept 29, 2006, leaving the veteran pilot and his friend dead.
SM
A6-SKY
Registered Member

Post by A6-SKY »

its really sad news may the souls rest in peace.But I think its maintenance issue...or may be they were doing forced landings...? If it is carburto engine then sometimes since weather is cold in lahore..sudden reduction in power can cause built of ice in carb..if carb.heat is not turned on..Any guys here has more information..?? no updates on avhearld.com regarding this accident!
saadm80
Registered Member

Post by saadm80 »

A6-SKY wrote:its really sad news may the souls rest in peace.But I think its maintenance issue...or may be they were doing forced landings...? If it is carburto engine then sometimes since weather is cold in lahore..sudden reduction in power can cause built of ice in carb..if carb.heat is not turned on..Any guys here has more information..?? no updates on avhearld.com regarding this accident!
There can be 2 sides of the Story, Major Factor Could be the Technical Aspect of the Aircraft itself. As stated in the News Clipping, Fuel was very Low, meaning that Fuel Gauge in the Cockpit would be showing the amount of Fuel left, bare in mind this Cessna 150D has a Maximum Range and endurance with 45 minute reserve
@ 7000' 340 NM for 3.3 hours Clean stall 48 KIAS if i am not Mistaken, and this Incident happened almost a hour in the flight or may be less.

The handling notes of 150 states

C-150 as a Glider

… without hope of restarting engine: Immediately...
1. Airspeed to best glide-near best rate climb (Move trim wheel down as far as it will go.)
2. Below gross glides are 5 knots slower
3. Determine field and wind
4. Mixture out, fuel off
5. Magnetos off
6. Stop the prop

I won't blame the Weather, Just couple of weeks back i was in LHE, and the temp was around 12 to 15c, every day i used to see Cessna doing Circuits over New Garden Town, for an Hour or more in some cases.
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

According to news sources, some three hours before crashing in Model Town, the ill-fated AP-BCS flown by a different pilot (probably on a training flight) had arrived at Walton Aerodrome, Lahore, from Sialkot. It was trouble-free flight from Sialkot and aircraft engine did not show any signs of problem, the pilot was quoted as saying.

Btw, www.cessna150.net is a useful website with technical information and photos related to Cessna 150.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Guru
Registered Member

Post by Guru »

aj357 wrote: Even if it ran out of fuel it could have easily reached walton. I think the a/c stalled and entered into an irrecoverable spin. We practice all such maneuvers when wer flying over model town park and the a/c crashed quiet close to it on the downwind leg of the circuit. Also full flaps were deployed and we do that when we practice stalls.
aj357, just for my knowledge, could you explain what is an irrecoverable spin?
saadm80
Registered Member

Post by saadm80 »

I am just Curious,

Did the Cessna went into a Flat Spin?
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
aj357
Registered Member

Post by aj357 »

Guru wrote:
aj357 wrote: Even if it ran out of fuel it could have easily reached walton. I think the a/c stalled and entered into an irrecoverable spin. We practice all such maneuvers when wer flying over model town park and the a/c crashed quiet close to it on the downwind leg of the circuit. Also full flaps were deployed and we do that when we practice stalls.
aj357, just for my knowledge, could you explain what is an irrecoverable spin?
By irrecoverably i meant there was no way the pilot could have recovered the a/c flying at a height of 800 feet AGL. (walton circuit altitude is 1500 ft ASL)
Secondly none of the pilots/instructors trained in our flying clubs know how to deal with a spin because it is not part of the curriculum.