1:8 scale RC Avro Arrow restoration thread now....

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I hope you guys are enjoying this thread, i hope all this work could be useful to someone as you can take my tricks and methods to use on other things also, plus i am hoping someone must be learning for in it also. This is the beauty of this hobby that i love that we share it with others into it. I would be really happy to know if someone made use of this thread to ease his problems and if anyone and i mean anyone has suggestions to make that will
help this project then please do so, i am always open to positive criticism and new suggestions. More to come...
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Suggestions on livery...

There are 3 different liveries that was done on the 6 prototype Arrows. I would like to know which one would you prefer i should do on my giant monster model. I already have one in mind to do so but lets hear from you all.

Livery Chart

RL-205 last of the 5 prototypes that flew only for 45 mins and 30 seconds before being torched to pieces!!!

RL-204 in partial/in term livery, this is my choice..

RL-204 taxing for take off in interm livery...

RL-201 First prototype to be built and flown in 1958 (Rollout picture)
210 was initially flew as all white but in its last days, it was fully painted with dayglo orange same as on 205, 203, later 204 were painted

RL-202 was never painted with dayglo for some reason, it remain white all along, RL-206 was Mk2 Arrow with Orenda engines, it was doing pre flight trials before black Friday, it never flew also, it was painted all white also.
Last edited by ConnieMan on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Ok, Lets say, PAF would have ordered Avro Arrows MkIIs back in 60s or 70s, what do you imagine PAF liveries would have been on this great Interceptor....I would like to see some off you with great pc graphics knowledge to do it as artwork and maybe in sim also. If you need drawings or more pictures of whatever angle i can provide them too.
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

ConnieMan wrote:Ok, Lets say, PAF would have ordered Avro Arrows MkIIs back in 60s or 70s, what do you imagine PAF liveries would have been on this great Interceptor....I would like to see some off you with great pc graphics knowledge to do it as artwork and maybe in sim also. If you need drawings or more pictures of whatever angle i can provide them too.
Maybe one could make a FS of this plane in PAF livery
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: 1:8 scale RC Avro Arrow restoration thread now....

Post by ConnieMan »

Re started working on this Arrow once again.

C130 and this Arrow will be worked together this month. I will start by making skin panels that will attach the fin core to make it into the proper fin for this model. This is newer fin as original was warped and had twist in it also.

First i layed up all the balsa skin sheeting together "butt" joined together edge to edge to make these skin panels on top of the fin's foam core, i will tape these together at the joints and then glue the joints from opposite side and lay these flat on the table till glue is cured and panels are made. Then i will apply non-solvent contact cement on the foam core and on the side of the skin panels to be attached to the core with brush. Since this is a HUGE model, i will use 3-4 coats of contact cement with bit of epoxy so this skin will never de-laminate from the foam core, this is due to fact that after many years, contact cement tends to dry out and break the joint with foam.

Here are couple of initial pictures at this stage.
http://img21.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture541b.jpg
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Few days ago, i got a great deal on this baby flying Avro Arrow model.
It's electric powered pusher model and should be very fast flyer at 90 mph!!!.

http://img189.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=babyarrow1.jpg

WingSpan is: 19.5"
Length is: 28"
Weight is: 3/4 lb
Controls: Throttle, Elevons!

It's hand launched and lands on it's belly. Should be great to fly in the snow as i won't have worry about losing in in the snow as it's in fiction production colors and not original prototype ones.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

My baby Arrow is getting closer for maiden flight!.

Received it's electric motor and Li-po battery in mail yesterday. Now both are on the model. Tomorrow i will get APC 5x4.5 pusher prop for it and RX, then all i have to do is to balance the model on proper CofG point and go flying!!! :)

Lil bro with it's bigger brother!...
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Work started on big Arrow once again tonight. Last night i cleaned up the storage room that we are converting into bedroom. Work to make room has been stopped for next couple of week so i thought why not use it for working on my Arrow and other big ones. I made a temporary table and placed Arrow on it.

After coming back from work lil earlier i went to work on the mode and discovered the sheeting on wing has splits in between each other, sort of tiny hair line cracks running through out skin joint lengths. I didn't like the idea to just apply glass over the wing with these split cracks so i took GP Aliphatic resin glue and put long beads over the cracks and uses flat balsa piece to fill the cracks with it, this way joints are re-glued also and i have glue filling the cracks instead of any filler (Spackle).

I had to do this process twice as first layer didn't fully fill the cracks and most glue went into the split.

I also noticed that Arrow has wing fence between LE "saw tooth notch" and TE of the wing on both top and bottom sides of the wing. I will be making these out of scrap balsa wood for my model.

For some reason my camera doesn't take very good close up pictures too clear as you will see those splits cracks bit grainy in the pictures.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Wing fences can be seen in there drawings. There are cap fairing strips bit more then the length of the fence between wing's surface and the fence. These cap fairings also acts as covers for the IB and OB wing joints.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Cap strip fairings are being pre-formed on the wings:

It took me some time to figure right size of wood to make these cap fairing strips. I had to go out to the shop couple times as first batch of 3 strips i brought were not all ok, 2 of them were curved, so had to back out and get full sheet of 1/16" to cut rest of the cap fairing strips.

I made 4 of these strips, 2 per wing. These are 1"W x 22.5"L x 1/16"T strips. I taped them on top of the wing to form the LE curve as rest of the wing is pretty much flat airfoil. To generate the cure of LE and shape of the wings top surface i sprayed them with Windex while they are taped to pre-form these strips. I will leave these over night to fully cure.

Left strip is made from soft wood therefore tapes on both sides was enough to attach it to the wing but right side strip was bit harder wood, i have to place it under the weight as it was lifting from wings surface even after getting wet with Windex.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I'm happy to say that pre-forming of the strips was successful, both cap fairing strips formed really well on the wings top surface.

I'm using same Windex wet technique to pre-form 1/4"W x 1/2"H x 22.5"L light balsa stick on top of fairing strip. Once this strip is formed then i will cut, sand and shape it into the fence's profile. We'll do same on right side also. These will be done for both top and bottom of the wing. Once this step is completed then i will start applying fiberglass on the top surface of the wings first followed by bottom of the wings.

1/4" x 1/2" x 22.5" Strips being pre-formed.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Been working on making templates for the fuselage formers though out the evening. For now i'm making 3 but if i decided to make full ducting pipes then obviously i will make more to hold the ducts in position. 2 for the fan mounting and 1 for initial part of the ducting. Not sure if i should make ducting for both exhaust nozzles or not, any suggestions?...

I think i know what i will do to replace the fin on this model, stay tuned for that to come.

4 more 1/4" x 1/2" x 22.5" balsa strips were cut to make right top and bottom fence and left bottom fence. Unfortunately i wasn't able to per-form this strip with Windex or water, i had to make couple slits on the front part for the strip to conform around the top of the cap fairing strip.

http://img697.imageshack.us/i/picture579u.jpg/

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/picture580.jpg/

http://img11.imageshack.us/i/picture581k.jpg/

(Sorry guys image shack is going KO KO right now!)
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Anyone watching this build thread, feedback and comments would be great.... :-k
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Making wing fences:

First i want to say that pre-forming the balsa strip for the fence wasen't the greatest idea though i tried it, in the end i had to make couple of small slit cuts on the top front portion of the fence strip to conform it to the front curvature of the wing just behind LE.

Pattern line was then drawn on the side of the this strip to make profile of the fence, 2 other strips had profile line drawn also following the rough cutting process closer to profile line so not much sanding would be needed to get the right profile from the strips. Again 2 strips were cut tot he profile line.

Started sanding this strip with 150 grit dry sand paper glued on to wooded block. I also drew a follow on line on the top of the fence as guide to sand in the straight line, this helps quite a bit. Started sanding on a 45 degree angle from top to bottom longitudinally length wise, first left side and then right side. In the end to make fine blade line on the top, i kept fine sanding it from both sides to balance them out. First fence turned out pretty good.

I also noticed that the lower wing fences have slight thicker profile in the beginning before it smooths out to nice light curve for the rest of the fence.

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/picture582l.jpg/
Fence strip marked with profile line.

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/picture583.jpg/
Fence roughly cut close to profile shape b4 sanding it.

http://img515.imageshack.us/i/picture584e.jpg/
Another view of the fence.

http://img69.imageshack.us/i/picture585.jpg/
Under going fine hand sanding on both sides back n forth until perfect profile is achieved.

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/picture588o.jpg/
Completed left top wing fence...
Che
Registered Member

Post by Che »

Intakes are bigger then the original...but may just be the function of little turbines you'll be fitting into this model and how much air they require...