1:8 scale RC Avro Arrow restoration thread now....

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

1:8 scale RC Avro Arrow restoration thread now....

Post by ConnieMan »

For over a decade i have been on look out for nice RC model of Canadian Aviation's Icon "Avro Arrow CF-105", well last Saturday my dream came true and now i am proud owner of this massive 1/8th scale RC model of CF-105 Avro Arrow!!!

Image[/URL]

This beast is so big that i couldn't fit it in my van and had to strap it on the roof of the van and drive back 70kms on the Hwy 401 at 80kms/h from Ajax to Mississauga!

Image[/URL]

I hope you guys will like it as i love it same as i love my S Constellation!
Last edited by ConnieMan on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
kamalla
Registered Member

Post by kamalla »

Whoa - that's huge! Congrats on the new additiont to your collection.

Was the second pic taken when you picked up in Ajax?
PK732 Jeddah-Karachi
Registered Member

Post by PK732 Jeddah-Karachi »

Congrats man. Huge model indeed & lastly Happy belated Birthday ! ! ! :)
nopy99
Registered Member

Post by nopy99 »

80 Km/h is close to V2/rotate velocity for a Avro Arrow strapped to a Lumina !!!

hehehe :lol:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks guys for the warm wishes!!.

Yeah you got that right Nopy99:lol: :lol:, in reality when i was shooting pictures of it while passing by the airport, van accelerated to almost 100kms/h and this aircraft held up pretty impressively!...not bad for 10 years old airframe as it was the prototype model and have rotated twice in it's early life back then but never left the ground as yet!, so it's still waiting to see the sky...:wink:
nopy99 wrote:80 Km/h is close to V2/rotate velocity for a Avro Arrow strapped to a Lumina !!!

hehehe :lol:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

kamalla wrote:Whoa - that's huge! Congrats on the new addition to your collection.

Was the second pic taken when you picked up in Ajax?
Thanks man, it sure is huge, i am still trying to figure out where to keep it in my hanger, it may end up at Toronto Aerospace Museum for few winter months as a display piece there as they are very much interested in giving it temp home.. :wink: . Yeah second picture was taken just before head back to Mississauga...fellow holding the light is whom i got this model from.

I actually did couple of high speed tests to make sure model was secured properly on the roof as i didn't wanted to take any chance of losing it on the highway!, here is picture of me stopping at Shall pit stop before getting on the highway...

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Anyone wondering what may have happened to this rare and unique model by any chance?
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

Nice one Bro!! I'm liking it! I remember back in grade 6 when I was an aviation geek, i did a presentation on this very plane and went to the finals at city hall to represent my school!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Btw, my birthday is coming up too, wonder what my brother gets me Sameer bhai! :wink: :wink:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
Nadir Ali
Registered Member

Post by Nadir Ali »

nice work sameer. I also remember showing me some similar planes that you were working on. Seriously bro you could make a buisness with this...
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Guys above pictures are from the night i brought Arrow home, i won't forget that ride for long time. You guys haven't seen any of the restoration pictures as yet, wait till you see all the work that i'm presently doing on it. I'll add photos later tonight, stay tuned.

Mohsin, i hope it's same as what's in your mind and heart now days :wink:
Last edited by ConnieMan on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

^^^^^ Yes.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... :lol:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Here we go, this will be very long post with many pictures, i will see if i can turn this into a thread. When i got this model it's tailcone section was cut off from the main fuselage and there was big piece/section missing, that is why you can see that former in the fuselage like that, actually i found out it's story today!

This is one of arriving night's pictures, tailcone missing and a section of fuselage also.

Here i have dry attached the tailcone as in this side view picture, plus you can see part of missing fuselage section.

Another picture showing belly's view and here you can how big this section was, i used metal ruler to show size of this missing section. Also notice i have removed the former that was in ^^photos!

This was couple days later in the Hanger, here i taped the T/C section to the main fuselage with tape to hold while i re-glued back with medium CA glue. Once it was tacked on, i used 4oz glass tape and Aeropoxy resin to reinforce it from inside.

Tapes removed after reinforce strip fully cured. T/C is held in it's original perfect position strong as rock!. I did it's alignment with laser light to make sure it's squared to the fuselage and aircraft's datum line.
Image[/URL]

Now comes the big question, how to make this missing section, there were no parts left that could be re attached and reinforced anymore so what to do, any ideas what anyone on here would have done to fill this gap?
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Hey guys,

I thought i'd give enough time for someone to come on here with some type of solution as how he would make the missing fuselage section but either no one works with fiberglass on here or not sharing for some other reason.

Here is how i did it, i used the former that i pulled out from the back of the fuselage to use as template to make a foam plug!, i found using the foam plug technique would be fastest way to make this section. This is sort of same technique as how my S Connie is made. I used both high density blue foam and low density white foam sheets laminated together to make this plug. Since i was using 2" to 2-1/4" foam sheets in terms of thickness i couldn't cut it out of hand so i used my Delta scroll saw for most of the cutting.

Old former used as template to cut the part.

Cutting the foam on Delta scroll saw

Test fitting the part in the fuselage

When i tested the first part, i was bit surprised to see that one side of the part wasen't fitting properly in the fuselage, for this i had to trim that side a bit. It turned out that for some reason plug or mould was out some what.

Then i kept going with cutting the other parts out to make the whole plug.
I also had to fench the last foam piece to make it fit into the exhaust nozzles, otherwise it wasen't possible to plug to fit and lock in the fuselage.

Test fit

Once this plug was half done, i realized that it has to the sanded down to match the taper curve of the fuselage going in to tailcone section as know as aircraft exhaust nozzles. So i hand sanded the whole this to match the shape and this took a while as i had to do it in sections a bit while fitting the plug into the fuselage and taking it out to match the curve.

All sanded into the shape.

After main body of the plug was sanded into the shape needed i secured the parts with 2 long 1/4" dowel to enhance to lock so there would no movement of the plug inside the fuse. This was important to do!.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

HMMMMMM, not a single comment so far from anyone on here, i guess you just just like PIA models and stuff but other historic Icon's models don't attract anyone, well no problem. I'll wrap it up now and continue restoring it as those pics are from November last year....
Che
Registered Member

Post by Che »

ConnieMan wrote:HMMMMMM, not a single comment so far from anyone on here, i guess you just just like PIA models and stuff but other historic Icon's models don't attract anyone, well no problem. I'll wrap it up now and continue restoring it as those pics are from November last year....
I'd imagine not very many people are aware of Avro Arrow's history, otherwise they'd comment on it...

Couldn't you have used fiber glass to mold a part to replace the missing fuselage section instead of the foam?