1/3rd scale Bud Nosen Cessna C310's rebuild thread..

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

1/3rd scale Bud Nosen Cessna C310's rebuild thread..

Post by ConnieMan »

As some on here know that i have been trying to obtain photographs of certain aircrafts that are in my collection to turn them into replicas of Pakistani registered airplanes. Abbas has helped me before in posting link to CAA's website and by posting direct links of all DHC-2 Beavers currently in Paksitan under Pakistani AP registrations. Last week i purchased a HUGE model of Cessna 310 built and flown 12 to 15 times by original builder and owner. He built this C310 from Bud Nosen kit approx 2 years ago and finished in his own registration and livery which is non existent in reality. Now since this model suffered a hard landing on it's last flight i have to do some rebuild work on its main gear area on both landing gear bay areas. It will take some time to do these repairs and after it's structurally repaired i will strip its fictitious colors and would like to do it in anyone of the two Pakistani registered C310s.

I went through CAA's link provided by Abbas and found that there are only 2 Cessna 310s currently flying and registered in Pakistan as AP-AVS and AP-BCR. Both aircrafts are based in Lahore and one is owned by Hybrid Aviation and other owned privately by Ibrahim Leasing company also based in Lahore.

So far i could only find ONE!! picture of AP-AVS as 310P and nothing on BCR as 310F either on A.net or J.net!. I like to know if once again Abbas or anyone from Lahore area could provide me more pictures of both of these airplanes, i think they are residents of Walton airport's flying club.

Here is my picture of Bud Nosen Cessna 310, this model is based on "G" model but i can convert into 'P or F' models to if required.

Side view on the table

Almost front view shows the huge 10ft wingspan!

Fuselage on the couch to show it's immanence size!!

Right main gear rail damage.

Left main gear area damaged..

I hope you will like this Goliath model as biggest in my inventory/fleet and you will learn how i do repairs on these models, i also hope you guys will enjoy if as i do working and flying these miniature airplanes.
Last edited by ConnieMan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

the cesna is really a good in size, what is the wingspan size? And in another post, you mentioned that one of your friend has the scale drawing for F27, do you have any information that the drawing is for which scale size fokker and how you can get a copy of it?
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

raihans wrote:the cesna is really a good in size, what is the wingspan size? And in another post, you mentioned that one of your friend has the scale drawing for F27, do you have any information that the drawing is for which scale size fokker and how you can get a copy of it?
C310's WS is: 120" or 10 feet tip to tip.

He is away now days, once he gets back i'll ask him as i want a copy to for myself. Yaar bahi tera naam kia hayy...Sorry back pain ki dawyie lee hayy so neend aa gyee hayy, baad mein baat kerte hein..

Allah hafiz
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Does anyone have any pictures and history on C310D AP AHP..
Our brother Inducedrag said this particular aircraft has historical significance to Pakistan civil aviation also...
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Managed to retrieve following photos from an old album containing photos that I took at an air show held at Walton Aerodrome, Lahore, on April 13, 2002.

Cessna 310 (AP-AHP) construction number 35418 was built in 1956. The aircraft has registration older than PIA's Super Constellations (AP-AJY & AP-AJZ). AP-AHP must have witnessed development of Pakistan's civil aviation.

Cessna 310F (AP-BCR) construction number 0100 was built in 1961.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas thank you very much for spending your time in searching for my request of the pictures for BCR and AHP!. Looks like AHP must have served in development of Pakistan's civil aviation but it being "D" model it's one of first generation batch of C310s therefore it has older style straight tail fin and tip tanks then compared to my model replicated after "G" model with newer swept back fin and newer style tip tanks. I'm afraid AP-AHP has lost this campaign as candidate for my model, but BCR and AVF are two good candidates that i'll be choosing from. Now i can't totally figure out if BCR is wearing dark blue/navy blue cheat line stripes or if they are black in color. It seems as it's same question for AVP for both colors: Red and d.blue or black?

If i look at structurally then AVP is the most closest model to my RC model except for rear side window and tailcone configuration. BCR would have been dead on if it didn't had older style tip tanks as it's very much similar to my model.

So here is the question, am i doing this model to compete in model contests and would this model ever be judged for which i need pictorial documentation to present to the judges for them to be able to judge my model, in this case my answer is NO for now!, maybe couple years down the road if i still have this model i will do full ground up restoration on it to make it into nice contest quality model.

Being said that if i can get color shades figured out exactly then AVP is the one i want to replicate my model after, i can easily change the shape of its tailcone and add ventral fin under the bottom of the rear fuselage but i can't change the side windows configuration at this time.

So i guess i'll ask Abbas once again, since you took both of the pictures, what color shades do you still remember from the best of your memory of AVP. This will help me in getting right or close color match Monocote covering for the stripes.
inducedrag
Registered Member

Post by inducedrag »

AP AGV & AP AHP were one of the first Cessna twin engine 310 D brought to Pakistan and AP AGV was the first Pakistani registered(AP) light aircraft flown by a Pakistani Pilot across Atlantic ocean and then the second one was APAHP AP AGV got crashed in Lahore in 1957
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

inducedrag wrote:AP AGV & AP AHP were one of the first Cessna twin engine 310 D brought to Pakistan and AP AGV was the first Pakistani registered(AP) light aircraft flown by a Pakistani Pilot across Atlantic ocean and then the second one was APAHP AP AGV got crashed in Lahore in 1957
Would be great to see pictures of AP-AGV also, didn't thought 310 Ds would have enough range to cross Atlantic ocean!!, nice to know the history on these birds.... :)
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ConnieMan wrote:So i guess i'll ask Abbas once again, since you took both of the pictures, what color shades do you still remember from the best of your memory of AVP. This will help me in getting right or close color match Monocote covering for the stripes.
AP-AVP ? I mean AP-AVP was a Cessna 180 and has nothing to do with this topic.

For AP-AHP, -AVS & -BCR, their photos already posted in this topic should give you rough idea about their colour scheme/shade.
inducedrag wrote:AP AGV & AP AHP were one of the first Cessna twin engine 310 D brought to Pakistan and AP AGV was the first Pakistani registered(AP) light aircraft flown by a Pakistani Pilot across Atlantic ocean and then the second one was APAHP AP AGV got crashed in Lahore in 1957
Very interesting information about AP-AGV & AP-AHP. Thank you inducedrag for sharing.

According to a friend of mine, AP-AGV crashed during short finals to Walton Airport in Lahore. The pilot died in the accident.
ConnieMan wrote:Would be great to see pictures of AP-AGV also, didn't thought 310 Ds would have enough range to cross Atlantic ocean!!, nice to know the history on these birds.... :)
Usually smaller/light aircraft take shortest possible route to cross Atlantic Ocean like for example from Canada to Europe via Greenland and Iceland.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

I got following additional info about AP-AGV from Capt. Farooq Ahmad.

AP-AGV was government-owned and when the aircraft met accident during landing at Walton Airport, Lahore, in 1957, it was flown by one of Indian subcontinent's most experienced pilot and Capt. Farooq Ahmad's father Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad. Sadly Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad died in the accident.

Here's a photo of late Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad that I received from Capt. Farooq Ahmad. This photo appeared in June 8, 1951 issue of 'Flight' magazine.

Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad - Capt. Farooq Ahmad Collection

Abbas

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas Ali wrote: AP-AVP ? I mean AP-AVP was a Cessna 180 and has nothing to do with this topic.

For AP-AHP, -AVS & -BCR, their photos already posted in this topic should give you rough idea about their colour scheme/shade

Abbas

Abbas i'm sorry for the mix up last night, it must be my medication effecting me when i posted there post.

As for colors i like to get them exact or close enough, with those pictures from scale modelers perspective they don't really show them properly, that is why i asked again about them. Do you have company or foundation's email or web address who owns both of those planes, may be contacting them directly would help to get paint chip numbers or newer pictures of both air crafts.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas Ali wrote:I got following additional info about AP-AGV from Capt. Farooq Ahmad.

AP-AGV was government-owned and when the aircraft met accident during landing at Walton Airport, Lahore, in 1957, it was flown by one of Indian subcontinent's most experienced pilot and Capt. Farooq Ahmad's father Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad. Sadly Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad died in the accident.

Here's a photo of late Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad that I received from Capt. Farooq Ahmad. This photo appeared in June 8, 1951 issue of 'Flight' magazine.

Wing Commander Zahir Ahmad - Capt. Farooq Ahmad Collection

Abbas
So AGV was Auster and not C310!, well it's good to know some history about early development years of Paksitan's civil aviation and people who were involved making those historical flights.

Isn't there a Auster preserved in PAF museum in Karachi also?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

ConnieMan wrote:So AGV was Auster and not C310!
Again you're mixing up two different aircraft. The 'Flight' international magazine photo shows a different event - delivery of an Auster Aiglet to Lahore in 1951, the registration of this Auster Aiglet is not mentioned. Auster Aiglets were operated by a number of Pakistani flying schools.

The ill-fated AP-AGV was a Cessna 310.

Btw, according to July 27, 1951 issue of 'Flight' magazine in Capt. Farooq Ahmad's collection: "With nothing more than a K.L.M passenger route map with which to navigate, W/C Zahir Ahmed Chief Flight Instructor (C.F.I.) of the Northern Indian Flying Club based at Lahore, recently flew solo from Rearsby to his base at Lahore in an Auster Aiglet. His flying time was 41 hrs 45 min, spread over eight days."

Abbas

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Ok guys here i am again with work started to rebuild this bird.

I started on the right main gear bay area, well no bay here with why not say it..hehe. Anyways i took off all the old white plastic covering around the damaged area and started to clean the damaged sheeting around the mounting rails. As it turned out these kits were designed for fixed gear vs retracts originally. Since retracts are not too reasonably priced i have decided to rebuild it back to original specs and add new wire fixed gears.

When i took off some of the old sheeting old fix gear mount block emerged!, it's not all there but part of it is still present. Now i am considering options to either take out old block (which will be lots of work to get it out) or just fabricate another new block. I am also waiting for the plans to come so i can make reinforcements pieces from profile of the original ribs that will support LG block and original ribs also.

After removal of old Ultracote covering film and before trimming of sheeting..

Trimming started
Image[/URL]

Nice straight cuts and edge, this is easiest way to reattach new pieces of sheeting. You can also see emerged old fix gear mounting block and part of old retracts mount!
Image[/URL]
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Now Left side clean-Up...

Post by ConnieMan »

I did similar clean-up on the left side also, this side was damaged way more then right side but mostly it was just bottom sheeting!. Now i am waiting to get the plans so i can start making parts to do fill ups and reinforcements.

I am going to do some what heavy builds in these area's, this is due to currently weak rib structure..

Hope some of you guys are enjoying and learning from my work as this is first time any RC flying model airplane repair thread has been posted on here!.