World's largest plane to land in Islamabad with relief goods

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

ok Abbass,
pls keep my updated tomorrow as to where it is going. I will try and find out from here as well, however my camera is on charge and im on standby incase she comes in here.
if she does end up coming to karachi, my number is 0300-2000243 pls send me an SMS so i know.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Aroosh,

According to latest news the An-225 is on its way to Islamabad. The aircraft will make 3 or 4 more flights to Pakistan to transfer relief equipment from Canada.

Here's a related news item:

Plane with disaster relief gear heads for Pakistan, troops follow on Sunday

OTTAWA (CP) -
A transport plane loaded with equipment and supplies for Canada's disaster relief team left for Pakistan on Saturday, as the main body of troops prepared to leave Sunday night.

The six-engine, Ukrainian Antonov An-225 was carrying about 75 tonnes of cargo when it lifted off at 10 a.m. EDT en route to Islamabad.

The chartered plane was due to link up there with an advance party of about 24 Canadians who left Ottawa on Friday.

Meanwhile, the remaining 200 members of the Disaster Assistance Response Team were scheduled to depart for Pakistan at 6 p.m. Sunday.

The advance party in Islamabad is consulting with local authorities on exactly where the DART will set up shop. Last Saturday's earthquake devastated the Kashmir region, killing at least 38,000 people and leaving up to two million homeless.

It will take three or four more flights by the Antonov - billed as the biggest plane in the world - to get all of the DART's equipment and supplies to Pakistan.

The military had to charter the aircraft, known by its nickname of Mriya, or dream, because Canada has no heavy-lift transport planes capable of handling the job. The plane has a cargo hold as long as three city buses and can carry up to 250 tonnes on short hauls.

The deployment of the DART came amid carping from some who said it's a political gesture more than practical help.

When the team was last dispatched - to Sri Lanka in the wake of the Boxing Day tsunami - the deployment cost an estimated $15 million, which some said could have been better spent helping established aid agencies.

John Watson of CARE Canada called the latest deployment a public relations exercise.

Brian MacDonald, a Toronto defence analyst, said the military is stuck because politicians want to respond to the tragedy and the Forces don't have much else to offer.

With no heavy transport planes or even transport helicopters, the DART is the only other resort.

"If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail," he said.

But Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, the deputy chief of the defence staff who handles operations for the Forces, said the DART has an important role.

"It gives a human face to Canada's efforts," he says.

"To invest one's money is one thing, but to invest one's people is a whole other matter."

The team consists of a group of engineers, a medical party, logistics people and a security detail.

Its water-purification units are capable of producing 50,000 litres of clean, drinkable water a day even from heavily polluted sources.

The medical team can handle up to 200 out-patients a day.

The engineers can help open roads, clear debris and repair infrastructure.

The DART can also provide communications and liaison among various governments and agencies.

This is the team's fourth full-scale deployment. It went to Turkey after an earthquake, to Honduras after a hurricane and to Sri Lanka after the tsunami.

Source: Yahoo News
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
raza
Registered Member

Post by raza »

A latest photo of AN 225 from HOuston

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=9 ... =&next_id=
Salam to All .....Raza
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

An-225 Mriya on her way to Pakistan.

UR-82060 departing from Houston Intercontinental Airport runway 26R heading back to work on October 14, 2005.

Link to large photo: http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=401595

See you at:
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

to which city may i ask ? Or is it still unknown until the aircraft actually enters the Pakistani airspace ??

With all these airlines wanting to operate i hope there are guys out there taking some photographs of these operations...
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

i was watchin the news n they say its Islamabad ... ok now moin ?
Last edited by AirBlue on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Yaar Saad will you quit using all this fancy aviation jargon i.e OPRN, OPLA or whatever. Not all of us here know exactly what they mean. KHI, ISB etc would be fine.

With no pre-concieved mens rea, I feel I am dominus litis when I ask you this.

There, I just used a bit of legal jargon, lets see if inter alia you can figure that out LOL!
Moin Abbasi
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

Qu'avez-vous dit ? Was sagten Sie? 何を言ったか。¿Qué usted dijo? Try to figure that out :D I don't know why I wasted my time doing this, but it was sort of fun. BTW did anyone see it or get any photos??? Isn't OPRN Isb??? I am confused :D :?
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Yes, OPRN is Islamabad.
Adnan
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

AN-225 was supposed to land Isb 17th of Oct... Has the plane landed islamabad or in any other city of Pakistan? Any body has info especially you Abbas Bhai?
Adnan
hasan saleem
Registered Member

Post by hasan saleem »

yes according local news channels An-225 landed in islamabad with relief supplies.
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

hasan saleem wrote:yes according local news channels An-225 landed in islamabad with relief supplies.
Hope some of you based in ISB, got some photos of this rare bird... :wink:

If some of you are finding it hard to understand this jargon, then i recommend you view this website, it includes all the IATA airport codes of all the world airports....hopefully it may simply things... :wink:
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

PK777, Atleast I didn't take any of the photo of it... :( But I can promise you people that I'll try to get photos of this bird while it will be climbing off the runway, Anybody has info regarding when the plane is scheduled to take off again?
Adnan
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Antonov An-225 visits Chaklala again

ISLAMABAD:
World's largest cargo aircraft Antonov An-225 carrying 167.777 tonnes relief goods from Ukraine landed here at Chaklala Air Base on Friday. The relief goods including blankets, food, medicines will be dispatched to the affected areas of AJK and NWFP. Ukraine has already sent a field hospital to Pakistan along with vehicles besides relief goods for the affectees of quake-hit areas. Moisselay, the plane's pilot told APP that this is the second time that world's largest aircraft has landed in Pakistan. He said the Ukraine-based aircraft can easily land at Chaklala Air Base.

Source: The News

See you at: