74M to JFK - Question?

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Falcon598 wrote:Is AP-BAT the aircraft the 74M they usually use on the JFK-MAN-ISB route?
PIA's two Boeing 747-200BM Combis, AP-BAK and AP-BAT, are desginated as 74M in airline's timetables. In 74M, M stands for 'Mixed Configuration' meaning the aircraft can be half cargo and half passenger. AP-BAK and AP-BAT have large Side Cargo Door in rear fuselage to accomodate cargo items. In some places you will find these two 747s designated as Boeing 747-200B (SCD), here SCD stands for Side Cargo Door. Another designation for these 747s is 747-200B Combi where Combi means Combination of passengers and cargo.

We can see opened Side Cargo Door of AP-BAT in this photo taken by Muhammad Ali (forum member Aer Pakistan)
Boeing 747-240BM, AP-BAT. - Copyright Muhammad Ali
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Interesting info Abbas Bhai, seriously didn't knew it before. Thanks!
Adnan
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

Anyone know if AP -BAK is newly refurbished or has PTVs on board. If I get that plane I will kill myself, I can't stand 14-16 hrs on a plane with no PTVs.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Falcon598 wrote:Anyone know if AP -BAK is newly refurbished or has PTVs on board. If I get that plane I will kill myself, I can't stand 14-16 hrs on a plane with no PTVs.
No PTVs I think... But if it is there, it will be even difficuilt for you to pass your 14-16 hrs long flight. Because they are often out of order!!!
Adnan
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

Usually in peak times like December and the first 2 weeks of January they usually substitute 74Ms for 743s.

BTW Karachi to New York is at least 18+ hours with a stop in MAN, especially in the winter when headwinds are at their stongest.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

Thanks for the info smarties! :D
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

AP-BGL....

see..once a flight lands in IAH...the crew that will take the flight back to manchester is already present there...they came on a previous flight...the crew that has just arrived will stay there for a week...sames the case with PIA's flights to Beijing...whenever my dad fly's there..he stays for 8 days..cuz theres one flight a week..and in between..theres and up and down to tokyo thats all...8 hellish days cuz bheijing isnt really all that interestinjg a place..u cant help it now can you..u need to operate flights to such destinations even though the load factor isnt great...but in chicago..during peak seasons the load is exceptional...so u have more than a flight a week..
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

AP-BGL wrote:
Falcon598 wrote:Anyone know if AP -BAK is newly refurbished or has PTVs on board. If I get that plane I will kill myself, I can't stand 14-16 hrs on a plane with no PTVs.
No PTVs I think... But if it is there, it will be even difficuilt for you to pass your 14-16 hrs long flight. Because they are often out of order!!!
Noooooooo......! :shock: How will I survive if it doesn't.
Amaad Lone
Registered Member

Post by Amaad Lone »

Keep going.
Last edited by Amaad Lone on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Charliedelta11, Thanks for the info....
Falcon598, Why don't you take some other airline??? I guess you are coming from U.S, Emirates can be a good option for you with a short stay (conecting flight) at Dubai, it is expensive but what a fabulous flight it will be...
Adnan
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

AP-BGL wrote:Charliedelta11, Thanks for the info....
Falcon598, Why don't you take some other airline??? I guess you are coming from U.S, Emirates can be a good option for you with a short stay (conecting flight) at Dubai, it is expensive but what a fabulous flight it will be...
My dad wanted to go on Emirates, but the date is booked and with the connection it takes some time, we have to go to a wedding. We will reach there only a day or some hours before it so we have to rush.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

I am little bit confused here, You are coming in from JFK and to my knowledge PIA nows operates B777 there with a transit stay in MAN... What is your date of travelling? I guess you will get B777.
Adnan
Falcon598
Registered Member

Post by Falcon598 »

I know that I am going on the 777 on the way there, but unfortunately I believe the 74M will be taking me back, home, hopefully it is AP-BAT. I am coming back on the 11th of Jan, I am trying to leave a little earlier though.
AP-BGL
Registered Member

Post by AP-BGL »

Its now your Luck... :D
Adnan