PIA Board of Directors meeting

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

the GLA route will be operated by the A310...true..the A310 variants would be a smart choice...lets see..i think our new chairman is bent on reviving the airline...if PIA does get the planes it planning on acquiring..i'd say we'd have quite an impressive fleet...12 777's...12 A31's and 3 Freighters...the ATR's..and the 737-NG which i've heard PIA is looking into..also...i've heard from a reliable source that the chiarman said he was interested in acquiring a few 747-400's as well...lets see what happens..only time will tell now..
Aer Pakistan
Registered Member

Post by Aer Pakistan »

hi guys

just like to add few lines so far new chairman taking things step by step and hopefully you will see change in pia sooon, so far what i know is pia grounding its three b747-300 by this year and looking forward to have two more 777 by end of this year and two more 777 lr in jan 2006, more new aircaft likes 737-800 or 320 will be add too. i been in meeting where they are talking about two more new destination with 777. regards
Muhammad Ali - London - UK

Always Pakistan First, Pakistan Zindabad
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

They need to ground the 74M's before grounding the 743s. AP-BAK is now 26 years old. The three 743's that they planning to ground are like 19/20 years old. They should look at obtaining the A310Fs as soon as possible. [/color]

PIA are looking to modernise their fleet and improve their service as the other airlines in Pakistan like ED,SAI etc.. are starting international services, and they will have modern planes,and ED is already receiving praise for their service. Air India is loosing passengers to Jet Airways, as their service and planes are better. Jet Airways started international destinations a few months ago. PIA will follow a similar fate if they don't improve.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
behramjee
Registered Member

Post by behramjee »

Aer Pakistan wrote:hi guys

just like to add few lines so far new chairman taking things step by step and hopefully you will see change in pia sooon, so far what i know is pia grounding its three b747-300 by this year and looking forward to have two more 777 by end of this year and two more 777 lr in jan 2006, more new aircaft likes 737-800 or 320 will be add too. i been in meeting where they are talking about two more new destination with 777. regards
The B 743s shouldnt be grounded as they are the perfect aircraft for PIA to fly high density medium and long haul routes nonstop from Pakistan to Jeddah, Riyadh, Manchester and London only. These B 743s were built in 1987 and 1988 respectively and are in pretty decent shape maintainence wise. They have also been paid off so flying them on these high density year round routes is the best option.

This is one of the reasons why Saudia still flies its B 741s to Pakistan, Dhaka and India. Yes I know that its a big gas guzzler but it turns out to be a profit making aircraft for the airline due to its high pax and cargo carrying capability for these medium haul high density sectors. If u recall this is also why PIA didnt get rid of the AB4s for a long time due to similar reasons.

In time u will see Saudias B 743s replacing the B 741s on the high density Indian Subcontinent, Egypt and Nigeria routes.

Also remember one thing...PIA is not in the financial league as EK-QR-EY are...hence too fast international expansion is not a good option for them to undertake as they dont have the financial backup and easy cash avbl as those 3 Arab airlines do.
GrandSlam
Registered Member

Post by GrandSlam »

I've also heard that PIA's looking fwd to get Boeing 747-400s,....CharlieDelta11 is right they might be grounding some 747-300s pretty soon bcz of the upcoming retirements of the FEs
ord
Registered Member

Post by ord »

behramjee wrote:
Aer Pakistan wrote:hi guys

The B 743s shouldnt be grounded as they are the perfect aircraft for PIA to fly high density medium and long haul routes nonstop from Pakistan to Jeddah, Riyadh, Manchester and London only. These B 743s were built in 1987 and 1988 respectively and are in pretty decent shape maintainence wise. They have also been paid off so flying them on these high density year round routes is the best option.
Yes, I agree. Particularly with oil prices at record high, this is not the time to go on a cap ex. spending spree. Most airlines are doing their best to trim cap ex. to the greatest extent possible to absorb some of the higher costs associated with high oil prices.

As you rightly pointed out, PIA has already paid for these a/c and they are very cheap to operate and cushion the heavy brunt of high oil prices.
cheetah
Registered Member

Post by cheetah »

I really doubt the 744. There is a big pool of B4 FEs waiting to be training on the 747.
VC10
Registered Member

Flights to Australia.

Post by VC10 »

Salaam Aleikum

As ( I think) the only Australian member of this forum I read with great interest both the fleet upgrade plans together with plans to launch flights to Australia.I think the load factors would be good, but agree strongly with airblue's comments that they should be routed via either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.

Mike Likely. Townsville, Queensland.
AirBlue
Registered Member

Post by AirBlue »

Welcome to the forum VC10. It makes sense on those routes as they are sometimes not that loaded for A310's. So instead send a B777 via one of those places and thats how u can make the whole route.
VC10
Registered Member

Fleet Renewal

Post by VC10 »

I agree again airblue.Virtually all Asian Airlines that fly from Australia to Europe make a trip at their home base and sometimes another port. For me the prospect of flying SYD-KHI-LHE-LHR ( or even via one Pakistani port ) on a 777 would be probably my first choice, given PIA's very resonable fares.PS, that should have read SYD-SIN-LHE-LHR.Sorry!
Charliedelta11
Registered Member

Post by Charliedelta11 »

actually no..some of the FE's yhave been given the golden hand shake...and PIA's set to replace the ancient 3 manned cockpit with the conventional 2 man flight deck...the 747-400's ARE being considered...especially with the 747-300's nearing their retirement age...but they will still be around until the entire 777 fleet arrives and PIA makes some kind of arrangement for an alterante high density pax aircraft...esp with the B4's grounded...you cant sustain all these routes just by using 3 777's and 12 A310's...esp the middle east and the US..
smarties
Deactivated

Post by smarties »

I would also like to see SYD be served with a stop either in BKK or SIN. KHI-BKK-SYD. This flight can be done on the A310. As VC10 says it would do well with PIA's competative fares.
"Now we're going round in circles, tell me will this deja vu never end?"
CoyBoy
Registered Member

Post by CoyBoy »

A delegation will be visiting Seoul in December to evaluate extending Beijing service to there.
VC10
Registered Member

Post by VC10 »

Assalam Aleikum

I've been following this discussion with interest, and I must admit that I'm a bit surprised about the apparent hurry to retire the 747-300s. Notwithstanding the current high oil prices, I would point out that Qantas still operates 6 747-300s built between 1984 and 1987 very successfully on routes such as SYD-BOM.As far as I'm aware Qantas has no plans to retire the type in the imminent future.Perhaps it would make sence for PIA to concentrate on expanding the 777 fleet, retiring the 747-200s, aquiring or wet-leasing dedicated freighters in the interim and then having a good hard look at the 787 in the-8,-9 and now proposed -10 varients rather than phasing out the 747-300s for the time being.What do you think?

Mike Likely, Australia.
raza
Registered Member

Post by raza »

how about getting MD-11 as freighters
Salam to All .....Raza