Lahore Airport Main Runway to be Reconstructed and Secondary Runway to be Upgraded

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Lahore Airport Main Runway to be Rehabilitated and Secondary Runway to be Upgraded

Post by Abbas Ali »

Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) advertisement in September 27 newspaper to hire Project Director for reconstruction and upgrading of Lahore Airport main Runway 18L/36R.

Lahore Airport runways:

Main Runway 18L/36R
Secondary Runway 18R/36L

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
faisal-777
Registered Member

Re: Lahore Airport Main Runway to be Rehabilitated and Secondary Runway to be Upgraded

Post by faisal-777 »

I dont get the long duration for which the runway stays closed. What exactly is the construction work that is going to take that long. Does anyone know?
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
Abdulrafeysiddiqui
Registered Member

Post by Abdulrafeysiddiqui »

Corruption.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

From October 9, 2020, to February 21, 2022.

Lahore Airport main Runway 18L/36R will remain closed due to runway reconstruction work started on August 4.

Secondary Runway 18R/36L will remain available for flight operations.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

From November 23, 2020, to February 21, 2022.

Reconstruction and up-gradation work on main Runway 18L/36R at Allama Iqbal International Air Port (AIIAP) - Lahore is in progress. Due to single runway and limited taxiway availability, backtrack/backtaxi, delayed departure and holding in air should be anticipated. Airlines advised to carry sufficient fuel for anticipated holding in air, delayed start up and delayed departure.

Aircraft also expected to fly holding pattern due to unavailability of ILS CAT-IIIB on secondary Runway 18R/36L during foggy/poor visibility weather conditions in Lahore during winter.

Source: flightradar24.com

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Lahore Airport main Runway 18L/36R reconstruction work.

Abbas

See you at:
AbdulAziz
Registered Member

Re: Lahore Airport Runways, Taxiways and Apron Maintenance Work

Post by AbdulAziz »

any new pictures or construction sight.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

From January 5, 2021, to February 21, 2022

Reconstruction and up-gradation on main Runway 18L/36R at Allama Iqbal International Air Port (AIIAP) - Lahore is in progress. Due to single runway and limited taxiway availability, back track, delayed, departures and holding in the air is anticipated. Airlines advised to carry sufficient fuel and anticipated holding in air, delayed start ups and delayed departures.

Lahore Airport runways:

Main Runway 18L/36R
Secondary Runway 18R/36L

Abbas

See you at:
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

I personally feel that poor planning is at foul here, surely we can construct and refurbish runways quicker than a year. It was absolutely impressive to see that Dubai done it within 45 days it was?

Secondly, to ensure fast taxi to/from the runway, would it not have been best to keep the crossing points on the main runway clear so that aircraft could leave/enter the secondary runway quicker?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Lahore Airport main Runway 18L/36R closed for reconstruction/rehabilitation work can be seen in this video.

The aircraft - AirSial Airbus A320 - is landing on airport's secondary Runway 18R/36L

Abbas

See you at:
Pakistan-1
Registered Member

Post by Pakistan-1 »

baberblues wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:03 pm I personally feel that poor planning is at foul here, surely we can construct and refurbish runways quicker than a year. It was absolutely impressive to see that Dubai done it within 45 days it was?

Secondly, to ensure fast taxi to/from the runway, would it not have been best to keep the crossing points on the main runway clear so that aircraft could leave/enter the secondary runway quicker?
There are multiple layers to a runway, a surface change on an asphalt runway can be done overnight given if you put in the machinery, however if you also go onto replace the whole runway from the bottom up it takes more time, Hong Kong will be closing it’s north runway for 3 years to refurbish it from the bottom up
Special Concept Livery to celebrate Pakistan's 70th year of Independence
Hassan777
Registered Member

Post by Hassan777 »

Pakistan-1 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:32 pm

There are multiple layers to a runway, a surface change on an asphalt runway can be done overnight given if you put in the machinery, however if you also go onto replace the whole runway from the bottom up it takes more time, Hong Kong will be closing it’s north runway for 3 years to refurbish it from the bottom up
On a recent visit to Lahore i had a good look at the work in progress at the airport and i think you might be right because not only was the asphalt dug up but the rock layer underneath it was also excavated and i think they are renovating the runway from the base layer itself hence the late completion time, the amount of rain Lahore receives i think its better to build the runway with care and expertise even if takes more time no one wants it to end up like the new Islamabad airport whose secondary runway’s parts sank down after a few months of opening.
baberblues
Registered Member

Re: Lahore Airport Main Runway to be Reconstructed and Secondary Runway to be Upgraded

Post by baberblues »

Thanks for the clarification and insight into runway construction. Could we possibly see the secondary runway being upgraded at some point too!
AbdulAziz
Registered Member

Re: Lahore Airport Main Runway to be Reconstructed and Secondary Runway to be Upgraded

Post by AbdulAziz »

baberblues wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 am Thanks for the clarification and insight into runway construction. Could we possibly see the secondary runway being upgraded at some point too!
Secondary runway 36L/18R is already rebuilt and renewed before main runway to be able to accommodate the traffic nowadays while main runway is closed.
Omairi7
Registered Member

Re: Lahore Airport Expansion Project

Post by Omairi7 »

Dear All,
I was checking Lahore airport on Google map today where i find something unusual. I hope members and abbas bhai can figure out that.
Runway 18L is dugged up understandably due to upgradation of the runway but i also found another patch linking 18R to 18L which feels like a exit way link from secondary runway. i am unable to attach the picture but members can easily find on google map. Hope someone can confirm why and what is the purpose of this patch or linking exitway kind of thing.

EK, EY, SV, PK, AIR BLUE, EASY JET, AA, TG, MH, FLY BE, VUELING, SAS, SWISS, LH, BA, AIR BERLIN, RYAN AIR, GERMAN WINGS, JET BLUE, U.A, QATAR , AZAL ...