Singapore Airlines Flight 368, Right Engine Caught Fire

Forum for sharing world aviation photos.
bnm
Registered Member

Singapore Airlines Flight 368, Right Engine Caught Fire

Post by bnm »

haroon_ek
Registered Member

Re: Singapore Airlines Flight 368, Right Engine Caught Fire

Post by haroon_ek »

First of all, great work at Changi to put the fire out before anything more serious than this happened.

Some questions do arise after going through the details of this incident.

1) First of all since all will be also thinking as to why the evacuation through the other side of the plane didn't take place (which is the left side)? After going through some forums, what I understood is that under such circumstances, it is more safer to keep the passengers in the plane than letting them out in such a big fireball. Adding to this, since planes are designed to withstand fire for a longer time, there is no immediate danger at this level if the firefighters are going to put the fire out eventually. Experts, kindly correct me if there is anything wrong here in my understanding.

2) Important question which rises is of the safety procedure starting from the pilots, the crew, the FAs and finally the emergency services in our country. Not to be pessimistic here, but a country like Singapore does have higher standards at almost every level, where does our country stands? Do we have such high level of emergency services fully practiced in training? We do get a lot of big planes, like A330, A340, B757, B767, B777, B747 etc., and the bigger the plane, the more bigger is the responsibility.

3) How many firefighter trucks we have per each big airport, i.e. Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Sialkot and Peshawar?