Scratch building wings for 1:25 B767-200 cut away model.

Forum for sharing info and photos related to aircraft models from around the world.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Scratch building wings for 1:25 B767-200 cut away model.

Post by ConnieMan »

Short while ago, i was contacted with very rare and special request if i could make left wing with engine and both horizontal stabilizers for Air Canada's 1:25th scale cut away B767-200 display model. Owner had tried many options to find a the missing parts but was un-sucessful in obtaining any. I looked at the size of these parts and his needs how he want's these parts made and finished. We had a meeting and we came to an agreement and then made a contact between us to scratch build these parts for him.

I knew where one other these models 1:25 scale cutaway model is displayed, so i contacted the fellow who was responsible for it, he lent me left wing from his cut away model so i can take pictures, do measurements whatever i need to replicate the left wing for another fellow's model. After getting the wing, i found best and fastest way to make this wing was to make it out of white styro foam. I laminated couple 1-1/2" white styro foam sheets together to get root rib's thickness and length, then i placed the wing on the laminated foam sheets and drew the wing's shape and out lines on the foam block. I started this work last week, today foam block was hotwire cut close to the profile shape of the wing. Since TE has 2 angles on it, first one is 90 degrees to the fuselage and then it tilts 45 degrees into swept back all the way to the wing tip. Due to these angle changes, i had to cut wing blocks in 2pcs at the point where angle change is!.

I also had to generate mid wing airfoil as i have root rib and tip airfoils. I used ruler and caliper to do the measurements and generated the airfoil. Paper templates were then made, cut and then glued on the template making board.x(Wall backing material)

My next step will be to cut out these templates from wall backing sheet, drill multiple holes for nailing purposes on the foam wing blocks before i cut wing cores with hotwire cutter.

I will post pictures soon of today's progress but for now last week's start of this project pictures for you all to see.

http://img30.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture004wli.jpg

Hope you guys appreciate my work, if anyone has this specialty need, pls contact me, if i can help you, i will to re-life your model/s.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: Scratch building wings for 1:25 B767-200 cut away model.

Post by ConnieMan »

Here are picture of model itself w/out left wing and stabilizers obviously.

Also included in this set are detailed interior pictures...

http://img714.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=fuselage.jpg

Hope you like these, i think this model was manufactured by West way models in UK.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I have done more work on this project, as it turned out that making foam cores for airliners with high sweep back angles is not an easy task, wings start off thin at the root and gets thinner and thinner towards the tip ends of the wing!. I tried 6 times to get perfect OB wing core but wasn't successful as heat from hotwire cutting the foam was burning it also. Then i came up with another plan to tackle this issue and not to waste anymore material then i have already. Now i'm happy to say that wing is on the forward move once again. After laminating the foam slab, i trimmed it into wing shape by cutting of all the access foam around it. Then i had to cut wing foam block into 2 sections due to trailing edge's angle were changing on TE at 4 spots!. First one is major change and other 3 are minors so where major change is, i made my cut there. (Picture #3 in first post's link shows a line drawn with pencil on the wing just OB of the engine pylon, that's where this cut was made on new foam wing core). After that i placed my templates on IB wing's foam block and cut he core from it. This was very tricky as wing has IB washout before it's joined to the fuselage. Then i had to make 3rd template that went in the middle and placed this and tip template to cut the OB wing core. As i said earlier in this post that, i had to try 6 different times to get good core but and then i had to come up with another plan for this wing section to be successful as heat was burning the thinner sections of the wing. What i did, i cut 1/4 length of the chord area from wing's TE into the wing at this mid section and cut almost 1/2 of the wing at the tip and then replace that foam section with balsa TE stock!, this change worked out great for this wing.

Once OB wing section started to look good and started to work, i glued both IB and OB wing cores together with Aliphatic resin glue. All this was done yesterday, so hopefully by today glue would have cured fully to work more on it.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

More update:

LE at root trimmed to match rest of the leading edge and sanded in airfoil shape.

Notice how new wing's airfoil turned out comparing to original wing's airfoil.

I will add LE's tip piece later on as it will be blended into the root LE area of the wing at wing/body fairing joint.

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Today's progress:

Last night before i left the shop, i glued on the trailing edge full span wise and taped it tight to the foam and left it to fully cure. When i went in today, glue was nicely and fully cured. If you look closely at the IB trailing edge section, it was not conformed properly with original angles of the wing. Btw here you will see how many angles change on this wing's trailing edge, it's looks constant change!. So newer wing was matched with edge of trailing edge of the original wing, i drew a line on the bottom on the access area of the new TE and took my exact-o-kinfe to it and trimmed it off. This a made the new edge conformed with original TE and now new wing is exactly same as original wing on this area.

Nasir
Registered Member

Post by Nasir »

The fuselage interior is really nicely done. A lot of fine detailing seems to have gone into it.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Nasir wrote:The fuselage interior is really nicely done. A lot of fine detailing seems to have gone into it.
YES Indeed these are beautiful Westway Models!. This was original Air Canada model and so is the one at museum whom i have left wing to work with. These also have illuminating full interior lighting also. My client's plan is to convert original lightning into LEDs....
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Before i temporally stopped working on this wing, i had added balsa leading edge on this wing, it was added as square stock strip but then was beveled into proper LE shape n contour. Yesterday i went and out rubber mold making kit, i will use this to make rubber mold of the engine fan disk and spinner on the borrowed wing. Once rubber mold it cured, i will then add side wall to it and cast the part with epoxy resin. This is going to be fairly easy but time taking process. I tried to make mold of this fan and spinner with other material as playdo and plasters cine but it didn't work as when u pull mold out of the nacelle, it would distort from it's original shape. With rubber mold, this will not happen and shape will remain the same.

I will take pictures of the process as i go along for all on here to see.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

Sameer, interesting piece of work. This reminds me of my solid wood model that i made long back. It was a B737 like model and i so called it A310, painted it in sporty livery of 90s and kept it at PAF exhibition at Lahore base on the day.

the model is having bad faith at the moment as my nephew tore its main wing along with horizontal stablizers from the fuselage :(

anyhow, i am in influence of this hobby after seeing your hard work within this hobby; keep it going :thumbs_up:
Raihan SR Bakhsh

flickr.com/photos/raihanshahzad
EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Sorry for very late reply Raihans, if you look at my Concorde projects last post, you will see why i was away and this project was also complete and delivered in last 2 months. It turned out excellent and my client is extremely happy with what i gave him, to him it was WAY More product then he actually expected...As i stated in other thread, i'm just posting pics of progress now from where i left it, i will answer all your questions at later date when things get calm in my family.

Well there it is for you, sometime it takes encouragement from others with same interest or similar to get started with what you want to create, that's the beauty of this hobby. I'm sure if you try to redo it with addition to today's technology and materials you will be much more successful with results then what you did many years ago. Hopefully soon we will see you starting on a project and we'll help you where you would need it.

Engine Nacelle rings drawn for main internal structure.

Engine Pylon

Silicone/rubber mold mixed to make casting of fan blade's disk.

Nacelle and Pylon dry assembled on the wing for test purposes before final assembly.

Wing/body LE fairing.

Wooden dowels were used to make wing mounting.

Strip planking process started to make inner and outer body of the nacelle.

I will post many more pics of this project till it's completion later on, enjoy these for now.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

excellent update on the project, learning many ways and techniques for r/c modelling through your project :) and missing those days spent at hobby lobby workshop :|
Raihan SR Bakhsh

EY-B77W, A345, A320, A319, EK-B773, B77W, A388, FZ-B738, GF-L1011, B732, A332, A320, A319, KU-A343, AB6, A310, A320, NL-A320, PK-B707/720, B733, B772, B77L, AB4, A310, A320, QR-A320, A321, A333, A359, A35X, B77W, B788, WY-B738, B739, A333
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks Raihans, these threads are done to show n teach people what it takes to make a product, there is no one way to do it, there are few different ones but i chose this route as i knew i can build it for him or be it anyone else...

Here are more remaining pictures of this project.

Both Horizontal Stabilizers were also made for this model.

I have few more pictures to get from the client after fitting these pieces on his model, soon as i will get them, i'll post on here to see the final product. These parts were delivered in primer stage as client will be painting them himself at some later date.
raihans
Registered Member

Post by raihans »

marvellous job :thumbs_up:

the finishing of the wing, nacelle, fan blade, etc is superb at this stage, looking forward for the finished product images :)
Raihan SR Bakhsh

ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Raihans,

Thanks bro, from my end this project has been fully completed according to the contract and needs of the client. I'm not sure when these parts will be painted in the future. He wanted these parts in primer so i delivered them in primer to him....

I was so happy with the results that i said to my brother at the time of completion that "I feel like keeping these now for myself!!...".....:)