PIA's First Widebody Aircraft Still Active

Share photos of PIA, Pakistani airlines, Pakistani airports and photos related to civil & military aviation of Pakistan.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

PIA's First Widebody Aircraft Still Active

Post by Abbas Ali »

Following photo shows Cielos del Peru Cargo McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30F freighter (registration N614GC) landing at Miami International Airport, USA, in March 2010.

Click here to see large photo.

This particular DC-10 (construction number 46931/137) was delivered as brand new DC-10-30 with registration AP-AXC to PIA on March 1, 1974 and it was first widebody aircraft to join PIA fleet.

Following photo shows AP-AXC on a pre-delivery test flight from McDonnell Douglas aircraft assembly plant in Long Beach, California, in February 1974.

And following photo shows AP-AXC welcomed in Pakistan after completing delivery flight from USA in March 1974.

In 1985/86, PIA exchanged its four DC-10-30 aircraft with four Boeing 747-200B aircraft of CP Air (Canadian Pacific Air Lines). Under this aircraft swap deal, AP-AXC joined CP Air on September 27, 1986.

Following is one of the last known photos of this aircraft as AP-AXC in PIA livery. The photo was taken at Frankfurt Airport, Germany, in August 1986, just a month before the aircraft joined CP Air.

In year 2000 this particular DC-10-30 was converted to DC-10-30F freighter with installation of main deck side cargo door.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: PIA's First Widebody Aircraft Still Active

Post by ConnieMan »

Great find Abbas and ever so great to see ex AP-AXC still flying strong to this date even as freighter :thumbs_up: \:D/
Pineapple
Registered Member

Post by Pineapple »

DC-10's reputation was marred by cargo door incidents in air. Otherwise it was quite a capable aircraft.
4 engines 4 long-haul
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Pineapple wrote:DC-10's reputation was marred by cargo door incidents in air. Otherwise it was quite a capable aircraft.
Well that was earlier years of service for DC10 types but later on all was fixed as all types of newer aircrafts goes through teething problems even to this day of age in there initial service years. Another thing is if type was so poorly designed it wouldn't had lasted all these decades of services to this day.....
Last edited by ConnieMan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Yes, the design flaw in DC-10 cargo door locking mechanism was detected during very early years after a non-fatal incident involving DC-10 aircraft of American Airlines in 1972 but after that incident, somehow due to someone's negligence, the recommended modification in cargo door locking system was not implemented in a DC-10 of Turkish Airlines which was involved in a tragic fatal crash in March 1974.

The cargo door lock mechanism/design was modified/redesigned and implemented in all DC-10s in service at that time or built later and DC-10 did not face cargo door locking problem again.

PIA DC-10-30s enjoyed excellent flight safety record. Long term operators of DC-10 aircraft included leading world airlines like KLM, Swissair, Lufthansa, Northwest and Japan Airlines. The aircraft type as KC-10 aerial refueling tanker is also in service with USAF since early 1980s.

Btw, I liked the way Cielos del Peru Cargo is flying former AP-AXC of PIA in good condition. This aircraft is now more than 36 years old and in its photo as Cielos del Peru Cargo McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30F (registration N614GC) with name 'PETETE V', it's looking very neat & clean with spotless fuselage!

Abbas

See you at:
F.K
Registered Member

Post by F.K »

are any of our ab4s still flying ? i remember someone telling me BEL and another were in operation till early last year.
F.K
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

F.K wrote:are any of our ab4s still flying ?
None of Airbus A300B4 aircraft that were owned by PIA in the past are in service with any operator. The PIA A300s withdrawn from use in 2005 were purchased by Turkey-based MNG Airlines and these aircraft were broken up/scrapped at Karachi Airport in 2006 after completion of parting out/cannibalization process.

As far as DC-10-30 aircraft are concerned, apparently AP-AXC is the only former PIA DC-10-30 still in active service.

Abbas

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas Ali wrote:
F.K wrote:are any of our ab4s still flying ?
None of Airbus A300B4 aircraft that were owned by PIA in the past are in service with any operator. The PIA A300s withdrawn from use in 2005 were purchased by Turkey-based MNG Airlines and these aircraft were broken up/scrapped at Karachi Airport in 2006 after completion of parting out/cannibalization process.

As far as DC-10-30 aircraft are concerned, apparently AP-AXC is the only former PIA DC-10-30 still in active service.

Abbas

Well the reason that 1 is still flying and other 3 aren't is because after the trade to CP AIR which was later turned into Canadian Airlines and then in year 2000 Canadian and Air Canada merged together, DC10s were not picked up by Air Canada and were sent to desert for scrapping. At some point in that merging period this particular DC10 was sold to present freighter company hence why it's still flying...I do remember getting trained on ex PIA's DC10 as Canadian Airlines aircraft in 1999 when i started working with Consolidated Aviation.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

AP-AYM (construction number 47889/229) which also was one of four PIA DC-10-30 aircraft that went to CP Air was last seen in active service as DC-10-30F freighter with Centurion Air Cargo with US registration N306FV in April 2006. This particular DC-10-30 was converted to DC-10-30F freighter with installation of main deck side cargo door in year 2001.

AP-AYM was built in 1976 and delivered as brand new aircraft to PIA, was the youngest of five DC-10-30 aircraft that served PIA. Out of these five DC-10s, AP-AXE was destroyed in hangar fire at Karachi Airport in 1981.

Here's April 2006 photo of ex-AP-AYM of PIA as Centurion Air Cargo DC-10-30F freighter with US registration N306FV.

According to last known reports, former AP-AYM of PIA after serving Centurion Air Cargo as N306FV was retired and parked at Miami, Florida, USA, in year 2006 where later it was parted out/cannibalized.

Here's 1976 pre-delivery photo of brand new AP-AYM.

Abbas

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Hey this great knowing that 2 ex-PIA's DC10s were saved from axe after the AC and Canadian merger in 2000. I know most of Canadian DC10s including aircraft fin number 911 or 912 with all employees signatures was scrapped eventually, though it was the most beautiful Canadian DC10 at retirement time. Kinda good n sad feeling about the demise of ex-AP-AYM tough...
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

The four PIA DC-10-30 aircraft that went to CP Air in 1985/86 were AP-AXC, AP-AXD, AP-AYM and AP-BBL.

Info about fate/current status of AP-AXC and AP-AYM has been posted in this topic. Here's info about the other two aircraft i.e AP-AXD and AP-BBL.

Former AP-AXD (construction number 46940/141) left Canadian Airlines fleet in early 1990s. After leaving Canadian Airlines, it joined Brazilian airline VASP (registration PP-SOM). Later it joined Continental Airlines (registration N76073) and ended its flying career with Continental Airlines in 2000. It was stored in Mojave, California, USA, and later broken up there.

Here's photo showing former AP-AXD after ending its career with Continental Airlines, seen stored in Mojave, California, USA, in 2000.

Former AP-BBL (construction number 47868/200) ended its career with Canadian Airlines (registration C-FCRE) and it sported employees signatures livery during last years of service with Canadian Airlines. It was withdrawn from use in 1999. Then it was registered in USA as N305FV for Finova Capital Corporation and ferried to Marana-Pinal Airpark, USA, in 2000 and there it was broken up in 2002/2003 after plan to convert it to DC-10-30F freighter was abandoned.

Here's photo showing former AP-BBL of PIA undergoing cannibalization process at Marana-Pinal Airpark, USA, in year 2002.

Here, I would also like to add that PIA purchased AP-BBL in used condition from Alitalia in 1983 after the loss of DC-10-30 (AP-AXE) in hangar fire at Karachi Airport in 1981.

Abbas

See you at:
Pineapple
Registered Member

Post by Pineapple »

Thnx Abbas and ConnieMan for the historic info on PIA's DC-10s
4 engines 4 long-haul
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas Ali wrote:The four PIA DC-10-30 aircraft that went to CP Air in 1985/86 were AP-AXC, AP-AXD, AP-AYM and AP-BBL.

Info about fate/current status of AP-AXC and AP-AYM has been posted in this topic. Here's info about the other two aircraft i.e AP-AXD and AP-BBL.

Former AP-AXD (construction number 46940/141) left Canadian Airlines fleet in early 1990s. After leaving Canadian Airlines, it joined Brazilian airline VASP (registration PP-SOM). Later it joined Continental Airlines (registration N76073) and ended its flying career with Continental Airlines in 2000. It was stored in Mojave, California, USA, and later broken up there.

Here's photo showing former AP-AXD after ending its career with Continental Airlines, seen stored in Mojave, California, USA, in 2000.

Former AP-BBL (construction number 47868/200) ended its career with Canadian Airlines (registration C-FCRE) and it sported employees signatures livery during last years of service with Canadian Airlines. It was withdrawn from use in 1999. Then it was registered in USA as N305FV for Finova Capital Corporation and ferried to Marana-Pinal Airpark, USA, in 2000 and there it was broken up in 2002/2003 after plan to convert it to DC-10-30F freighter was abandoned.

Here's photo showing former AP-BBL of PIA undergoing cannibalization process at Marana-Pinal Airpark, USA, in year 2002.

Here, I would also like to add that PIA purchased AP-BBL in used condition from Alitalia in 1983 after the loss of DC-10-30 (AP-AXE) in hangar fire at Karachi Airport in 1981.

Abbas

Canadian DC10 with registration "C-FCRE" does ring a bell as one of the aircrafts i was trained on before it left the fleet!, It's sad that this particular DC10 with signatures was scrapped also and not preserved. Well i remember that AC only didn't picked DC10s as they used Canadian B744s, AB763ERs and B732s in there merged fleet for a while before letting B744s go and retiring all B732s.....so there was no to ever so little chance of C-FCRE to survive in Canadian hands...Merger was not welcomed by ex-Canadian employees for long time as AC didn't had any idea how to honor Canadian employees with there seniority and pay rates....

Thanks Abbas for the insights on the current status of all ex-PIA's DC10s...
bernyjee
Registered Member

Post by bernyjee »

Great pics shared by Abbas. Great job indeed. Yeah DC-10s added a new dimension and excitement both for PIA and its passengers.

I may not remember correctly, but I think B747s also joined PIA some where in early 70s. If I am not wrong, first two or so B747s were bought from Air Malta (which PIA also helped start) or so.

Did 747s joined the fleet after DC-10s? I wonder.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

bernyjee wrote:Great pics shared by Abbas. Great job indeed. Yeah DC-10s added a new dimension and excitement both for PIA and its passengers.
Thank you. DC-10's spacious cabin was widely appreciated by passengers.
bernyjee wrote: I may not remember correctly, but I think B747s also joined PIA some where in early 70s. If I am not wrong, first two or so B747s were bought from Air Malta (which PIA also helped start) or so.

Did 747s joined the fleet after DC-10s? I wonder.
PIA added first DC-10-30 (AP-AXC) in its fleet in March 1974. Two years later, in April 1976 PIA acquired its first two Boeing 747-200B (AP-AYV & AP-AYW) aircraft on dry lease from TAP Portugal. Later in 1980 PIA purchased these two Boeing 747s from TAP Portugal.

Abbas

See you at: