ANA to sells off its 747-400

Forum for discussing non-Pakistani aviation issues and news.
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

ANA to sells off its 747-400

Post by Adnan Anwar »

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... three.html

ANA to phase out 747-400s from long-haul fleet within three years
By Brendan Sobie

All Nippon Airways is preparing to phase out Boeing 747-400s from its long-haul fleet within three years. The Japanese carrier has already switched to new Boeing 777-300ERs on all five of its US routes. The same version will be used on some Tokyo Narita-London Heathrow flights from 24 May and will be used on all Heathrow flights by year-end.

Frankfurt and Paris will be ANA's only remaining international routes served with 747-400s, but airline sources say these too will be switched to smaller 777-300ERs by March 2010 at the very latest.

ANA operates eight 777-300ERs and has another nine on order, including four ordered last month. It currently has 23 747-400s, but most of these are operated on domestic routes.

ANA executive vice-president international relations Katsuhiko Kitabayashi says all the domestic 747-400s will also eventually be replaced with smaller aircraft, although a final retirement date has not yet been set. "We prefer frequency rather than capacity," he says, adding ANA is looking to sell its remaining 747-400s "as soon as possible".

Kitabayashi does not see a need for domestic 747s after a fourth runway opens up at Tokyo's Haneda airport in 2010. The new runway will give carriers extra slots to increase frequencies on domestic routes and to launch international services to other Asian countries.

In mid-March the Japanese government delayed the opening of Haneda's long-planned fourth runway from 2009 until 2010, giving ANA and rival Japan Airlines one more year to prepare for the increased competition that will result from Haneda opening to international flights and new domestic low-cost carriers.

ANA is planning to launch its own low-cost carrier after Haneda expands and JAL is restructuring its entire business in anticipation.
Adnan Anwar
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Maybe PIA should check out these 747-400's.
Adnan Anwar
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

Adnan Anwar wrote:Maybe PIA should check out these 747-400's.
They should :roll:
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Firstly, I wouldn't like to see PIA buy aircraft retired by other airlines. Secondly, B747-400, introduced nearly 20 years ago, is fastly becoming obsolete aircraft.

PIA aims to bring down overall age of its fleet and to be a modern and successful airline it must induct brand new and fuel efficient aircraft. If PIA really needs 747s for its future operations then it should try to arrange funds to buy or lease brand new 747-800s. In fact, PIA is considered as a potential B747-800 customer by a number of aviation analysts.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Abbas Ali wrote:Firstly, I wouldn't like to see PIA buy aircraft retired by other airlines. Secondly, B747-400, introduced nearly 20 years ago, is fastly becoming obsolete aircraft.

PIA aims to bring down overall age of its fleet and to be a modern and successful airline it must induct brand new and fuel efficient aircraft. If PIA really needs 747s for its future operations then it should try to arrange funds to buy or lease brand new 747-800s. In fact, PIA is considered as a potential B747-800 customer by a number of aviation analysts.
As i read this thread initially i thought of same as Adnan and Samee, but now after reading Abbas's post i will agree with Abbas bahi, PIA does have sever problems currently and leasing less aged aircrafts is way to go on short current terms but on long terms B/N aircraft as B748's would be the way to go and i want to see PIA with newer aircrafts too but then it depends on decision takers....
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

yeh i agree with abbas now that is true PIA needs to decrease the age of its fleet and putting these 747-400 will be going back a step. so yes i take back what i said

i would really say PIA should consider some B787's. wait awhile for the B747-800 though i love to see it in PIA colours!

but can PIA afford to buy the B747-800. they could do a deal with boeing to be the lauch customer (like with the B777's) but i think Cargolux is already the lauch customer.
Last edited by samee380 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
PIAC
Registered Member

Post by PIAC »

yea i'm with u guys

for me its to shame and talk about PIA. only 8 aircrafts are flying right now...

i think they should wait for 748's and then make a new livery
that wil be great
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

samee380 wrote:
but can PIA afford to buy the B747-800. they could do a deal with boeing to be the lauch customer (like with the B777's) but i think Cargolux is already the lauch customer.
Samee there could more then one launch customers, it all depands when orders are placed and if there are 1-2-3-4-5 that order at same time and then become launch customers, same as when B747 was rolled out in 1969 and B777-300 in 1997!....
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

PIAC wrote:
for me its to shame and talk about PIA. only 8 aircrafts are flying right now...
Why are you so much ashamed when talking about PIA!, every airline and business at times go through difficulties, for instance Air Canada, US Airways, Delta just to name few all went though same or similar instances, yet they pulled themselves out of tough times. As for flying only 8 aircrafts globally is not true!, these 8 B777s are only flying to EU and western countries and many others from the remaining fleet are flying though the rest of the world....
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

PIA can just about barely keep its current fleet maintained and airworthy and everyone is talking about them getting 748's and 787's??

The fact of the matter is that PIA at this point CANNOT afford new a/c of the likes of the 748 and 787. They'll be paying off the loans for the 777's for decades to come and now they should go and order brand new and the most expensive a/c on the market?

These 744's would be a good interim 743 replacement for the next 5 to 6 years, the time it would take for an airline like this to gain some semblance of normalcy and get its finances and house in order. Miracles do not happen overnight and neither do we see any hope of them happening soon. PIA cannot survive on loans and Govt handouts forever. The airline is in dire straits and can barely keep its head above water.

It would be a very unfeasible, not to mention pennywise and pound foolish for an airline in such a state to go and order brand new 748's and 787's. Looking at its track record and current state of affairs, creditors will not extend any loans to this airline and even if they do, the interest rates will be so high that by the time they're fully paid off, those very a/c will be ready for retirement.

So lets just put this 748 and 787 idea into deep freeze for the time being.
Moin Abbasi