Airbus A380 Facts!

Forum for discussing non-Pakistani aviation issues and news.

Which one of these double-deck planes you like?

Boeing 747-XXX
57%
Airbus A380-XXX
43%

Total votes: 21

umair_ayaz
Registered Member

Airbus A380 Facts!

Post by umair_ayaz »

Hi Guys, for your information below is a list of Airbus A380 operators, it'll be followed by some basis facts regarding Europe's "Super Jumbo":

A380-X Operators

The maiden A380 flight took place on 27th April 2005.

The designation “eight-8” in the title “A380” was chosen to represent the shape of the aircraft’s twin passenger decks.

For reduction of weight and prevention of corrosion, Airbus proposed unprecedented levels of composite materials in the aircraft’s structure. About 25% of the aircraft is of composites, of which 22% is carbon-fiber reinforced plastic & 3% GLARE fiber-metal laminate (first ever used on a civilian airliner!). Its prominent features, apart from reduction of weight are decreased fuel burn, fewer emissions & lower operational costs.

For the first time ever Airbus introduced Energy Alliance’s GP 7200 engines (a joint venture by General Electric and Pratt & Whitney) as well as Rolls-Royce’s Trent 900 engines. Both of these options produce less noise as compared to Boeing 747, are environment friendly and have been rated 70,000 to 80,000 lbs (311 to 356 kN) in the thrust range.

PAX capacity: 550 PAX (approx.) in standard & over 800 in all-economy layout!

Airbus A380 floor capacity is 49% more than its rival, Boeing’s Jumbo Jet (B747-400)

Approx Take-off weight: 1,200,000 lbs (550 tones)

Break-even point will be achieved by the manufacturer when it’ll sell 250 aircraft.

Stretched A380-900 with seating capacity of about 656 PAX (in the standard layout) & “Ultra Shrunk” A380-700 (seating capacity unknown : remember the Boeing 747SP???) are the expected successors of A380-800.
Last edited by umair_ayaz on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

holy!!! Isn't PIA gonna order any?? it would be good if PIA orders atleast 1-2 of these giants! :lol:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
umar.islam
Registered Member

Post by umar.islam »

I think the only time they'll be able to use it profitably is during Hajj season, which is 2 months out of the year. Probably better to wet-lease a few during that time. You'll notice that ILFC is on the list of customers.
umair_ayaz
Registered Member

Post by umair_ayaz »

Surprise entry in this list of Airbus A380 future operators for me is India based Kingfisher Airlines which has ordered 5 A380s!

It’s really surprising to see not that “renowned” Indian Airline stepping forward & ordering these heavies!

ILFC has done a sensible thing to order A380s, I think many airlines will be glad to lease A380s from ILFC, or otherwise under unusual circumstances, they'll be bound to lease A380.
Umair Ayaz
Member of Flightsim Pakistan & VASIM
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

voted A380
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
umair_ayaz
Registered Member

Post by umair_ayaz »

The legacy of Boeing’s Jumbo will be difficult to surmount! But, anyhow, it’s just the beginning for Airbus A380…let’s see to what level it gets succeeded! It sure has many edges over the aging Jumbos…Still the actual flight performance of A380, over a considerable time period is a key element yet to be tested!
Umair Ayaz
Member of Flightsim Pakistan & VASIM
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

i dont think PIA will get one at this moment as of the PIA 777 order. but maybe in about 5 yrs they may get a few. i think they may definatley need to buy either the A380 or the B747-800 to stay in line as one of the successful airlines escaping bankruptcy :oops:

i would go for the B747-800 personally. looks nice

but the emirates order my god thats a big order :shock: :shock: :shock:
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

i can see the future! emirates will be the most succesful airlines! :lol:
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

As far as EK is concerned, ordering just about everything on 2 wings that comes out of Boeing and Airbus doesn't necessarily guarantee you success. At the rate they're ordering a/c and mega rapid expansion, things might just spiral out of control and the bubble burst. Their success has gone to their head and its beginning to look like they're biting off more than they can chew.

Who would have ever though that airlines like Pan Am and TWA would cease to exist one day. EK better be careful or they might just end up like them.

Irrespective of whether the A380 is a success story or not, I still find the 747 the most graceful a/c ever to take to the skies and she will be hard to replace. Boeing has retained its classic look, that unmistakable silhouette that cannot be outdated by the calendar yet it can incorporate the latest technology under its skin.

I'd much rather see PIA go for the 747-8. The A380 is a long shot. As mentioned above, it would be most suitable during the Hajj season, but as far as seeing one in PIA colors, I think we can just about forget it for the near future. The mere fact that they're leasing 747-200's for the Hajj season, from previous Russian a/c is a big step in itself. Lets not push it.

Right now its the 777 and ATR acquisition thats occupying PIA after which I suspect there will be a lull and the A310's and 737's will continue to pull on till they're about to fall apart.
Moin Abbasi
Gulistan
Registered Member

Post by Gulistan »

Emirates will be able to fill those 380 with traffic for Pak, india , bang etc. Those national caqrriers best buck up their ideas or the market will become even tighter.
PIA10141
Registered Member

Post by PIA10141 »

Gulistan wrote:Emirates will be able to fill those 380 with traffic for Pak, india , bang etc. Those national caqrriers best buck up their ideas or the market will become even tighter.
I don't think that they would be aloud to land since the runways in these three countries are meant for airbus a380!! heathrow had to extend its runway i think to be able to acomadate these A/Cs
REGARDS--
Mohsin Naseem - PIA10141
Gulistan
Registered Member

Post by Gulistan »

PIA10141 wrote:
Gulistan wrote:Emirates will be able to fill those 380 with traffic for Pak, india , bang etc. Those national caqrriers best buck up their ideas or the market will become even tighter.
I don't think that they would be aloud to land since the runways in these three countries are meant for airbus a380!! heathrow had to extend its runway i think to be able to acomadate these A/Cs
Not as fas I know, they have to alter their air bridges to accommodate the height & double decker. I am sure Emirates will pay to extend the runway if required , as they paid for work at Peshwar.
flyingsystem
Registered Member

Post by flyingsystem »

Voted A380: its the jumbo of the future! Two big decks, easy to configure with more possibilties of configuration than the 747.
The 747 is an old plane even the new -8, because it cant rival the A380 with its small upper deck.
Btw, design wise, I prefer the 747.
sAAd
Deactivated

Post by sAAd »

EK has converted both its freighter orders to the passenger versions, and will be leasing a further two. And Singapore Airlines has ordered 10 more A380-800s along with their 20 odd order of the A350s.
sAAd!
Adnan Anwar
Registered Member

Post by Adnan Anwar »

Gulistan wrote:
PIA10141 wrote:
Not as fas I know, they have to alter their air bridges to accommodate the height & double decker. I am sure Emirates will pay to extend the runway if required , as they paid for work at Peshwar.
No All emirates have to do just shuttle people from Pak, Indy and Bang etc using the smaller planes to Dubai and then load them into their big busses called A380's. There will be a whole zoo of people inside the A380 imagine that. YIKES!
Adnan Anwar