[model] Which one should i get? DW or PH?

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

[model] Which one should i get? DW or PH?

Post by SaadSaeed »

A- Dragon Wings 747-300 (Pakistan International Airlines AP-BFW "Garden of the Mughals")
B- Phoenix-models B747-300 (PIA "Mughals" livery)

I already have a dragon wings "Colours of the Desert", should i keep to the same make or is Phoneix-model a better version?
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

ive got both and i have PX and DW. I prefer PX as they colours and textures are good . The desert DW isnt very good missing detail...also the text "Colours of the desert" is green instead of black.

The Mughal DW is much better Very nice look here
http://www.dragon-models.com/html/55957p1.htm

the tail texture is FANTASTIC!! also the PX is good. i would get both if you can? like me or if not go for PX mughal. But nothing wrong with DW though the beige colour looks odd??
My Aircraft Model Photos: www.flickr.com/haq747
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

Thanks Samee, can you do me a fav, put the PX and DW side by side, take a pic and post it here or tell me how odd they look. I dont want to get both but i do intend to put them one i buy next to my DW desert model and want to know how that PX beige compares to DW's. If the difference is too noticeable then i would like to go with DW to keep it as a set.
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

well i tell you now if you are going to keep the DW DESERT TAIL then go for the mughal DW as the beige colour matches. the PX beige doesnt match with the DW ones but matches with the GJ PIA 777-200.

so go for the mughal DW. BTW where are you going to buy yours from?
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

I bought the Phoenix (PX) model over the Dragon Wings (DW) version. It depends in what you are looking for, I value the textures and colours to be accurate so all my aircraft look the same hence, I picked the PX version over the DW. However, the DW mould is more accurate interms of the structure and wing probes, compared to the Phoenix.

As you have already picked up the DW B742 Desert stick with the DW B743 Mughal so the colours match. However, as I have a GJ PIA 777 in my collection I would like the colours to match with the two new B747s and hence the closest was the PX - sadly the DW is way to grey compared to the GJ as well as in real life. Also the DW B742 misses some of the textures on the tail hence I didnt pick it up. I have not seen the DW B743 to make a judgement though from the photos it seems the colours are the same as the DW B742.

The chose is up to you... for more views check out the two websites I gave u to see what other collectors think. 8)
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

here is a pic of DW Mughal tail. looks nice but the text "Garden of the Mughals" is green when it should be black???? like with the DW Desert tail

SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

:shock: You know what i think i have a Phoenix-models in desert tail! :shock:
Strangely there is no mention of the company name on the retail box at all. But here is the logo. Is that Phoenix-models? That freakin thing looks like dragon and a phoenix. What the heck is this mixed breed...
samee380
Registered Member

Post by samee380 »

thats Phoenix logo :lol:
so i would probably go for the Mughal Phoenix then?
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

Yep ordered a phoenix model from AviationMegastore.com Its a shop near schiphol (not in the airport but 10 min taxi ride). Nice people in general and a huge collection. I can easily spend hours there but i prefer not to visit cuz i end up doing impulse shopping.
Thanks for your help both of you guys. When i get it, i will put them together and do a photoshoot with my new rebel xt ;)
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

It depends on what matters more to you, the accuracy of the 742 and 743 mould or whether the shade of beige or green is on or slightly off.

To me it has to be none other than the perfect mould. I can live with a slightly incorrect shade but an incorrect mould is an out and out reject for me. DW has a far superior 747 mould as compared to PX and I would never purchase a PX model if I know that DW will be releasing the same model. I have purchased both the PIA 742 and 743 made by DW and will also be getting their TAAG 777 which is also being released by PX.
Moin Abbasi
SaadSaeed
Registered Member

Post by SaadSaeed »

I already had a PX so i went with the PX model to make them look like a set. I fall for the later anyway since i prefer my models to have proper colors first then anything else. Accuracy of a mould can never be perfect while colors and textures can be made to resemble the real thing. I'd love to have movable rubber tyres and flippy flaps etc but they dont make that in 1:400 scale.
FASTEN SEAT BELT WHILE SEATED
PK777
Registered Member

Post by PK777 »

Saadu wrote: I'd love to have movable rubber tyres and flippy flaps etc but they dont make that in 1:400 scale.
You know they have already started making these in 1:400 scale, the models that currently feature the rubber tyres are from Gemini Jets on the A310, B767, B744 and A380. The flaps have not been developed yet!
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Flippy flaps??? You can't even get that in 1/200 scale forget 1/400! Lets not push it here. You can only replicate so much in 1/400 and AC, B.Bird and DW have so far done a fantastic job with the 747 mould.
Moin Abbasi