PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Share info and photos of all kinds of aircraft models related to PIA and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

PIA or PAF's 11 foot WS C130's RC model's build thread!!!

Post by ConnieMan »

Hey Gang,

How are u guys doing, i see site is still going strong and mostly new names are all over it but few good ole ones are around too.

Some of you guys know that b4 i had my incident earlier this year, i was out of picture completely, well since site got updated i had problem logging on here, well after all this time and almost giving up on it, Abbas came to rescue and fixed the problem finally.

While i was away from here we bought new house and property in countryside of Huttonville area. It's on 2 acres plot with beautiful huge house, barn, my separate modeling shop and most off all flying space in my backyard.

I also went to Sherbrooke QC a week ago and brought my big model of C130 i bought last year. This model is giant at 1/12th scale!, has length of almost 9 feet with wing span of 12 feet, tail sits high off the ground at almost 4 feet!!!. I never thought it was this big as i knew it was big but when i saw it in person. "Holy Marco baby!!!"...

Over last winter it was stored in a container with leaking roof, so most of its skin sheeting got worn out and pulled off the main structure, no bid deal to re-do it, well it also has sustained some sort of impact damage which actually damaged a lot of left side of fuselage's main structure that needed immediate attention. So soon as i got it home and into my shop, i started to work on it. It's very very expansive model but worth every penny, time and energy spent on it. So far from what i have found, i am 3rd in whole Canada to have this model of this magnitude...

I'll post pictures soon...

AH
Connieman
Last edited by ConnieMan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: Finally i brought my new BIG C-130's model home....

Post by ConnieMan »

Few pictures of new house n stuff..

From 1900 feet, i was flying my friend's Osprey 2 over the house when he took this picture....

Enjoy it....Btw yesterday i flew my RC electric planes in the backyard for the first time...
Last edited by ConnieMan on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Now the new Hanger n "Mighty C-130"

Soon after loading the "Herky bird" in my van at previous owner's house in Sherbrooke, QC. More credit goes to my friend Amyr Qureshi for locating it for me and then going all the way to get it 1-1/2yr later!

After arriving the long 24hrs trip, i drove for 17hrs on that trip just to get this plane...."I know i'm nutzzz"

Few of my ongoing projects including the S Connie and Avro Arrow.

Two of Lockheed's best designed aircrafts ever produced!.
C-130 is 1/12th scale and Constellation is 1/14th scale.

130 goes into the Hanger for through inspection not knowing it will turn into "D Check"... :wink:

First this was to remove the worn out old swelled skin

All old damaged skin is off and model is once again placed on it's own custom made work stands to fix all the structural damage starting from on left aft fuselage. (Rear cargo ramps)
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

I like to get some idea's on variant and livery suggestions for my C-130. I like to do it in PAF or PIA's colors but i haven't come across any really appealing scheme. These are what i have in mind presently.
vpiahr
Registered Member

Post by vpiahr »

Welcome back, your abscence from the Forum was noticed ! So when do you start work on putting down a good quality Runway? LOL. The enthusiasm is still alive and kicking as before without any doubt.

"The Connie King" has entered the Building !!!!!!
Perry Green
PIA10170
Allama Iqbal Int

http://www.vpia.org/
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Re: 12 foot Wingspan C-130's rc model!!!

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks for the welcome back Perry...

Hey no way i'm the "Connie King" but do know a lot about Constellations by now and would be honored to help you or anyone else on this marvelous aircraft.

Just an update on C130's OB wings.

I have talked to a another friend and we both agreed to make the outer wings form foam, same as i did for my Constellation model.
These wings will be 4.5' from OB root to tip each!.. This way i don't have to cut all the ribs from scratch!.
captain_salman
Registered Member

Post by captain_salman »

Welcome Connieman! or should I say Herculesman! 8) Stunning C130 you got there sameer.....as perry said for a plane like this...you need a good runway! :P i suggest you take a lawn mower :wink:

paint it PAF! 8)
See you at vpia.org
Virtual Pakistan International Airlines - The Wings of Pakistan!
nopy99
Registered Member

Post by nopy99 »

All I can say is WOW, Congrats on the new house and the acerage you managed to secure as well. The new hanger and "APRON" look really impressive.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Thanks guys,

Shop is now more organized then what you see in those earlier pictures.

House was long over due but now we got it, yeah i've been thinking on the lines of adding a strip of runway but honestly don't need one at this time as i have been flying electrics and it's been great this way. They r so light and landing on grass is best for them.

I just bought E-Flight's B777-200's model, just beautiful flying foamy machine yet it's very scale too with machined scale landing gears!!. It will get new paint job as original scheme is of Horizon Hobbies own livery n it's yuky...

Took the big C130 to Airliner's show today, what an attraction it gained among 1/400 scale diecasts n 1/100 Pacman models, i had a lot of drooling eyes all over it, all sort of questions were asked about this model and to top it off, from what i think Discovery channel's video guy was there filming the show while i got his attention and he interviewed me also. It was 45-50 mins interview and will be aired in couple of months as they still want to get more model shows covered before the end of this year.

Guys there were amazed to see 12 foot wingspan fully scratch built model with all functional features on it! I have taken whole bunch of pictures at the show, will post some soon.
Since this was first show for me since i got out of hospital therefore it was unique, in certain ways and i met with lots of guys from airport and friends from past that only see at shows like these. Then went for bit of spotting as i really enjoyed the day.

Regards
sfarooq
Registered Member

Post by sfarooq »

Connieman you have an amazing collection which I've been admiring for some time now (from your previous posts) and I really admire your dedication to the collection :) Looking forward to your C-130 build reports.
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

sfarooq wrote:Connieman you have an amazing collection which I've been admiring for some time now (from your previous posts) and I really admire your dedication to the collection :) Looking forward to your C-130 build reports.
Thanks Farooq for kind words and appreciating my RC flying model's collection.

I have done a lot more work on C130 since last post on here, i will add more pictures to this thread of the model next time im online n visiting HOP!.

I will be starting to work on Constellation once again, so by neaxt season it's ready for it's first flight, hopefully together with this C130.

C'mon guys i need to find good livery for thsi C130, my first choices are Pakistani ones vs others, so help me out with it. I also like RAIT livery on 61664 A/C with beautifully painted tail!
sfarooq
Registered Member

Post by sfarooq »

The RAIT livery is very cool but another suggestion would be the classic PIA colors for this, even though the original PIA a/c was an L100 but still............ :)
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

Farooq, as a model it's not big deal to cover up 3/4th side forward windows and cheek windows on both sides of cockpit to make C-130 into L-100 variant for A/C# 64144 in original PIA's livery but i have decided to initially make it as EC-130H for USAF first year and then convert it into either PIA's, Saudi AF's Medical fleet or in RAIT livery.

I have finish re-building whole newer cockpit window frames including 3/4th side forward windows and cheek side windows, this was most difficult task to do as i had to do it with removal/re-placing one frame at a time!. Since i have no drawings on this aircraft, i am going by downloaded close up pictures from A.net and J.net for scaling and detailing purposes. This took about -3 weeks to do so.

After cockpit i went to mate wing to the fuselage!, this is another major step which is still under works presently, i had to use old L/E joint former as template to make notch marks and cuts before i replace it with 1/8th aircraft plywood former. As i got all the template work done, i made newer former from new sheet of 1/8th A/C plywood and epoxied where old former was, i also reinforced this former to fuselage box frame as it will take all the load, stress, weight of the aircraft. I still have to make rear spar attachment former out of ply also before i can mount and glue the wing to the fuselage.

Front redome rebuilt is also completed minus the sheeting. If you alll look closely to pictures of actual C-130's redomes, you will see the errors on the model's original built!, now model is built at per plans but plans have errors too at various locations through out the aircraft!. So as i fixed the cockpit window frames, i had to do the same to redomg to get top correct curve, slant redome top and higher tapered angle of the bottom. Bottom was redone by making and adding newer ply stringer at higher angle, this was done by filing stringer mounting notche's more int her formers by 1/8th"!, this extra 8th" gave me correct angle or least say better appearing angle to scale.

Newer Beaver tail cone is also made and fin's tip is cut and sanded into true shape of actual C-130 aircraft.
nopy99
Registered Member

Post by nopy99 »

sfarooq wrote:The RAIT livery is very cool but another suggestion would be the classic PIA colors for this, even though the original PIA a/c was an L100 but still............ :)
If you are going to use the RIAT livery, make sure you reproduce the spelling mistakes as well so that it is authentic!
ConnieMan
Registered Member

Post by ConnieMan »

nopy99 wrote:
sfarooq wrote:The RAIT livery is very cool but another suggestion would be the classic PIA colors for this, even though the original PIA a/c was an L100 but still............ :)
If you are going to use the RIAT livery, make sure you reproduce the spelling mistakes as well so that it is authentic!

Hmmm interesting!!, well i am going to slightly change the paint scheme also if i did RAIT scheme. This will be due to technical reason related to flying these models.

When you have model flying towards you, you want to see the model not get camouflaged with green trees in the back ground!. Lets see if anyone can pick this element out i refereed to.