Eroneous Landing

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
R.F.
Registered Member

Post by R.F. »

Nice shot clearly depicts the layout. All flights are subject to ATC under an IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) flight plan. Once the pilot states that he has the "field in sight" then the IFR flight plan is cancelled and ATC absolved of responsibilities, such other traffic seperations, however traffic advisories can be passed.
atmalik
Registered Member

Post by atmalik »

R.F. wrote:Nice shot clearly depicts the layout. All flights are subject to ATC under an IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) flight plan. Once the pilot states that he has the "field in sight" then the IFR flight plan is cancelled and ATC absolved of responsibilities, such other traffic seperations, however traffic advisories can be passed.
well in that case could be a case of pilot error, what with being unfamiliar with the air fields etc. But then again wouldnt the tower in KHI show concern if the flight did not show up in their territory after a certain amount of elapsed time?? and try and contact the aircraft to verify its whereabouts.
umar.islam
Registered Member

Post by umar.islam »

True regarding that once the Pilot has visual of the runway, IFR is desolved, BUT, Tower MUST have visual with the aircraft on Final approach before he gives the Pilot a landing clearance. I know the ATC was understaffed that day, in addition to the stress of the VVIP movement of the PM, but all I'm trying to say was that this was not solely Pilot error.
FULLTHRUST
Registered Member

Post by FULLTHRUST »

what significance does PAF Faisal carries??????????????????????

except paf officers and their families getting disembarked and getting onboard paf c130s//// what else?????
Waqar747
Registered Member

Post by Waqar747 »

MNG crew are having a little trouble adjusting. Last night I flew back from Lahore on the 18:00 flight to Karachi (Leased MNG 737-400 TC-MNL). The aircraft landed and then taxied to the international apron. I was too busy trying to take photos in the dark, to notice that it had missed the domestic apron. The aircraft then went on to a gate and shut down its engines. The captain informed us that the doors will be opened in a few minutes as they were having some technical problem that he didn't know of. Aircraft doors didn't open for a few more minutes and then I saw a stairs truck hurrying over to the aircraft. The aircraft remained parked next to the bridge and we were disembarked via stairs.
I could be wrong, but it seems like the pilot taxied to the wrong gate and ground crew had to arrange stairs for the passengers to disembark. I could see ground crew looking confused when the aircraft taxied in. This is cause for a little concern, at least for me. I'd rather take another flight with crew on board that is thorough with their procedures, not necessarily familiar with navigation charts.
Last edited by Waqar747 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
umar.islam
Registered Member

Post by umar.islam »

Since we've gotten on the topic of the ATIS, I will answer. ATIS is simply an "Advisory" transmission. Not a "Law."

As I said before, the Pilot is not blameless, but the more obvious question is, what was ATC looking at when it cleared this aircraft to land. I think the most important idea to be discussed at this point is the issue that ATC was, and has been understaffed for quite some time now. This is the issue that must be addressed and rectified.
R.F.
Registered Member

Post by R.F. »

ATIS stands for 'Automatic Terminal Information Service' that passes METARS, what law are you talking about.
Adnaan786
Registered Member

Post by Adnaan786 »

No error can be singled out to one cause. It's always as result of many errors culminating in a bigger error. In this case the ATC was over-worked, the pilots were not properly trained as they don't know their procedures well enough, and maybe the weather played a part too. So you can't just say "the pilots are flying the plane, it's their fault."
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Wrong Landing Leads MNG Airlines Pilots to Resign

By Mustafa Gun, Istanbul
Published: Wednesday, February 15, 2006
zaman.com

Two MNG Airlines pilots resigned after they landed on the wrong runway at the Karachi Military Airport in Pakistan.

MNG Airlines plane pilots Erol Kastar and Tulay Akkopru landed on the wrong runway at the military airport due to misleading information from the air traffic control tower.

The Turkish Civil Aviation Authority (SHGM) launched a disciplinary procedure against the pilots; however, after they were assigned for Pakistan flight once more by the company, the two pilots resigned.

MNG Airlines Assistant Manager Yilmaz Aytekin said Tuesday that the unfortunate event occurred due to misleading information from the control tower and bad weather, so it was no fault of the pilots.

Aytekin also emphasized busy air traffic at the airport: “An unfortunate event was experienced. Our pilots were assigned for another Pakistan flight; however, as the previous mistakes were hotly debated our pilots became offended. Our pilots demanded to fly another route, but we said, ’either you fly to Pakistan or you resign.’ They chose to resign.”

Source: www.zaman.com
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at: