The end of AP-BCM

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Moin
Registered Member

The end of AP-BCM

Post by Moin »

I got 2 very rare pics of the scrapping of AP-BCM at KHI airport which you can see on the pictures forum here titled 'Death o a PIA 747-200'. I cannot however differentiate which a/c is parked alongside BCM. It could be BCO or AYW. Check them out.
Moin Abbasi
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: The end of AP-BCM

Post by Abbas Ali »

Moin wrote:I got 2 very rare pics of the scrapping of AP-BCM at KHI airport which you can see on the pictures forum here titled 'Death o a PIA 747-200'. I cannot however differentiate which a/c is parked alongside BCM. It could be BCO or AYW. Check them out.
The aircraft behind AP-BCM is AP-BCN.

Three PIA Boeing 747-200s, AP-AYV, AP-BCM & AP-BCN and two Boeing 707s, AP-AXG & AP-BBK, were scrapped and completely broken up in year 2002 at Karachi Airport.

The aircraft behind AP-BCM is not AP-AYV because of following two main reasons:

1 - AP-AYV always had last 3 letters of its registration 'AYV' painted on its nose gear door. The 747 seen behind AP-BCM has only 2 letters painted on its nose gear door.

2 - AP-AYV had distinctive small antenna hump behind the upper deck and it was the only 747-200B in PIA fleet with this distinctive antenna hump. The 747 seen behind AP-BCM is without this distinctive small antenna hump behind the upper deck.

Note AP-AYV's distinctive small antenna hump behind the upper deck in this photo. The small antenna hump starts where upper deck hump ends:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Pakista ... B/201134/L

AP-BCO was not part of this scrap deal. AP-BCO was gradually cannibalized and now PIA is offering AP-BCO's bare hulk for sale.

Here's an article on 747s/707s scrap deal from August 14, 2002 issue of The News
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

Yes Abbas I know what you're talking about. That small hump is known as a Satellite Tracking Antenna and it was on all early production 747-100's and 200's for Pan Am, TWA, NW, UA, AA, DL, BOAC, LH, KLM, AF, JAL, SR, AZ, AC etc. Later on alot of those airlines removed them. I even recall seeing a pic of a CP Air 742 with the same hump but apparently they removed it sometime before the a/c went to PIA. I actually quite liked the look of it.
Moin Abbasi