Lufthansa Team to Visit Pakistan

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
baberblues
Registered Member

Re: Lufthansa Team to Visit Pakistan

Post by baberblues »

ammad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 pm
baberblues wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:58 am I feel sorry for Karachi, airlines obviously are not wanting to go there due to the Middle Eastern Presence, however would a triangular routing ever work? Like XXX-KHI-LHE-XXX and XXX-LHE-KHI-XXX
This is a very weak argument and unfortunately this mindset is prevalent in PIA management's action too.

As evident from CAA departure data, on any given day Most number of International travelers fly out from Karachi, now the question is who is picking up this traffic: Definitely not PIA that's why revenue wise PIA is in dilapidated condition.

Imagine an Airline lost fight of revenue in her own hub and back track to re-locate the flights from Karachi to Lahore with the hope to get North Pakistan to UK traffic uncontested hence revenue would be better.

Instead of fighting back and to recover passenger confidence from Karachi by asking Govt to impose same restriction on foreign carrier as LHE and ISB have, they decided to give up entirely Karachi as passenger market and this is the defeated mentality of Management which prevents PIA to recover lost revenue.

Now, COVID came and red list of UK battered PIA LHE-UK routes and ISB-UK routes is pretty much self explanatory regarding fragility of PIA approaches.
Its not an weak argument at all! It is the truth, why have BA or VS not ventured into Karachi? Why have PIA committed to a once a week flight to LONDON UK before covid19? Unfortunately there is not enough demand to Europe from Karachi compared to Islamabad and Lahore, that is fact not a mindset. KHI is another middle eastern hub with the amount of traffic from the middle east it has, 7 daily by emirates at one point. Who the hell can compete with that? Any airline would be mad to enter karachi when its completely dominated by the open skies agreement. LH would be mad to go to Karachi, it just wont work hence the possibility of a triangular routing.

I get that Karachi has the most traffic, that is correct, but it is the only international airport in Sindh that has flights from major airlines. The Punjab region has more than one international airport with a variety of international airlines serving these airports and the traffic there is therefore separated through these airports and not flowing through Lahore.

I am not just talking about PIA, i am talking about many airlines from the west (or maybe even east) wanting to operate from Karachi, the yield is just not there for airlines to make a profit compared to the amount they can make at Islamabad and Lahore.

With the motorway now in operation, getting to big (and small airports) has cut time for passengers, and unlike islamabad and lahore, Karachi city is some distance obviously from some of the bigger cities in pak.

I certainly agree with you that PIA has to sort out its own issues. And competition is healthy and great for us passengers. However it is the job of the PCAA to get up its backside and instil confidence in operating into Karachi.
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

dragonfly wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:31 pm I was invited by LH on the inaugural flight last time(photos upload on this site)the main reason for LH’s failure Last time round was the theft on onboard items🍾🍾🍾and equipment, upon landing at LHE (inaugural flight) the aircraft arrived with a Tow bar for A300-600R (required for LHE)it vanished without a trace, while attending the Ceremony at the Airport lounge with the crew and guests we found out about the tow bar,the aircraft was pulled back from the stand with ropes!
LH heavily depended on a GSA who could not generate the volume promised!!and An outdated aircraft without any IFE
in economy.
The final nail was the deterioration of security within Pakistan.
I hope this time round LH opens its own sales and marketing office and does not solely rely on GSA’s and does not operate a triangular route.
Question for all reading this😂😂

FRA-PAK🤔 or MUC-PAK🤐....remember LH is looking at PAK from a global prospective due to improving situation within PAK,CPEC,and the reconstruction of AFGHANISTAN, tapping into the lucrative decent yield VFR markets from North America and especially the UK, this was the main reason for BA’s expansion into LHE And requesting double daily to ISB and VS obtaining MAN ISB.
LH is reactivating the 747s and the 340-600 post Covid so who knows☺️
I look forward to all your thoughts on the the possible routing X Germany.
KHI..... maybe passed onto OS as extension from DXB or LX extension from DXB 3 weekly,4 weekly continue from DXB to MCT, this allows local traffic x DXB to KHI as open sky policy.
I hope the decision makers in Pakistan don’t try and prevent Legacy Carriers from returning to Pakistan to safeguard PIA and their own honey pots💸💰💷💴.
Welcome to lahore airport, where anything and everything gets stolen :roll:
ba260
Registered Member

Post by ba260 »

Swiss, AF/KL, and OS won't come to Pakistan anytime soon. If anything KLM would be the first arrive as they're bit more into markets were they can attempt to break the ice. Swiss only flies to premium cities if you ever notice, OS only flies where they can get O&D traffic primarily, you ever notice LH group keeps Lufthansa especially Frankfurt as the transit destination, then Munich, then Zurich, then Brussels. Brussel Airlines is Lufthansa Africa wing as they fly to former French/Belgium colonies in Africa and have a pretty strong operations, which why they probably have old fleets.

Once Pakistan is removed from the UK's red list, you can see potential announcement from Lufthansa. Lufthansa left Pakistan primarily due to the security situation. Mostly like the route would be 3 to 4 times a week on a A330/A340 - 300 or if any are left or 787. They should use the GSA that is run by the Avari hotel group.

Karachi could be potentially picked due to Volkswagen Group are apparently opening a plant near Sindh/Balochistan border. Most like Islamabad or Lahore will be picked due to huge Punjabi diaspora abroad, and also due to cargo.

Out of Europe BA and LH are the airlines that usually start up destinations that sometimes you wouldn't think they would fly too, AF, Swiss, Brussels, and OS are more conservative.
AC Flown: 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, A220, A319, A320, A321, A321, A330, A350, A380, CRJ200, CRJ500, CRJ700, CRJ900, Cessna 172, E145, E170, E175, E190, MD-11, and MD-80.

EA, PA, AF, NZ, AA, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, LA, LH, NW, PK, QF, QR, SV, TK, UA, US, & VA.
FKhan722
Registered Member

Post by FKhan722 »

If i remember correctly, in the mid 90's LH used to operate Frankfurt to Kathmandu via Karachi - the routing was as follows - FRA-KHI-KTM-KHI-FRA. I think the flight numbers were LH 764/763.

Any more news/updates? Would love to see when and to where they will start.

Hopefully they wont start a triangular flight like last time!! I am a die hard 747 Fan - if they start operations to ISB then you guys can expect a trip report - NYC-Germany-ISB with hopefully the first sector (NYC-Germany) on a 748i. :D :D

Best regards,

F. Khan
SaadSalmanPIA
Registered Member

Post by SaadSalmanPIA »

I guess KHI and ISB will be served by LH since their delegation is going to visit these two cities.
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

Only way the flights from Karachi sustain is when LH start picking up one stop passenger to North America. Meaning LH have to eat lunch of ME3 in order to sustain.

Between LH currently flies to 19 destinations in USA. Many of these cities are not served by ME3 hence LH have one stop advantage over them. For e.g. Austin, Charlotte e.t.c.
Fortune favours brave.
umar744
Registered Member

Post by umar744 »

please NOTICE Pakistani Passport need EU & UK transit visa for stopover or change plane even with green card or EU / UK resident card but no problem for USA / EU / UK passport
rizwan150
Registered Member

Post by rizwan150 »

Does this transit visa requirement applies to flights transit through germany. It might be a new requirement then.

I know back in 2016, i did change planes at Frankfurt without need of transit visa.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

Definitely they are looking for transit passengers for EU and North America. Pakistanis with a US/UK/EU/Canada visa on their way to/from these destinations do not need a transit visa at any EU airport (airside) but for example on a flight to/from PAK to/from Turkey, North Africa or Caribbean, Pakistanis will need a transit visa of Germany.
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

umar744 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm please NOTICE Pakistani Passport need EU & UK transit visa for stopover or change plane even with green card or EU / UK resident card but no problem for USA / EU / UK passport
That is what keeps European airlines from flying to Pakistan. Yes Pakistanis need transit visa (Visa A) also for airside transit. This applies to people who are flying to USA for example with a visa and do not hold any other residence title.
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
SaadSalmanPIA
Registered Member

Post by SaadSalmanPIA »

ammad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 pm Only way the flights from Karachi sustain is when LH start picking up one stop passenger to North America. Meaning LH have to eat lunch of ME3 in order to sustain.

Between LH currently flies to 19 destinations in USA. Many of these cities are not served by ME3 hence LH have one stop advantage over them. For e.g. Austin, Charlotte e.t.c.
They are smart, they will certainly try to eat ME3’s lunch. It will be a huge success if they manage to do so.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

umar744 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm please NOTICE Pakistani Passport need EU & UK transit visa for stopover or change plane even with green card or EU / UK resident card but no problem for USA / EU / UK passport
This is wrong. I have EU card and Passport. I have transited through UK (24 hours landside also possible- with conditions). British Airways carries passengers from Amsterdam and other EU destination and takes them to Pakistan without visa.

I have KLM flight to Manchester, landside hotel night stay for 16 hrs and next day flight to ISB with virgin and I will travel without visa. I have done that in the past and will do this again in coming weeks.

vv. from UK is also possible. LH picking passengers from UK or US/Canada and bring to Pak with a transit in Germany. However EU does not allow landside transit without visa as does UK for Pakistani passports.
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

bukhari917 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:33 pm
This is wrong. I have EU card and Passport. I have transited through UK (24 hours landside also possible- with conditions). British Airways carries passengers from Amsterdam and other EU destination and takes them to Pakistan without visa.

I have KLM flight to Manchester, landside hotel night stay for 16 hrs and next day flight to ISB with virgin and I will travel without visa. I have done that in the past and will do this again in coming weeks.

vv. from UK is also possible. LH picking passengers from UK or US/Canada and bring to Pak with a transit in Germany. However EU does not allow landside transit without visa as does UK for Pakistani passports.
Thats because you have an EU passport, not a pakistani one, for transiting in the EU and the UK do you need transit visas, hence it was a real issue for pakistanis flying to new york with PIA as it used to stop in Manchester. People wouldn't take this route unless you had US status.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

baberblues wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Thats because you have an EU passport, not a pakistani one, for transiting in the EU and the UK do you need transit visas, hence it was a real issue for pakistanis flying to new york with PIA as it used to stop in Manchester. People wouldn't take this route unless you had US status.
My bad, I meant to say I have a Pakistani passport and EU residence. Rest of the statement is correct above
ammad
Registered Member

Post by ammad »

baberblues wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm

This is not correct. I did travel via Manchester using PIA with Pakistani passport and had US visa on it and it didn't required any other transit visa, because i was not passing through UK border control in order to connect to the flight.

Exemption status are as follows: --

This information is current.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

Exemptions
You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
a permanent resident visa issued by Australia or New Zealand
a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
a permanent resident card issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002
a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to a Schengen country
a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
Fortune favours brave.