Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.


User avatar
Abbas Ali
Site Admin
Posts: 45856
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 pm
Location: Pakistan

Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Post by Abbas Ali »

Image

Hungary has shown interest in operation of direct flights to/from Pakistan. This was disclosed during a press conference between the foreign ministers of the two countries held today.

An airline from Hungary has sought permission for starting Pakistan flights, according to recent news reports.

Abbas
Last edited by Abbas Ali on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic title edited.
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Image


Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

It can only be Wizz air

Amaad Lone
Registered Member
Posts: 2634
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:10 am
Location: Lahore

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by Amaad Lone »

Most airlines flying into Pakistan only want to capture the transit business from Pakistan to UK, USA, Canada and probably Europe.

CAA now needs to change that policy and allow airlines flights per week depending on traffic between the two countries.

The unlimited flights offered to Middle Eastern carriers and Turkish has ruined any chance of a Pakistani airline surviving.
P.I.A

God's International Airline

bukhari917
Registered Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:14 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by bukhari917 »

Tuti Fruiti wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm It can only be Wizz air
I doubt if they will ever be interested in Pakistan due to high taxes and why would this be requested via foreign minister. I think it will only be a statement that we should focus on enhancing people to people contacts and direct air links --- i don't know, i have not seen the press briefing, does anyone has a link?

Hungary does not have a national carrier (or not that famous and ambitious to launch in Pakistan at least). If this is the case, it can only be wizz air but they will come directly and not via minister. They are a private company.

If true, it will be awesome to have such a flight link available so cheap but thinking of a 6hrs flight with Wizz, first thing that comes in my mind is that it will be a terrible experience still i will try if got the chance. ;) By the way, Islamabad or Karachi, both should be roughly 6hrs flight. What we know Wizz mostly operates A320s and its variants, Is any of the variant capable of flying 6+ hrs with full load? A321Neo?

bukhari917
Registered Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:14 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by bukhari917 »

bukhari917 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Tuti Fruiti wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm It can only be Wizz air
I doubt if they will ever be interested in Pakistan due to high taxes and why would this be requested via foreign minister. I think it will only be a statement that we should focus on enhancing people to people contacts and direct air links --- i don't know, i have not seen the press briefing, does anyone has a link?

Hungary does not have a national carrier (or not that famous and ambitious to launch in Pakistan at least). If this is the case, it can only be wizz air but they will come directly and not via minister. They are a private company.

If true, it will be awesome to have such a flight link available so cheap but thinking of a 6hrs flight with Wizz, first thing that comes in my mind is that it will be a terrible experience still i will try if got the chance. ;) By the way, Islamabad or Karachi, both should be roughly 6hrs flight. What we know Wizz mostly operates A320s and its variants, Is any of the variant capable of flying 6+ hrs with full load? A321Neo?

Found the link on YouTube. It does seem to be the case. In that case, Wizz is interested in Pakistan. Qureshi said number of companies of Hungary have joined the minister and they had meetings with respective partners. So could be wizz rep joined.

Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

bukhari917 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Tuti Fruiti wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm It can only be Wizz air
I doubt if they will ever be interested in Pakistan due to high taxes and why would this be requested via foreign minister. I think it will only be a statement that we should focus on enhancing people to people contacts and direct air links --- i don't know, i have not seen the press briefing, does anyone has a link?

Hungary does not have a national carrier (or not that famous and ambitious to launch in Pakistan at least). If this is the case, it can only be wizz air but they will come directly and not via minister. They are a private company.

If true, it will be awesome to have such a flight link available so cheap but thinking of a 6hrs flight with Wizz, first thing that comes in my mind is that it will be a terrible experience still i will try if got the chance. ;) By the way, Islamabad or Karachi, both should be roughly 6hrs flight. What we know Wizz mostly operates A320s and its variants, Is any of the variant capable of flying 6+ hrs with full load? A321Neo?
Pakistani passengers are suffering since last 15 years. Lets say this way. They dont have options and very few airlines + few airports and they pay alot. Any airline which offers a relief in terms of connectivity and price is more than welcome

NL
Registered Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by NL »

bukhari917 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pmWhat we know Wizz mostly operates A320s and its variants, Is any of the variant capable of flying 6+ hrs with full load? A321Neo?
Should be within easy reach of any A32x neo variant. TAP flies those same aircraft transatlantic from Portugal to Canada, the USA, and Brazil - all way longer than the distance from Budapest to anywhere in Pakistan.

baberblues
Registered Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by baberblues »

I remember Norwegian wanting to start flights to pakistan from Copenhagen and Oslo, this was back in the day.

Anyways great to see more airlines wanting to start pakistan, you have to wonder after a market that was neglected by many years by many airlines, now with business travel dead, VFR traffic will sustain cash flow for a limited period for these airlines, and Pakistan would most definitely be at the top of the list for many of these airlines.

London Flyer
Registered Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by London Flyer »

Could be Wizz Air Abu Dhabi rather than Wizz itself

bukhari917
Registered Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:14 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by bukhari917 »

Wizz Air CEO calls on Aviation minister, two sides deliberated on a strategy regarding direct flights between Islamabad and Budapest, the capital city of Hungary

ISLAMABAD, Apr 30 (APP): Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Wizz Air Joseph Varadi Friday called on Minister for Aviation Ghulam Sarwar Khan and discussed matters of mutual interests.

During the meeting, the two sides deliberated on a strategy regarding direct flights between Islamabad and Budapest, the capital city of Hungary, a news release said.

The minister said Pakistan had immense potential in the tourism sector and with increased flight operation between Pakistan and Hungary would not help promote the bilateral trade but also strengthen the tourism industry.

Ghulam Sarwar was of the view that improved air links would be beneficial for both the countries due to enhanced investment opportunities in diverse fields.

https://www.app.com.pk/national/wizz-ai ... -minister/

bukhari917
Registered Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:14 am

Re: Hungary Shows Interest in Direct Pakistan Flights

Post by bukhari917 »

London Flyer wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:28 pm Could be Wizz Air Abu Dhabi rather than Wizz itself
Direct Flights to Budapest they said

User avatar
Abbas Ali
Site Admin
Posts: 45856
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 pm
Location: Pakistan

Re: Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Post by Abbas Ali »

Seems Wizz Air CEO Jozsef Varadi was part of the delegation accompanying Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto on his official visit to Pakistan.

Image
Wizz Air CEO Jozsef Varadi meeting with Pakistan Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan in Islamabad on April 30.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Image

ba260
Registered Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Post by ba260 »

Not keen on seeing European LCC in Pakistan. The Pakistani population won't react positively to it. Pakistani population looks forward to generous baggage allowance, meals, and comfort, I doubt Wizz Air can deliver upon that.

Since Virgin and BA are already invested in Pakistan I doubt, another European carrier like Lufthansa or KLM wants to slice at the Pakistani market, unless uptick in tourism happened. If Lufthansa/KLM can secure 7 weekly flights under the respective countries bilateral agreement, then it can probably compete with BA and VS due to being able to offer more frequency. KLM has a extensive network into the UK.

Though I hope to see Lufthansa return to Pakistan, recently Pakistan FM went to Germany, and Germany FM was in Pakistan this week.

baberblues
Registered Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Post by baberblues »

ba260 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:59 pm Not keen on seeing European LCC in Pakistan. The Pakistani population won't react positively to it. Pakistani population looks forward to generous baggage allowance, meals, and comfort, I doubt Wizz Air can deliver upon that.

Since Virgin and BA are already invested in Pakistan I doubt, another European carrier like Lufthansa or KLM wants to slice at the Pakistani market, unless uptick in tourism happened. If Lufthansa/KLM can secure 7 weekly flights under the respective countries bilateral agreement, then it can probably compete with BA and VS due to being able to offer more frequency. KLM has a extensive network into the UK.

Though I hope to see Lufthansa return to Pakistan, recently Pakistan FM went to Germany, and Germany FM was in Pakistan this week.
The pakistani population will react positively to it, you do know most pak fares are bucket fares and folk want the cheapest option to Pakistan. There really isn't much business demand to Pakistan and this sort of traffic is very price conscious.

I am glad to see LCC start ops to Pakistan, this will open connection opportunism across Europe and the UK.

bukhari917
Registered Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:14 am

Re: Wizz Air Planning to Operate Direct Flights Between Budapest and Islamabad

Post by bukhari917 »

ba260 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:59 pm Not keen on seeing European LCC in Pakistan. The Pakistani population won't react positively to it. Pakistani population looks forward to generous baggage allowance, meals, and comfort, I doubt Wizz Air can deliver upon that.

Since Virgin and BA are already invested in Pakistan I doubt, another European carrier like Lufthansa or KLM wants to slice at the Pakistani market, unless uptick in tourism happened. If Lufthansa/KLM can secure 7 weekly flights under the respective countries bilateral agreement, then it can probably compete with BA and VS due to being able to offer more frequency. KLM has a extensive network into the UK.

Though I hope to see Lufthansa return to Pakistan, recently Pakistan FM went to Germany, and Germany FM was in Pakistan this week.
Fly Pegasus to Karachi and you will know how much Pakistani population is reacting to this low cost option ;)
I also believe Wizz focus is not just Pakistani community. Wizz usually focuses on possible tourist destinations. They will be aiming to bring EU tourists to PK. They have opened many gateways to the world which were hardly visited by tourists. Chisinau in Moldova, Varna in Bulgaria, Katowice and Krakow in Poland, Tuzla in Bosnia, Skopje in N. Macedonia, Lasi, Cluj in Romania are some of the examples which were never known to the world before Wizz started operating there for as low as 9 EUR. I have flown quite a bit with Wizz (and flying Tirana next week) and they are quite decent hosts compared to Ryan Air but indeed can't expect much looking at what we pay.