Qatar Airways Unlimited Super WiFi

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Qatar Airways Unlimited Super WiFi

Post by bukhari917 »

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has used QR Unlimited Super Wifi on their flights? Is it worth it? As they call it Unlimited, does it mean we can stream videos like Netflix or YouTube?
I will be flying from Istanbul to Lahore this Saturday and QR said both legs of my flight were eligible for Unlimited Super Wifi for $8 per flight per device. I think $8 is quite cheap so is it worth trying? I am also thinking QR have a nice IFE as well and both flights are about 4hrs approx so does it make sense to buy wifi?
Thanks
Kamal
Squawk_1200
Registered Member

Re: Qatar Airways Unlimited Super Wifi

Post by Squawk_1200 »

In March of this year it was $10 on Airbus 350. Frequent disconnection on calls and slow going video calls.Text messaging and receiving was ok. They may have better inflight WiFi receivers now.
Airplane is flown with brain not with stick and rudder.
AP-BMS
Registered Member

Re: Qatar Airways Unlimited Super WiFi

Post by AP-BMS »

I flew with QR from MAN to ISB & back. The Super WiFI connection was really strong, considering both outbound flights were full, but due to both inbound flights being under-loaded, the connection was like 5G fast! I think it depends on how many people use it. But, no, you can't use Netflix or Youtube on it.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Re: Qatar Airways Unlimited Super Wifi

Post by bukhari917 »

Squawk_1200 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:40 am In March of this year it was $10 on Airbus 350. Frequent disconnection on calls and slow going video calls.Text messaging and receiving was ok. They may have better inflight WiFi receivers now.
I understand $10 is if you buy in the air. QR offers discount for advance purchase. QR website also says some flights including b/w DOH & AMS (my return flight) have free Unlimited Super Wifi but for others we have to pay. I don't know why is it so. For my flight IST to DOH and DOH to LHE, both equipments are 777-300ER . For my return both flights ISB-DOH and DOH-AMS are A350-900 (so i hope free wifi on DOH-AMS leg).
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

Good morning from QR628 enroute to Lahore and just started our descent right now.

I wanted to report QR super Wifi performance. They had one hour free wifi on both legs IST-DOH and DOH-LHE. It worked fine but i couldnt connect to what'sApp audio or video calls. I purchased unlimited wifi on 2nd leg. WhatsApp still doesnt work but i have been watching unimterrupted YouTube videos 1080p quality and worked perfectly awesome.
murtaza12
Registered Member

Post by murtaza12 »

One thing to keep in mind is that WiFi on their Boeing fleet will probably be better than Airbus.

This happens on EK often, and they even claim different speeds on B777 vs A380 (Up to 3 Mbps on B777 and only ~900 Kbps on A380).

In my experience, WiFi on EK's B777 fleet is generally very good. Never had any issues with it, social media works perfectly and you can stream YouTube sometimes. I've done several speedtests, and the highest I got was 9 Mbps down.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

I also tested speed. It was around 8Mbps download.
Another interesting point is that wifi is available from take off to touch down unlike in the past when it was available only after cruising altitude I.e. above 10000ft
faisal-777
Registered Member

Post by faisal-777 »

If the internet is that good and cheap as described above, i wonder why airlines still would want to invest into IFE.
Once you have tasted flight, you will ever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward - Leonardo Da Vinci
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

faisal-777 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 am If the internet is that good and cheap as described above, i wonder why airlines still would want to invest into IFE.
Because its not free and not everyone in flight wants to use it.