Virgin Atlantic Announces Flights for Islamabad and Lahore from December

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
baberblues
Registered Member

Re: Virgin Atlantic Announces Flights for Islamabad and Lahore from December

Post by baberblues »

A comment about europe, I know its not a 1 stop option but partners KLM and Air France are with Virgin, therefore plenty opportunities to redeem with them going forward! I'm glad that more airlines are now coming to Lahore and hopefully these services do stay!

Also shame virgin didnt initiate Lahore to Manchester! Would've been good to complement the islamabad service.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

baberblues wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm A comment about europe, I know its not a 1 stop option but partners KLM and Air France are with Virgin, therefore plenty opportunities to redeem with them going forward! I'm glad that more airlines are now coming to Lahore and hopefully these services do stay!

Also shame virgin didnt initiate Lahore to Manchester! Would've been good to complement the islamabad service.

Feels good to read this news. Indeed KLM/AF and Delta do extensive codeshare with Virgin. Really glad and hopeful that I will not have to take Etihad for AUH-ISB leg in order to get my skyteam miles/XP from KLM. I can fly KLM from AMS to LHR or MAN and virgin to ISB/LHE. Unfortunately already booked my flight with QR last month for travel next month to Pakistan. Despite having a chance to reach Elite plus if I flew Skyteam to PK, I decided not to as Etihad simply sucks especially on AUH-PK routes. Most of the times no IFEs in A320s and disgusting meal pack. Waited a lot for SV and they scheduled for AMS early this year. I had booked JED-AMS inaugural flight but all messed up due to Corona. Virgin or AF will be gr8 options to PK.
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

bukhari917 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:48 pm
baberblues wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm A comment about europe, I know its not a 1 stop option but partners KLM and Air France are with Virgin, therefore plenty opportunities to redeem with them going forward! I'm glad that more airlines are now coming to Lahore and hopefully these services do stay!

Feels good to read this news. Indeed KLM/AF and Delta do extensive codeshare with Virgin. Really glad and hopeful that I will not have to take Etihad for AUH-ISB leg in order to get my skyteam miles/XP from KLM. I can fly KLM from AMS to LHR or MAN and virgin to ISB/LHE. Unfortunately already booked my flight with QR last month for travel next month to Pakistan. Despite having a chance to reach Elite plus if I flew Skyteam to PK, I decided not to as Etihad simply sucks especially on AUH-PK routes. Most of the times no IFEs in A320s and disgusting meal pack. Waited a lot for SV and they scheduled for AMS early this year. I had booked JED-AMS inaugural flight but all messed up due to Corona. Virgin or AF will be gr8 options to PK.
Absolutely, the codeshare has been fantastic to use, its great news all around.
dabi
Registered Member

Post by dabi »

I just checked and it seems Virgin Atlantic doesnt honor your Skyteam status. They only allow Delta Medallion benefits while flying with them.

I checked the following page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -faqs.html
hammad786
Registered Member

Post by hammad786 »

Nothing for Jinnah International :oops: :(
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

hammad786 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:13 pm Nothing for Jinnah International :oops: :(
I was also very surprised at this, i guess the ME3 have Jinnah Covered and therefore they wont fly to Karachi, I remember when Virgin Atlantic had stated expansion plans regarding heathrow slots and they had picked Karachi to serve. I think now that PIA is out the picture, it may be more lucrative to fly to lahore and Islamabad.
Airborne
Registered Member

Post by Airborne »

baberblues wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 pm
hammad786 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:13 pm Nothing for Jinnah International :oops: :(
I was also very surprised at this, i guess the ME3 have Jinnah Covered and therefore they wont fly to Karachi, I remember when Virgin Atlantic had stated expansion plans regarding heathrow slots and they had picked Karachi to serve. I think now that PIA is out the picture, it may be more lucrative to fly to lahore and Islamabad.

Fact of the matter is Karachi is still considered unsafe for them. They are surely not going to let their crew stay in KHI.
bukhari917
Registered Member

Post by bukhari917 »

dabi wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 pm

I just checked and it seems Virgin Atlantic doesnt honor your Skyteam status. They only allow Delta Medallion benefits while flying with them.

I checked the following page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -faqs.html
If I book a flight from klm and it includes virgin connection, I can see on klm website that it still offers XPs and miles. However as Virgin is not Skyteam member, I won't be able to avail Elite or Elite plus benefits on virgin flights. Same is the case with China Southern after they left Skyteam. I don't get any benefits but I still get miles and XPs
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Airborne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 am
baberblues wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Fact of the matter is Karachi is still considered unsafe for them. They are surely not going to let their crew stay in KHI.
You know, i'm actually kind of wary with the unsafe statement, there is a hotel right on the doorstep of the airport the Ramada if i Am correct, surely they can kip a night there and head back. Lahore and Islamabad, heck even Pakistan is still not safe but they are flying to those places. Its about profit and money, Virgin would not be able to make much of a profit from Karachi as it would from Lahore and Islamabad, that is how it has always been. The Middle eastern airlines have got the market to themselves, heck wasn't emirates 7 daily PRE COVID one point. Plus Virgin does not have money at the minute and they need cash flow, i see from their point of view why they flew to Islamabad and Lahore over Karachi. But here's hoping Karachi does get some services again.
London Flyer
Registered Member

Post by London Flyer »

Very pleased for travellers to ISB and LHE! Will be interesting to see how this is marketed locally. Pakistani travel agents have a tendency to not provide the best deal to passengers because they receive higher commissions from PIA (saying flights are fully booked when they are not for example), at least in my experience. VS will have to engage with the travel agent network in Pakistan to be competitive given online bookings aren’t as common yet.

They also seem to be targeting the Pakistani diaspora but no doubt will help bring more tourists too.

My understanding was that VS had a pretty comprehensive partnership with Delta/AF/KLM. Would be surprised if miles don’t transfer.

https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/news ... artnership
umar744
Registered Member

Post by umar744 »

Many British-Pakistani staff work VS also Sir Richard Brandson good friend of British-Pakistani people also most Sikh people need flight to Lahore for Guru Pilgram also most British-Pakistani tourist need more flight busy to Lahore & ISB also LHE & ISB are very good sightseeing tour better than KHI
moboom
Registered Member

Post by moboom »

dragonfly wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm Interesting times ahead!.... The Viking Ship ( SK ) also very interested in opening CPH/OSL to ISB.....🤫 around same time as VS
Curious to know where these rumors about SK, LH and AF are materializing from.. none of these carriers have publicly discussed their plans for Pakistan.
dragonfly
Registered Member

Post by dragonfly »

VS never discussed it’s plans for Pakistan With the public due to security reasons and neither will LH KL and AF.
VS did update certain UK trade partners with whom they work closely On a need to know basis with the understanding they remain quite about its intention for Pakistan....I dropped a hint on MAN ISB route with BA intensionally in a previous post knowing VS intention.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Lufthansa and Air France interested in starting Pakistan flights, said Aviation Minister last year.

viewtopic.php?t=27941

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
moboom
Registered Member

Post by moboom »

dragonfly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 pm VS never discussed it’s plans for Pakistan With the public due to security reasons and neither will LH KL and AF.
VS did update certain UK trade partners with whom they work closely On a need to know basis with the understanding they remain quite about its intention for Pakistan....I dropped a hint on MAN ISB route with BA intensionally in a previous post knowing VS intention.
So, how close are we to getting more of these announcements?