Accidental Deployment of Evacuation Slide Delays Departure of PIA Flight PK-702 from Manchester

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
Ash0707
Registered Member

Re: Accidental Deployment of Evacuation Slide Delays Departure of PIA Flight PK-702 from Manchester

Post by Ash0707 »

According to the airline the door was armed. I can’t see how you can mistake a lavatory door for an emergency exit just doesn’t make sense. To open the emergency door it’s difficult and the lady in question was described as an elderly lady.
People are really fed up with PIA the state of some of the 777 fleet is a joke and makes you feel like your in 3rd world country. I recall flying when they were first introduced it made you proud and you enjoyed the flight.
I recall another incident a seat in the aisle was covered in vomit and it smelt really bad. What did the cabin crew do? Put a blanket over it not that the smell cleared. Like I’ve said in a previous post PIA are no longer competitive or decent.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Accidental Deployment of Evacuation Slide Delays Departure of PIA Flight PK-702 from Manchester

Post by Abbas Ali »

Urdu daily 'Express' June 15, 2019, edition.

PIA has formed a committee headed by Chief Pilot Corporate Safety Capt. Aamir Aftab to investigate deployment of airline's Boeing 777 aircraft evacuation slide at Manchester Airport.

Statements of flight attendants have been recorded.

Statement of passenger who opened the door L5 will also be recorded. Seat number 74A had been allocated to the passenger.

PIA Boeing 777-300ER seat map showing location of seat number 74A.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
TAILWIND
Registered Member

Post by TAILWIND »

Shouldn't UK CAA investigate this incident?

Someone from PIA informed that usaually B777-300 have a cabin crew of 14 to 16, however to curtail expenses, recently the crew has been reduced to 10 i.e one per door. At the time of incident, the door had been armed, but the cabin crew had moved away for some job and this lady could reach the door and open it without any crew observing.
I doubt the authenticity but still sharing for comments
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

^ Yes, according to Express newspaper report also, the flight attendants informed investigation committee about smaller number of cabin crew aboard the aircraft.

Urdu daily 'Dunya' June 15 edition news report.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
JayeHussain
Registered Member

Post by JayeHussain »

Hi all,
I travelled on this flight & was a couple of rows behind the lady in question (have attached copies of my flight ticket/boarding card - given how many people may assume I write this as second-hand knowledge).
Anyway to confirm, the lady was not elderly, she was somewhere between 25-30 maximum. She had 2 young children with her when she deployed the Evacuation Slide, but later transpired that her partner was also travelling with her but he had not accompanied her to the 'toilet.'
I can confirm there were no crew at the door when she did this as it created a huge noise when the evacuation slide was deployed & my immediate reaction was to turn to the door as I was in the Aisle seat and only a couple of rows from the door. After the noise, crew immediately ran to the door.
The whole episode was dealt with unprofessionally not just by PIA but also by the passengers. Immediately people started taking videos & creating commotion in the aircraft by shouting over one another and creating their own assumptions.
What was even more ridiculous was the way in which immediately everyone started pointing fingers at the lady, making snide comments (not just passengers but even the crew AND the ground handling agents).
It was only the British Transport Police that treated her with any level of respect (so Kudos to them).
I don't for a second believe she did this with any malicious intent nor was it done purposely. She had genuinely thought it was the entrance to the toilet. She was visibly shaken & upset & cowered into her seat immediately after she realized the damage her actions had caused.
After reading some of the comments (on Social Media & on this forum) it is appalling to see just how judgmental humans can be.
In terms to the flight, we boarded around 21:10 UK Time on the Friday evening & we eventually took off at 5am on the Saturday morning. The flight was around 7 hours and we landed into Islamabad around 4:05pm on the Saturday (12pm lunchtime in the UK). Around 100 passengers (including me) did not have our luggage when we arrived into Islamabad (that was absolutely chaotic). I had to travel back to Islamabad the day after (Sunday) to collect my luggage.
In terms to service, we were provided with Dinner on the ground (around 2am UK time), then what PIA classes as breakfast approximately 2 hours before landing. Other than that, the crew did not provide any drinks to passengers & given that we were on the aircraft for almost 15.5 hours I feel as though they could have offered passengers an additional snack. I did purchase a meal deal from the airport but gave that up to a fellow random passenger who was diabetic & felt like their blood sugars were dropping. Nonetheless the entire ordeal was not one I would like to ever partake in again & I do believe PIA need to work harder to deal with things that go wrong.
Nevertheless, happy that it was a safe flight & PIA did take the necessary precautions albeit after the incident occurred.
Thanks.
Jay Hussain

Tuti Fruiti
Registered Member

Post by Tuti Fruiti »

Thankyou for revealing the exact situation to the audience.
JayeHussain
Registered Member

Post by JayeHussain »

Tuti Fruiti wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:27 pm Thankyou for revealing the exact situation to the audience.
No probs.
adamalikhan
Registered Member

Post by adamalikhan »

What was the outcome of the investigations into this incident?

Apologies if I have you scratching your heads! This incident just popped into a conversation and I am just curious.
JayeHussain
Registered Member

Post by JayeHussain »

adamalikhan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 pm What was the outcome of the investigations into this incident?

Apologies if I have you scratching your heads! This incident just popped into a conversation and I am just curious.
Hey,
All I can share with you is this.
Thanks.
Jay

Dear Mr Hussain

Case xxxxxxxxxx

EC Regulation 261/2004

Thank you for your patience with the Civil Aviation Authority while we investigated the disruption of flight PK702 on 7 June 2019.

I am sorry to tell you that we have not received a response from Pakistan International Airlines PIA that contains further information required to resolve your complaint, despite our reminders.

In general, it is the airline which must prove that 'extraordinary circumstances' existed and as such they do not need to pay compensation under the Regulation. In the absence of any information from the airline to justify that your flight disruption fell under this exception, we have proceeded to consider your complaint based on the information provided by you. Based on that information provided by you and the lack of information provided by the airline, the CAA's opinion is that compensation would be payable in your case.

I appreciate that you will be disappointed with this response. Where we think a passenger has a genuine grievance against an airline we do our best to assist and mediate a solution. However, we do not have legal powers to impose a solution on an airline in the way that an ombudsman type scheme does.

Therefore, if you do wish to proceed with your complaint, you will need to decide whether you wish to issue a court claim. You can find consumer advice on taking a case to court at the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

If you do issue a court claim, you may make reference to the CAA's opinion above in support of your claim. However, you should be aware that Pakistan International Airlines PIA may provide further information in the course of the court proceedings to justify non payment.

If you do decide to take court action we would be very interested to hear about the outcome of your case as it may help us in our enforcement work.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Bell
Consumer Affairs Officer
Shared Service Centre - Aviation Services
Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT)
Civil Aviation Authority
Aviation House, Beehive Ring Road, Crawley, West Sussex RH6 0YR
www.caa.co.uk