Ilyushin Il-76 Freighter Crashes in Karachi

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
VirtualPIA
Registered Member

Ilyushin Il-76 Freighter Crashes in Karachi

Post by VirtualPIA »

All over the news, possibly AN-124. hope the crew + people on ground are safe.....
Last edited by Abbas Ali on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic title edited
The angle of arrival is inversely proportional to the probability of survival.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Antonov down at Karachi?

Post by Abbas Ali »

Crash site near Gulshan-e-Jamal/Naval Colony, Dalmia, area of Karachi.

Ilyushin Il-76 cargo aircraft according to news reports.

Took-off from Karachi Airport around 1:45AM (November 28) Pakistan time. Crashed some two minutes after take-off.

Aircraft's destination was in Sudan. Eight people were aboard the ill-fated aircraft.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
pk757
Registered Member

Post by pk757 »

It apparently caught fire in one of the right hand engines.(IL-76 IS 4 ENGINED A/C)
Got unbalanced and hit the groud belly up according to an eye witness. probably the other engines were not providing optimum power (as reqd for a reserve takeoff situation)
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Fierce/raging fire at crash site shown in live footage on local news channels. The aircraft must have been carrying significant amount of jet fuel for flight to Sudan from Karachi.

Ground casualties cannot be ruled out.

Aircraft type confirmed as Ilyusin Il-76 by Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) spokesman.

People aboard the aircraft included two foreign national pilots and six Pakistanis. One dead body recovered from crash site.

Fire at crash site shown on Geo.Tv.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Re: Ilyushin Il-76 Freighter Crashes in Karachi

Post by Abbas Ali »

* Aircraft's flight originated from Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, landed at Karachi Airport got refueled for flight to Khartoum, Sudan.

* Was carrying relief supplies/goods to Sudan from Fujairah.

* Aircraft was operated/owned by Sunway Airlines ?

* Eye witnesses saw flames/smoke emitted by at least one of the four jet engines of ill-fated aircraft which was struggling to gain height.

* Port side engine fire/technical problem experienced by the aircraft.

* Karachi ATC observed aircraft unable to gain height and contacted pilot who was not able to respond or had not sufficient time to provide info to ATC.

* Crash site at Naval housing colony, Dalmia, Karachi. Aircraft struck an underconstruction building.

Abbas

See you at:
Jacobin777
Registered Member

Post by Jacobin777 »

This area isn't too far from my begum's university...I hope those on the ground are ok and pray/give makfirah for the one's who have died...God/Allah SWT bless.... :(

There was a wedding not too far away...
Huraiz
Registered Member

Post by Huraiz »

Thats so tragic,just saw on the news,they saying 11 people have been killed including three on ground,hope this number doesnt rise.
Babushka99
Registered Member

Post by Babushka99 »

Very sad news indeed. Lets hope and pray for minimal losses.

Does anyone have the registration number of this aircraft?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

* All eight people aboard the aircraft were foreign nationals, according to latest reports. The eight member crew aboard the aircraft included:

2 x pilots
2 x flight engineers
1 x navigator
2 x technicians
1 x load master

* The aircraft was chartered by Georgian company Sunway Airline.

* The aircraft was carrying a a load of tents. Cargo load of 31 tonnes was carried by the aircraft.

* Tents were to be flown to Khartoum, Sudan.

* Aircraft was refueled at Karachi for flight duration of 7 hours and 40 minutes.

* Flight duration from Karachi to Khartoum is approximately 6 hours.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

* Aircraft was served at parking bay number 68 of Karachi Airport before departure.

* Conflicting information about cargo flight number given by news channels. Cargo flight numbers given by various channels include IMGCC-142, MGCC-4412 and simply 4412.

* So far no information about the registration or actual owner/operator of the aircraft.

Pakistan CAA should release info about aircraft registration and its owner/operator.

Abbas

See you at:
Moin
Registered Member

Post by Moin »

The crash site is approximately 10 mins away from my house by car but strangely enough I did not hear a thing. I got calls from my friends telling me what happened as I was playing FS at the time then went out to see the area but it was cordoned off by Police and only ambulances and emergency services were being let through. The flight path was directly over my house and I don't want to think what would have happened had it flown for another 2-3 mins.
Moin Abbasi
riz
Registered Member

Post by riz »

Abbas Ali wrote:
this looks like a flap actuator.
R 1 z .

PK > EK. EI ED FZ WY B6 G9 EY NL QR GF TG PF.
t_kaay
Registered Member

Post by t_kaay »

what was the reason for the flight stopping in Karachi if it was going from UAE to Sudan? Why not go direct to Sudan? Was it unloading/loading goods in Karachi?
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

* One news channel says the ill-fated Il-76 had ferried a PIA aircraft engine to Karachi.

* Another news channel says tents were loaded at Karachi Airport and the aircraft was refuelled at Karachi Airport.

* The aircraft arrived at Karachi around 11:10PM on November 27, according to a news channel. Another channel says the aircraft had arrived at Karachi around 3:00PM on November 27.

* One channel says the pilot contacted Karachi ATC about engine problem after take-off and sought permission for emergency landing.

* Another channel says 'Change over Control Tower to Radar' were the last words heard from aircraft crew.

* CAA spokesman says the crew of ill-fated aircraft did not give info about any emergency till the last moment. I think it means serious technical problem experienced by the aircraft did not give enough time to the crew to inform about it ATC. The aircraft crashed roughly within minute after take-off.

* According to news reporters the aircraft miraculously avoided hitting inhabited buildings located few feet away from crash site.

* Fire tenders sent from Karachi Airport were able to control fire at crash site.

Another piece belonging to crashed aircraft shown on Express News channel.

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Amateur video clip showing the ill-fated Ilyushin Il-76 hitting ground in Karachi.

One can see the aircraft was already on-fire before it struck the ground.

Abbas

See you at: