KHI-LHR PK787 10-04-15

Share photos of PIA, Pakistani airlines, Pakistani airports and photos related to civil & military aviation of Pakistan.
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

KHI-LHR PK787 10-04-15

Post by Zulfiqar »

I arrived at Jinnah Terminal at 9.10 am for the 11.00 flight PK 787 to London Heathrow. The terminal was quite busy as along with PK 787, passengers for Qatar airways, Saudia, Air Arabia flights were also checking in. The PIA counters were busy with what appeared to be a queue snaking towards the desks. It was actually a sort of an organised / disorganised chaos. Can't say which!

Some one was inspecting the passports and signing passport photocopies. I was surprised at this as despite asking PIA two days earlier if I need to take anything along I was told nothing was required. Luckily I had a copy of my passport. This chap claimed he was working on behalf of UK High Commission. I asked him that the high commission should ask PIA to state this on the e- ticket.

After about 45 minutes later, after telling off those with contacts jumping the queue, I managed to get to the desk. At the same time I was surprised that there was a shift change. The man at the check in left. Luckily the lady who replaced was faster at her job and very polite indeed. I immigration etc did not take too long and I went through at around 10'15.

Qatar A320 to Doha

Air Arabia A320 to Sharjah

Saudia A320 to Damman

PIA 772 AP-BGJ my ride to London

Shaheen 737-200s stored to the east of the airport. Other aircrafts have been moved since my last visit to Karachi

As I walked to the departure gates pre-boarding was announced. At about 10:45 people started boardiing. It was already 37C outside however inside the cabin was much hotter. The ground staff should fixed the generator/ air ducts etc. the cabin staff maintained that the air on will be on after the engine starts.

Water being served.

Emirates 777-300

Our push back was at 11:20- The Saudia A320 also departing

View of the international terminal while heading to the departure runway.

View of the domestic terminal. Note the smoke in the background. Rubbish was being burnt on the land adjacent to the airport approach road. Does rubbish not attract birds? CAA must know of this?

PIA 747-300

PAF base Faisal

However, I am writing this 2 hours into the fight and the temperature has I just the down to 30 C and a lot of people are complaining- and rightly so. The just came on the PA to announce the APU ( auxiliary power unit) broke down and the cabin temperature will go down to the set 22 C in about an hour.

During this time meal was served. Chicken qorma/ curry rice and curried vegetable . It was ok, however disappointed by the choice of desert, a dry sponge cake slice! Had to dunk it in my tea, which to my pleasant surprise was served with real milk and not creamer served on the inbound flight.

Snow covered mountains in Iran

I was surprised that after the meal they showed the passenger a video about etiquettes of how to sit on the seat and use of toilets. I hope people learn some manner from this

A knife drops into the toilet

Flying below the high clouds

Captain came around for a walk and. Heck the air conditioning. I had a brief chat with him .,.(Capt Mohamed Ayaz). He said the APU had to to fixed at 9 am but that was delay. However to depart on time he had to board us before the cabin cooled. Apparently. I heard that cabin temperature was also ver high. I guess with larger windows it would have been.

Approaching Black Sea coast of Bulgaria

Above Bucharest- Romania at 11585 m / 38000 ft

Two hours before arrival we were served afternoon tea. This included warn potato filled puff pastry, which was quite nice, chicken sandwiches and a cake slice. The sandwich I had the thinnest slices of bread which I don't mind but also the thinnest layer of chicken filling. Tea again was good.
Image[/URL]

We started descent with about 25 minutes to go. Seat belt sign turned on, however no one took notice nor did the crew ask people to settle down for another 15 minutes.

Went into a holding pattern with 6 loops over north East London before lining up for finals and landing at16;07, 37 minutes behind.
While making our loops we passed a few other aircrafts including a Biman 777-300 and a BA A319. Could not capture all due to clouds but here is the BA aircraft.

London City Airport

Skyscrapers at Canary Wharf London

Virgin A340 (Virgin Sun G-VSUN)[

British Airways A320 that landed ahead of us.

Royal Jordanian 787-800 parked next to our gate.

Made a quick exit through the immigrations but my luggage took about 30 minutes to arrive.

Enjoy and thanks for viewing.
Vaqar Khan
Registered Member

Re: KHI-LHR PK787 10-04-15

Post by Vaqar Khan »

Thanks for posting a comprehensive report. Did the flight have a full load? It appears that the IFE was working. What was the general condition of the aircraft interior?
baberblues
Registered Member

Post by baberblues »

Great trip report, PIA has such basic meals, really? a sandwich? They really need to change thier menu
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Zulfiqar do you also have larger photos of those in-flight meals?

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
Zulfiqar
Registered Member

Post by Zulfiqar »

Thanks for your feedback.

re meal pics: I will try to re-size the original again/ I did what i normally do on Photobucket but somehow uploading has made the photos smaller than I had planned. I will have to find a moment or two for that.

The flight was about 90% full on the way back to LHR and 100 % to KHI from LHR. IFE worked, crashed for the whole aircraft and then worked again later.

Meals are basic and so is the presentation of meals.
adamalikhan
Registered Member

Post by adamalikhan »

Great trip report

I flew MAN-ISB on 09/04 - the meals out of Manchester are extremely poor. My guess is these are brought in from ISB. In the past, there have been posts on here about food having gone off. It probably explains why there are no items such as salad or omlettes.

Previously before landing into ISB, an omlette with a croissant was served. Now, two dry and tasteless croissants were served.

I never eat much on board and understand that whilst on their aircraft I am not in a hotel/restaurant - however one still expects something half decent.
Omairi7
Registered Member

Post by Omairi7 »

Excellent Report.
But as i already wrote in my posts about the conditions of our planes from Inside. They are getting worst.
EK, EY, SV, PK, AIR BLUE, EASY JET, AA, TG, MH, FLY BE, VUELING, SAS, SWISS, LH, BA, AIR BERLIN, RYAN AIR, GERMAN WINGS, JET BLUE, U.A, QATAR , AZAL ...
saadm80
Registered Member

Post by saadm80 »

Very Interesting Trip Report, Interesting to see PIA showing In-Flight videos to educate Passengers, its a + for PIA, though they need to seriously revamp their Catering & Hire some Chefs who could reinvent and introduce New Cuisines, i mean till when They'll serve Korma and Rice, or Famous Biryani, PIA needs too add some variety, Like Italian, Chinese, or other Cuisines in their In-Flight Catering, if PIA wants to revive and compete with other Middle Eastern Carriers...
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

A retired PIA cabin crew member told me that aboard PIA Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation aircraft also film with instructions how to use lavatory was played. The airline had to stop playing that instructional film due to objections raised by some passengers.

There also was card with instructions in Urdu and Bangla languages telling passengers how to use lavatory aboard PIA Super Constellation.

Abbas
Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at: