PIA ending ISB-LBA-ISB imminently ...

Discuss issues and news related to PIA, Pakistani airlines and Pakistan's civil & military aviation.
lbaspotter
Registered Member

PIA ending ISB-LBA-ISB imminently ...

Post by lbaspotter »

As has been expected for a long time now it looks like PIA will be stopping there 2x weekly Islamabad - Leeds/Bradford service (PIA775/776) imminently. No more flights are showing or bookable on the airlines website after May 14th 2014.
I suppose this is due to the ageing Airbus A310's and PIA reluctance to use a Boeing 777-200, even though it was promised last year. It's a shame they have decided to do this now as passenger figures on the route are at an all time high.
Umair
Registered Member

Re: PIA ending ISB-LBA-ISB imminently ...

Post by Umair »

LBA is not capable of handling B772. I can't recall how many times forum members have discussed this topic regarding B772 operations to LBA. Also this was expected to happen sooner or later....PIA's A310 Fleet will be phased out by the end of next year 2015, so I can't see which other PIA A/C will be able to operate to Leeds. Maybe if they can acquire A319LR's.
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

LBA is fully capable of handling a 772 or even a 747 (has done so in the past).
TAC777
Registered Member

Post by TAC777 »

Actually PIA is introducing seven days a week flights to Manchester by B777.This is going to be the first destination in Europe and USA having daily flights.
Umair
Registered Member

Post by Umair »

AN wrote:LBA is fully capable of handling a 772 or even a 747 (has done so in the past).
But that would require MTOW & MLW Restrictions to be in place. A B772 configured to fly with 329 pax carrying 70% of that load....Talk about Flight Economics? but than it's PIA and what other airlines would dare to think about, PIA would do so. I can't think of one airline that flies into LBA with a B777 or B747 providing scheduled services....or has done so in the past. Such hunky dory operations can take place in places like MUX, where these giants come and occupy the RWY until they're ready to roll. AN....Sorry mate you could do that in MUX etc....but LBA....(NO CHANCE).
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

Umair wrote:But that would require MTOW & MLW Restrictions to be in place.
772/3 can land at mlw without restriction at LBA.

Also, UK-PAK are relatively short flights for the 777 so a 777 will never be close to MTOW.
Feel free to add me to your MSN!
AN
Registered Member

Post by AN »

Umair some data to back this up please?
First off all why would you want to takeoff a 772 from LBA at MTOW? even if you could fill it (which you couldnt), and put in enough fuel to fly to Pakistan, it still wouldnt be NEAR MTOW. There are no MLW penalities and MTOW Penalties IF ANY would not harm the load factor as any flight ot PAkistan wouldnt require enough fuel to be anywhere near MTOW.

So please dont change your story. First you said LBA isnt capable. Then you said restrictions. Please lets end the ever changing stories here.

As far as a 773 goes, I dont think theyre able for that yet.
A310
Registered Member

Post by A310 »

I remember they had planned B772 from 15th March 2013 onwards to operate 775 to Leeds. But the flight was cancelled. As there are a lot of changes in PIA scheduling like aircraft change at last minute or so, maybe thats why they're not taking this risk as they don't have any backup aircraft, so this service would be intermittent. AN is right, a B772 has landed at LBA in past.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

Dil Dil Pakistan... Jaan Jaan Pakistan

See you at:
imiakhtar
Registered Member

Post by imiakhtar »

Feel free to add me to your MSN!
umar744
Registered Member

Post by umar744 »

I have been seen Wardair Canada 747 in LBA last 28 years ago. Yes PIA 772 can LDG and T/O LBA no problem but 772 full payable load 199,000kg. LBA-ISB 8 hours x 6000kg 48,000kg plus 2 hours 12,000kg = 60,000kg yes 772 can T/O 260,000kg from LBA to ISB no problem do not worry too much. 747-400 can LDG and T/O at LBA no problem but PIA has NO enough aircraft to LBA because of A310 phase out.
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA has confirmed the end of airline's flights for Leeds Bradford Airport, according to news report on following link:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/mai ... -1-6580746

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA Leeds-Bradford fights were suffering heavy losses, according to airline's spokesperson.
PIA said "this decision has been taken due to heavy losses being incurred on this route".

A PIA spokesman said: "Despite our best efforts, the route's economics have not been very promising.

"The major reason behind this rationale is very high operational costs due lack of fuel-efficient aircraft."
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-27162086

Abbas

See you at:
Abbas Ali
Site Admin

Post by Abbas Ali »

PIA's veteran Airbus A310-308 registration AP-BDZ operated airline's last flight PK-775 from Islamabad to Leeds-Bradford Airport on May 14, 2014.

Click here to see large photo. (Photo by Simon A. Baskerville)

Abbas

See you at: